(N)PC character generation tool

pansophy

Hi folks,

I did a small tool to create NPC's on the fly. Let me know what you think :)

---

A generator for NPC according to BRP core rules. Randomly creates Characteristics, Traits and Features all from the creation rules.

Villain section for traits included, to give a more decent overview of the NPC.

MacVersion available as well.

---

OSX NPC Creation Tool

Windows NPC Creation Tool

You get 12 out 10 for this

The bonus 2 is for coding it so it runs on my ancient PPC Mac as well as johnny-come-lately intel ones.

Any chance of posting the table/list of villain traits for when I want some inspiration not the job done for me?

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Thanks for the good press :) I could also do a Linux version if there is any interest for it.

The thing is programmed in RealBasic, a kind of Visual Basic. It can also cross-compile programs for the mentioned three platforms.

@Al: no, I cannot post the tables. You would need to buy the "Ultimate Toolkit" to get them. Click on the "About" button and then on the picture showing the "Ultimate Toolbox". It will open a web browser directing you to the corresponding RPGnow site. :)

Let me know if you are missing something in the program. I will see what I can do. ;)

There's a new version available that allows you to re-roll the Villain Traits individually (click the [/] buttons). Also it incorporates my Minion rules, so you get nice different Mooks every time. The results are interesting, I am very impressed myself. :)

The NPC generator tool will be an ongoing thing. I will include some tables for loot, mundane things, weather, terrain features, maybe a world builder, a solar system creation tool, ship cargo, maybe a small adventure hook creation and some name tables. I will program these parts as I need them, so it will definitely take a while.

That said, the NPC generator is the most complex part. The solar system creation might be complex as well, but I already did it in a spreadsheet - so it will be mainly conversion stuff.

Simple tables are nothing special and can be done within 20 minutes. If anybody has an idea for a table he wants to see, simply post the table entries comma separated in this thread. I will include them in the next update then.

The tool will be free of charge and I hope it will be a community effort to make it as good as it can be. Anybody can be part of it. :)

I also like the idea it will be a BRP tool, since there are not many around for this rule set.

So, let the "tables" be coming ... ;t)

Hi folks,

I was bored and updated the tool a bit. It now includes a lot of random tables and the Creature Crafter by Tom Pigeon. There's a Star System creation, weather tool, land/camp feature table, and so much more now. Here's a picture that should explain it a bit better:

BRP Tool

Please use the download links in the first post. As soon as the Download area of the forum will work again, I will put the files there.

Version 1.7 of this tool will generate characters, an adventure, and summarize the adventure along with skill increases. Why waste time actually playing when technology has you covered? ;)

Seriously though, very cool of you to code this up for us, pansophy. :)

LOL

actually I like the idea of rolling dice and rolling on random tables. But the time it takes and the unsatisfying results it can give, I decided to do this tool. Also, I have so many random tables, but I rarely use them, simply because I forget about them. An other thing is the creature crafter. It is a fantastic toolset, but rolling and calculating everything is time consuming. I love the idea of "one click - great result - or re-roll". Same with NPCs. It takes time to roll stats, come up with them and then a good villain ... I do not spend a lot time to create adventures, as my players usually divert in a complete different way and I have to improvise anyway. So this is where fast character/creature creators help me (without remembering where I put that table, that book or anything) ;)

With the help of this tool I am able to run an adventure mostly on the fly without much initial development time. All I need is a general idea, a plot or a thought. These I usually get from all this wonderful plot hook books (Eureka, 100 Things, etc). The rest is done now mainly on the fly and with the Mythic GME table. Really fun. :)

• 2 years later...

Hello...

Sorry for my english, I'm french.

I like a lot this very usefull tool. Where can I download the last version ?

ORtrail

Version 1.7 of this tool will generate characters, an adventure, and summarize the adventure along with skill increases. Why waste time actually playing when technology has you covered?

I don't find this version and this option...

A dream within a dream...

Hm. Chrome is telling me "NPC-Creator Win.zip is malicious, and Chrome has blocked it." Any idea what might be annoying Chrome here?

EDIT - Besides that little hiccup I've been playing around with the tool (brought to me by the magic of Firefox) and it's a great asset. I'm sure I'll be using it quite a bit.

Edited by SokMunki

I did a small tool to create NPC's on the fly. Let me know what you think :)

Awesome, the only thing better than random generators are computerised random generators.

I wish I could program, I'd like to steal your code and make one for RuneQuest 6.

Totally, but I meant as a desktop executable.

What are the key thngs why you would like it to be desktop executable... The current rq6 generator version can be used from most anything Desktop would be limited to one or few platforms... If you can elaborate on your use case perhaps we can suggest ways of using the current one in ways that would be closer to your use case.

It is unlikely that it will be developed by the original team to run as a desktop version. Code is available in github but much of the content is actually crowdsourced database.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the good press :) I could also do a Linux version if there is any interest for it.

The thing is programmed in RealBasic, a kind of Visual Basic. It can also cross-compile programs for the mentioned three platforms.

I'd love a Linux version if you could do one. :)