BRP Eagle.

Atgxtg

No not the bird.

For those who expressed an interest. This is the first two pages of my latest draft of the Space:1999 Eagle Transporter written up for BRP.

A couple of notes:

1) I based the mass of 328 tons off of the YV episode Black Sun rather than the now offical 238 tons used by Carlton and in Geoffrey Mandell's blueprints. A 238mt Eagle would be SIZ 106.

2) I based the speed and acceleration of the Eagle based on the "window" they had to reach Alpha from a planet in the episode All that Glistens, rather than use the official/blueprint 0.15c version. For one thing the Eagle in the blueprints would run out of fuel before it could reach 0.15c. For another if it could go that fast, it makes the much more likely that they could have evacuated everyone could have evacuated Alpha and gotten back to Earth before the Moon got too far form the Solar System.

3) STR listed is for the combined thrust of the four thrusters. They would be rated at STR 264 each. Oh, and since that seems to be above the cut off point for the RQ3 SIZ formula, the actual STR would be much higher in BRP terms, but I needed the logarithmic function for performance calculations.

4) Maneuver rating (plus a few others) is due for a overhaul one the final BRP rules are released. There is only so much that can be done "flying blind".

Hope this doesn't suck. :o

eagleteasev2page1mq4.png

eagleteasev2page2ix4.png

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

"Outside of an atmosphere, the Eagle can accelerate at 117.4 g's."

Is 117.4 g's accurate? If so, even if that occurs only during remote piloting, what's the fuel usage?

Accurate in Sci-Fi is a subjective term.

I think it is accurate according to the episode All that Glistens where the Eagle has to travel to and from a planet 2580000 miles away in under 4 days. with a 3 hour return window.

So to travel 2, 580,000 miles in under 46.5 hours (2 days) you would need to an average speed of average speed of 55,484mph, or 89,273kph.

After that is is a matter of using Distance, Speed time calculations to work out the acceleration.

It anyone has a copy of the constant acceleration formula and wants to test it, yet e know what you get. I think I did it right, but might have used the wrong formula. I'll check again tonight.

But then, this is a Sci Fi, show and data rarely hold ups to scrutiny. Especially from episode to episode. The Enterprise would never make it to all those star systems each week.

Oops, :o

Looks like I used the velocity formula rather than the distance formula for the Eagle's Accleration.

Revised math:

assuming an initial veloctiy of 0 m/s when learing orbit (it would be higher, but then we are ignoring the time it takes to get to orbit), then:

s=1/2 at^2

s=2075610000m (the midpoint between the planet and Alpha)

t=83700 seconds (43 hors, 15 minutes or time to reach the midpoint)

the a=2s/(t^2)

a=4151220000/(83700^2)

a=4151220000/7,005690000

a=0.5925m/s

or mind bogglingly slow. :(

It looks like I have to look at the situation more as a fuel limitation than an acceleration limit. I'll go over a few of the other data points given on the show and see what can work out.

Cool stuff. I like the way it has hit locations, maybe it should have a hit location table too? :happy:

SGL.

It does, but that's on page 6 or so of the write-up.

Since the Eagle is the only space ship in the series and is modular with abunch of different utility pods I am putting some detail into it.

That is why this is only the first two pages.

I just have to get some more speed data and rework the engines. Ironically, it look like the orginal lower STR engines that I first gave it for 4gs or so might have been "correct" after all.

Data is a bit sketchy for the show and what there is isn't consistent.

And a big thanks to Daefaroth, :thumb:

If if wasn't for him I might not have checked my math! :eek:

I've got other stuff for this too like character generation notes, the TSLA PDW (the Laser/Stunner), Commlocks and other stuff. I just posted a preview.

the a=2s/(t^2)

a=4151220000/(83700^2)

a=4151220000/7,005690000

a=0.5925m/s

or mind bogglingly slow. :(

But near weightless conditions (1/20th g) although it does reach 178000 Km/Hr or 49.5 km/sec at its fastest, which is quite quick.

The NSTAR Ion Drive used in the Deep Space mission has a thrust of 0.096N which accelerates 1 Kg at 0.096m/s^2, or 1/50th of your calculated acceleration, so it's a lot faster than current ion drives, but at 328,000 Kg, you'd have to use 1.64 million times as much fuel as the current ion drives.

So, if you want high velocity over long periods of time then current technology is fine. If you want to cover long distances over short periods of time then you need lowish acceleration, if you need to move large objects you ned massive amounts of fuel or some new-fangled or made-up technology.

But, the point of SciFi is that it is Fiction, so made-up technology is fine.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Since the Eagle is the only space ship in the series and is modular with abunch of different utility pods I am putting some detail into it.

What about the Hawk? That was designed as a fast attack craft and looks damned cool!

Space: 1999 Catacombs- Hawk

Now, I know it doesn't feature as part of the Moonbase Alpha fleet, but its still too cool a ship to ignore (and who's to say that Koenig doesn't have a couple stached somewhere in a secret hangar that he hasn't even told Dr Russell about in one of their little trysts...?)

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

What about the Hawk? That was designed as a fast attack craft and looks damned cool!

Now, I know it doesn't feature as part of the Moonbase Alpha fleet, but its still too cool a ship to ignore (and who's to say that Koenig doesn't have a couple stached somewhere in a secret hangar that he hasn't even told Dr Russell about in one of their little trysts...?)

Hey, that's a really cool idea! :thumb:

BRP Ze 32/420

Working on the Mark IX Hawk, Swift and Superswift and even the Mark II Dove. Might just do the UltraProbe as well.

Problem is, that as far as the series is concerned the only ones the Alphas get thier hands on is a Swift. Supposedly all the Hawks were destroyed when Space Dock went up.

The stats can be a bit tough though, since the stats in the blueprints don't match the on screen references (Speed of 0.22c vs 0.15c while on TV the Hawks were noted as being about twice as fast).

But near weightless conditions (1/20th g) although it does reach 178000 Km/Hr or 49.5 km/sec at its fastest, which is quite quick.

The NSTAR Ion Drive used in the Deep Space mission has a thrust of 0.096N which accelerates 1 Kg at 0.096m/s^2, or 1/50th of your calculated acceleration, so it's a lot faster than current ion drives, but at 328,000 Kg, you'd have to use 1.64 million times as much fuel as the current ion drives.

So, if you want high velocity over long periods of time then current technology is fine. If you want to cover long distances over short periods of time then you need lowish acceleration, if you need to move large objects you ned massive amounts of fuel or some new-fangled or made-up technology.

But, the point of SciFi is that it is Fiction, so made-up technology is fine.

Yeah, just from design considerations I need the ship to be able to do the sort of things in game that it does on screen. Based on some of the other travel times given, at least a 4g acceleration is required. Plus, there is a real world problem with low acceleration. It takes much more fuel.

I'm just going to look at a few more episodes to dig up some more references, and see what works best.

For this case it could be just as easily assumed that they did the one thing that almost never happens on TV sci-fi shows. Did enough burn to reach the desired velocity and then cut their thrusters. A short, high burn, let's say 10gs, since the eagle hast anti-grav, would let the Eagle hit a speed sufficient to reach Alpha in a matter of minutes or hours, then it could cruise most of the way and apply breaking power toward the end. It's actually the way NASA does it.

Of course if it were me, I'd used the gravity projected to cancel out part of the Eagle's mass to allow for some massive acceleration at low thrust, as would anyone who had such a device.

But, yeah, it is a Sci-Fi TV show, and one that has a fairly shaky premise to begin with, so there is only so much I can expect from made up tech.

I'm just trying to make sure the Eagles can do in the game what they can do on the show. More or less. And trying to made some sort of consistent framework for itself. Space:1999 is one of the few Sci-Fi series without FTL drives so the sublight speeds are a bit more important.

The starship combat maneuvers system I've got in the works uses abstract range bands and movement anyway so the final numbers won't make much of a difference in combat terms.