Hello everyone! I'm a newcomer :)

Nakana

Hello all! I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself to the community and provide a little backstory on how I came to be here.

Quick run-down of my gaming history:

My first experience with pen and paper rpgs was Basic D&D several years ago and I throughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that I ventured out on my own and got into D&D 4th/Essentials as it was the current edition at the time. This lead to discovering about 3.0/3.5 and I really liked that edition as well. I also learned of the "edition wars". The edition wars kind of put a bad taste in my mouth about the whole D&D thing. I completely understand preferring one over the other, but I don't understand people making it THAT serious.

The whole point of an rpg to me, is to enjoy the game and time with friends. Fighting over rules and/or being restricted in HOW to play a game started to take something away from the experience for me. I didn't like the idea of "playing it wrong", and that's how it started to feel.

So I started to look elsewhere.

Enter: Chaosium

As odd as it may sound, I found out about the Golden Book before any other product from Chaosium. (It seems like most people know about the BGB by way of CoC or RQ, etc.) Needless to say my hardcover copy of the Golden Book came in a few days ago and it's exactly what I've been looking for! It's the perfect balance of rules (and optional rules) to have a game system, yet a lack of rules to let your imagination soar and develop the exact game/system/setting you want and allow FUN to be the primary objective!

Fun Fact: Come to find out my aunt has known about BRP for decades as she played (and still has) a ton of original RQ, Glorantha, Elric!, Stormbringer,etc. books from the 80's. She was quite happy to hear about my excitement of BRP.

I've also been lurking these forums for a little while and I gotta say overall I like the vibe and atmosphere here a lot more than what I've seen on WoTC and rpg.net

I'm located on the MS Gulf Coast, so if there are any players close to that area feel free to pm me.

I know it's been a wall of text but that's it. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here!

Cheers,

Nakana

EDIT: Ok, this was suppose to be posted under Alastor's Skull Inn. I apologize for the mishap. Hopefully a moderator can move it? I'll see about contacting someone.

Edited by Nakana
Wrong forum

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Welcome aboard!

This is definitely a friendly forum and people are glad to help with any queries, so feel free to post away.

Hopefully, you'll have as much fun with BRP as we have.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Howdy Nakana. Welcome to the forums!

The whole point of an rpg to me, is to enjoy the game and time with friends. Fighting over rules and/or being restricted in HOW to play a game started to take something away from the experience for me. I didn't like the idea of "playing it wrong", and that's how it started to feel.

I heartily agree! Another thing that keeps me playing BRP is that it is fairly transparent rules wise. The character sheet really informs the player of what they can and can't do. Another thing that I really like is how fast the game moves. No being bogged down in hours long combat!

70/420

From time to time I tend to look at other RPGs, looking for "the one SciFi game" I would like to play. But I always come back to BRP as it is intuitive and easy to teach. Converting a setting is a charm and gameplay is fast. It might look a bit "old school", but then, who cares if it runs smoothly and people have fun with it.

I like it the way it is.

BRP is the best choice, then. There are so many optional rules and different ways of handling things that there can't be a wrong (neither a good) manner of playing. It's all a matter of preference.

Fun Fact: Come to find out my aunt has known about BRP for decades as she played (and still has) a ton of original RQ, Glorantha, Elric!, Stormbringer,etc. books from the 80's. She was quite happy to hear about my excitement of BRP.

Yeah, I would take a long look through the RPG collection your aunt has. :) For the most part, many RPGs age well -BRP in particular. You should find a lot of inspiration. Is there a particular genre or RPG experience you are wanting to try? Take a look at the download section here (if you haven't already) and you can see a number of BRP conversions for various settings.

Oh, and welcome.

ORtrail,

I haven't read through them all cover to cover, but I have definitely thumbed through them and picked various sections to check out.

As far as genres go, high fantasy is always a classic. Although, I must admit I prefer things a little more Tolkienish than Gloranthan. I really like the world of Shadowrun, yet I don't play it because I absolutely loathe dice pool systems. (Statement of preference not quality of system).

Right now, what I am mostly interested in is a modern setting similar to some d20 Modern campaign models but with some twists.

What genres do you prefer?

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

I'm a big fan of super heroes, time travel, and post apocalyptic gaming. BRP is excellent for time travel/dimension hopping adventures. Low level supers work well (Hawkeye, Captain America, Batman on up to about Spider-Man power levels) with BRP. I've done the vast majority of PA gaming with Gamma World (1st and 2nd editions), but BRP can do it too. If someone ever completes a BRP version of Jorune, I am SO THERE! :)

I should add that, after playing the BRP system, I find that characters advancing by levels in RPGs annoys me.

Edited by ORtrail