Question to other monograph authors: payment schedule?

I have a question to the other monograph authors out there?

What is the schedule for receiving payment? Is it after a certain number have been sold? Once a year? On submission?

Also, what has been your experience corresponding with Chaosium? No one at Chaosium is returning my e-mails so they haven't answered my questions. I don't know if it's a spam filter issue or if they are deliberately not responding to my e-mails for some reason (too busy, they're annoyed at me for some reason, whatever).

Christian Conkle

Blogs: Geek Rampage! - Swords of Cydoria - Exiled in Eris

I have a question to the other monograph authors out there?

What is the schedule for receiving payment? Is it after a certain number have been sold? Once a year? On submission?

Also, what has been your experience corresponding with Chaosium? No one at Chaosium is returning my e-mails so they haven't answered my questions. I don't know if it's a spam filter issue or if they are deliberately not responding to my e-mails for some reason (too busy, they're annoyed at me for some reason, whatever).

Emails have always been a notoriously unreliable method of getting hold of Chaosium. Iirc I received payment once the monograph became available in print.

Telephone is probably the best method of communicating.

Cheers,

Nick

I submitted a monograph a year ago and have not been able to get in contact with e-mails ever since. It is pretty frustrating. I did get through by phone and they said they still planned on getting around to it sometime. It is disturbing that you have not been paid for your monograph yet. If I remember right, I was paid after the Green was printed. I did have to get in touch and request it though.

294/420

No communication and delayed payment. Good way to scare off potential free-lance writers.

I've e-mailed different Chaosium members about the results of the assorted writing contests with no answer. No sure if that's worth a toll call, though. Collecting payment would be.

I think it took about 8 months to get the payment for my Aces High:New mexico book, don't think it had anything to do with the print schedule. Dustin always came through for me in the end though, but he doesn't hold the purse strings...

And yes, it is incredibly frustrating.

Edited by MrJealousy

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

After i finished Operation Ulysses i was paid right away, but i took my pay in Chaos Bucks so i cant say how things would have gone if they had to cut me a check. I have been working on a Zombie Apocalypse monograph for them for the last year or so. Periodicaly i send them an email to let them know how its going but i dont think ive received a reply from Dustin in around 8 months. I was a bit worried but if the same thing is happening to everyone i guess they are ultra busy working on the Orient Express set or god forbid 7th ED.

I personally think Chaosium is treating Evilschemer, Puck and Mr Jealousy poorly. I want to see more work from each of these guys and it ain't going to happen if they are unhappy. I also think it is bullshit for these guys to badger to get paid for their work.

Evilschemer please post here when you get paid or work something out with them. They are not getting another cent from me until they start doing right by their authors.

Edit:

I e-mailed Dustin and asked him to look in on this thread and informed him of my concern. Probably should have called though:7

Edited by filbanto

Ok, Ok...given the pittance paid to authors, I officially apologize for giving Rodney a bit of grief over Classic Fantasy revisions. Clearly its a labor of love and it's not about the money. Rodney, thanks for your efforts on Classic Fantasy! (And I'll buy Classic Fantasy II as soon as you get in on the market)

Wow, I thought Chaosium was past these sorts of issues.

They are not getting another cent from me until they start doing right by their authors.

I'm with Filbanto. No more of my money to Chaosium unless they are paying their authors.

129/420