Current List?

g33k

H'lo, all...

Does anyone (I'd assume Chaosium, but really "anyone") maintain a list of

all currently-available BRP-based games and/or setting/worldbooks?

:?

Thanks!

- Steve, the g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well, obviously I'd like all the above -- everything BRP-flavored ever produced, clearly marked as in-print or not, and its relationship(s) / position within the extended family of BRP-derived products! :P

But realistically, anything in-print, that can reasonably be used with any of the major versions of BRP-engine that are also currently in-print. :)

Whatever's compatible with any of the games visible at the top level of the forum -- "BRP" + the things in "The Extended Family". ;D

For example, "The Company" (which I know about, but wasn't sure of the BRP-version it was based upon) wasn't showing up on a BRP-Central site-search, so I found the info else-site (via Google)... but that made me realize how useful it would be if there was just a list of "here's what's available."

C'es ne pas un .sig

I could easily set up a site for something like that, but it would have to be community driven.

Would people want this enough to do the research and contribute to the content?

Would people want this enough to donate a few bucks to help with server costs? (Mainly just registration which is about $15 a year, I already have a server)

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Well, http://www.soltakss.com/alternateearthrq/AESupplements.html shows the current Alternare Earth supplements available for BRP/RQ/Legend/OQ/Reneaissance.

Extending something like that to cover all available supplements should be fairly easy, but it might be difficult to maintain.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I could easily set up a site for something like that, but it would have to be community driven.

Would people want this enough to do the research and contribute to the content?

Perhaps. It would be nice to see Privateers & Gentlemen and Midnight At the Well of Souls get mentioned as BRP related.

Would people want this enough to donate a few bucks to help with server costs? (Mainly just registration which is about $15 a year, I already have a server)

Nope. At least I wouldn't. I mean really, what for? I could see someone compiling a list and putting up up someplace like, say, here. Say in the downloads section, and maybe updating it ever so often to note new releases. Or maybe adding it to that wiki that people talk about.

Folks like Rob, Rosen and Simon will no doubt keep up with their own products- those guys give great support-as soltakss's post and webpage shows. I'm sure Pete & Loz wouldn't mind keeping us updated with RQ6 supplements (again great support), or at least that somebody on the forum wouldn't mind doing so on their behalf. Ditto Mongoose (okay, I don't like 'em but they do give some decent support) and Chaosium (best reached through HeroQuesting).

But really, why set up a webpage and pay for a server just to do a list of what is and what was?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

But really, why set up a webpage and pay for a server just to do a list of what is and what was?

There are many free wiki sites that could be used for this purpose...

Nope.

Exactly.

Or maybe adding it to that wiki that people talk about.

I was not aware a wiki already existed.

That was kind of my point... However, if I were to take something like that on, it would be way more than a simple list. I was thinking more along the lines of a full resource guide to everything. Photo of book cover, publisher information, summary of what the book covered, possible links for purchasing, etc.

But ultimately, I wouldn't want the task of doing it alone and/or paying for it completely out of pocket myself. Those two questions serve as a sort of litmus test to determine if it's really worthwhile doing..

I was not aware a wiki already existed.

I thought there was a BRP wiki out there somewhere. Maybe my memory's faulty. Time to upgrade to solid state.

That was kind of my point... However, if I were to take something like that on, it would be way more than a simple list. I was thinking more along the lines of a full resource guide to everything. Photo of book cover, publisher information, summary of what the book covered, possible links for purchasing, etc.

Okay, but why? I mean the old stuff is pretty much out of print and only available by paying through the nose, or by downloading fan-produced PDFs (with something like the Ringworld Companion going for $90 on Amazon, I can't say as I blame people for scanning thier out of print stuff). The newer is gets plenty of exposure, assuming one is aware of the half dozen or so companies producing BRP related products. I don't see where a picture of the box cover and summary of, say, Ringworld or ElfQuest, is going to do anyone any good.

But ultimately, I wouldn't want the task of doing it alone and/or paying for it completely out of pocket myself. Those two questions serve as a sort of litmus test to determine if it's really worthwhile doing..

I don't blame you. And frankly I don't think it is worth doing. I could see it if there was some purpose to it. But why do a ton of work and spend you own money so some reseller at Amazon can jack up his prices thanks to the increased awareness?

Personally, I'd rather see some of the rules, variants and other stuff that has appeared in BRP related supplemnts but didn't make it into the BRG get collected somewhere. Stuff such as the SIZ table from the boxed Superworld; the starting skills as the sum of several attributes from the original Magic World, and ElfQuest,;perpetual Strike Ranks from Ringworld, Ki skills from RQ3's Land of the Ninja - that sort of thing. That's the stuff that we are going to lose if someone doesn't collect it.

Personally, I'd rather see some of the rules, variants and other stuff that has appeared in BRP related supplemnts but didn't make it into the BRG get collected somewhere. Stuff such as the SIZ table from the boxed Superworld; the starting skills as the sum of several attributes from the original Magic World, and ElfQuest,;perpetual Strike Ranks from Ringworld, Ki skills from RQ3's Land of the Ninja - that sort of thing. That's the stuff that we are going to lose if someone doesn't collect it.

Just curious, but if that was part of the site as well would it be enough to pass the litmus test? Would you contribute financially or content-wise? (I do not mean that to be cheeky, but sincere.)

I think that part of the reason that this is being discussed is because a consolidation of everything that is "out there" would be nice and convenient.

I think a larger part of it is (and I hope this doesn't get me burned by anyone) a lot of people love BRP/d100; some of those people may feel that more could be done, than what is being done to grow the community. So what happens (or at least what seems to me) is you get a lot of people coming up with ideas of what they would do to help grow the community. Some are good ideas, some are not/some are economically feasible, some are not, but there is a sense that the product line is struggling. [Or maybe complacent would be a better word]

Much of what is being discussed in this thread supports the point I'm trying to make.

On the flip side however, BRP may be doing a lot better than anyone realized and we just aren't aware of it because Chaosium is slow as molasses and doesn't really tell us anything. =\ (I know that Chaosium is like only 4 or 5 people and some freelancers, but I personally do not find that to be an acceptable excuse.If they hired a few more people, grew the company, and put out more products that people are asking for, then more money would start flowing in. They'd certainly get more of my money, that's for sure.)

Just curious, but if that was part of the site as well would it be enough to pass the litmus test? Would you contribute financially or content-wise? (I do not mean that to be cheeky, but sincere.)

I might. I'd have to think about it. The trick would be seeing just how much of the system could be put up without running into problems with Chaosium. We;d have to reword everything to avoid copyright infringement, and, I doubt they'd be happy to see thier entire system up on line somehwere.

Now if we focused on just the stuff that is out of print or outdated, we might not ruffle as many feathers. I doubt they'd get ticked off if we posted the skill list and skill base formulas from ElfQuest.

I think that part of the reason that this is being discussed is because a consolidation of everything that is "out there" would be nice and convenient.

I think a larger part of it is (and I hope this doesn't get me burned by anyone) a lot of people love BRP/d100; some of those people may feel that more could be done, than what is being done to grow the community. So what happens (or at least what seems to me) is you get a lot of people coming up with ideas of what they would do to help grow the community. Some are good ideas, some are not/some are economically feasible, some are not, but there is a sense that the product line is struggling. [Or maybe complacent would be a better word]

I know the feeling, but there is little I think we can really do about it. Chaosium either will not or cannot support the system more, and from what I've read from those who've tried, dealing with them is difficult enough to chase off third party publishers. Pretty much everyone who's done a BRP supplement has moved on to other, related systems.

What BRP needs is a killer setting using the system. The kind of thing The Chaosium used to be doing every six months.

Much of what is being discussed in this thread supports the point I'm trying to make.

On the flip side however, BRP may be doing a lot better than anyone realized and we just aren't aware of it because Chaosium is slow as molasses and doesn't really tell us anything. =\ (I know that Chaosium is like only 4 or 5 people and some freelancers, but I personally do not find that to be an acceptable excuse.If they hired a few more people, grew the company, and put out more products that people are asking for, then more money would start flowing in. They'd certainly get more of my money, that's for sure.)

No. Think about it. If they were doing a "lot better", they wouldn't be slow as molasses.

To be fair though, I don't think the money would stat rolling in if they hired more people and upped production. This isn't 1980. RuneQuest is no longer the sa huge fanbase to support it.