Brief first look at Adventures in Glorantha (RQ6) preview

hkokko

Hard to say what would be the exact page count to add. There is probably merging to happen. For example character backgrounds. Folk magic could merge quite well with perhaps one extra page, material on pricing could merge as well. For others it is more about editorial choices, the role of art - this preview had quite a few pictures. I hope that the font size is kept like it is - the current RQ6 and AiG font size is very readable.

Guest Vile Traveller

Jeff posted on RPG.net that the Chaosium RuneQuest page count would definitely be 320 pages or less, so I guess a lot of consolidation will have to happen to make 456 + 212 ≤ 320.

Edited by Vile

I think there will need to be major concessions in the RQG book, both for the RQ6 mechanics, and also the AiG content; there will be no way to make a decent page count otherwise.

I would hate to see too many concessions regarding the RQ6 mechanics themselves, given how robust the system is.

I think the RQG book will only have superficial Gloranthan content, and much of this content from AiG will need to be published under a subsequent volume, or perhaps spaced out over a series of volumes I suspect.

It is a shame in some respects, however I am relatively happy that RuneQuest and Chaosium are surviving. If this is the cost, then it is not too bad.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller

I haven't seen the Guide to Glorantha, but according to a poster on RPG.net the layout manages to squeeze a lot more words into one page than RQ6. It would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison shot of the interior of both books. Perhaps that's one way the page count will be reduced while the content is increased. I'm only assuming the amount content will be increased based on hkokko's review, as there seem to be a lot more spells and creatures, but maybe all of those won't be in Chaosium RuneQuest.

I haven't seen the Guide to Glorantha, but according to a poster on RPG.net the layout manages to squeeze a lot more words into one page than RQ6. It would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison shot of the interior of both books. Perhaps that's one way the page count will be reduced while the content is increased. I'm only assuming the amount content will be increased based on hkokko's review, as there seem to be a lot more spells and creatures, but maybe all of those won't be in Chaosium RuneQuest.

Well, yes, the GtG is rather dense in word count per page; a very nice three column layout. However, something else to consider is that it is a coffee table size book.

SDLeary

Having a more concise introduction to Glorantha - and the RuneQuest rules - might not be a bad thing. The Heroquest Glorantha book is only 260 pages long, although it’s system is not as space consuming as the RuneQuest set. The layout also incorporates more (full colour) art, that is of the same ilk as the Guides to Glorantha. I hope a future RuneQuest game looks as good. 

With regards to editing down, it may just be a case of being more specific to the setting - having a Gloranthan bestiary and examples of play. Less advice for campaign and world creation, and instead more specific detail about Gloranthan cultures. The major issues would be fitting in all five magic systems, should they choose to do so, as well as the changes they will make to them (Gloranthan Sorcery is meant to be a modified freeform system, for example). 

With all these things, however, it is too soon to tell. 

Well, I did say it’s too soon to tell, but if they are limiting the page count to 320pp then it’s hard to see how they wouldn’t be editing it in some manner unless they do something like a coffee table book. Note that HeroQuest Glorantha has a similar interior design to GtG, but it still reverts to a two column layout. 

Edited by TrippyHippy

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I also have written a review of Adventures in Glorantha in my blog. It's in Spanish, but you can hit the Translate button and see what happens...!    ;)

http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/2015/10/resena-de-adventures-in-glorantha.html

Love the Google translation of Stormbull as "Toro Stormy." I think that's going to make it into a NPC quirk somewhere...

• Like 1