house-ruling Two Weapons fighting

Whisker89

Hi everybody!

I've always been annoyed by the fact that characters fighting with two weapons got an extra attack/parry, since every character before reaching 100+% has got ONE action and ONE reaction. So I've tried to get a good compromise and I came up with two diferent house rules. I wish I could have some feedback from you. :)

First option
a character fighting with two weapons is more flexible and can barter her unused Combat Action for an extra Parry whenever she wants, with no penalties; likewise she can barter her unused Reaction to gain a second attack with -25% penalty, at DES -5 Strike Rank.

Second option
a character fighting with two weapons gain a special close combat special attack named Assault: she attacks at -25% to her weapon, and the opponents has a -25% to her reaction; if the attack is successful and the opponent fails to parry or dodge, the attacker hits the opponent with both weapons. Damage bonus applies two times (one for each weapon hitting).

Let me know what you think about it, I can surely use some advice ;)

Edited by Whisker89
Typo spotted and corrected!

Hi everybody!

I've always been annoyed by the fact that characters fighting with two weapons got an extra attack/parry, since every character before reaching 100+% has got ONE action and ONE reaction. So I've tried to get a good compromise and I came up with two diferent house rules. I wish I could have some feedback from you. :)

There are rules for Two Handed weapon fighting in the Special Combat Rules (OQ2 Deluxe p63, OQ2 Basic p73), basically you get a second attack at -25% and at Half DEX in the combat order. Is this what annoys you? Or have you overlooked it?

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I assure you Newt, having translated it all by myself there's no other game that I've read so many times from front to cover as OpenQuest :lol:

What's annoying me is the fact that I see the second attack as a really strong asset. All out Attack and Great Attack are strong combat maneuvers, but they are balanced by the fact that a character loses his reaction when using them. Fighting with two weapons now gives you "all of the power, none of the responsability" (quoting a marvel comics' headline), I feel like the actual penalties are too little considering the bonus the two weapons give.

But obviously this is just my opinion, I guess there's people out there who's perfectly fine with the rules as they already are :)

This has been a problem in other BRP games too. One house rule is to halve both attacks, or apply the same penalty (-25). The other is requiring a second skill for the off hand.

A separate skill for the off hand is my preferred method of dealing with this. I also tend to start things out at half of the normal base skill. 

SDLeary

• Like 2

There are rules for Two Handed weapon fighting in the Special Combat Rules (OQ2 Deluxe p63, OQ2 Basic p73), basically you get a second attack at -25% and at Half DEX in the combat order. Is this what annoys you? Or have you overlooked it?

Or one could simply just rule the second attack as Hard Difficulty (-50%) instead iif the Simple Difficulty (-25%) seems too lenient. Keep the Half SR of course.

Just my two cents

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"