Dragonewts?

g33k

I loved me some RQ back in the day, but didn't get many of the sourcebooks... given the resugence we're seeing, what are the best available sources of info on Dragonewts?

Many thanks for any info/pointers!

C'es ne pas un .sig

The Guide to Glorantha has the most current/complete/canonical information.  HeroQuest:Glorantha provides a good short overview.

This statement from the Guide (p.75) summarizes them best though:  "Dragonewt behavior is extremely perplexing to outsiders. They are unpredictable and often seem irrational. Even the same dragonewt met twice is likely to look and act as two different creatures."

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, g33k said:

@jajagappa - Thanks! Having failed to even SEE the GtG Kickstarter until far too late, I missed out :( ... on 1st printing :unsure: ... but I'm given to understand a new printing is under consideration ... any comments/info @Rick Meints???

Rick has confirmed the reprinting of the GtG for early 2016. See the sticky post on upcoming publications.

In private discussion Sandy Petersen claimed at Kraken that the dragonewts still around since Godtime are the failures and dropouts on their way of draconic ascension, going through endless cycles of rebirth without any meaningful progress. It isn't sure whether there were any dragonewts whose eggs were laid within Time, e.g. during the EWF, or whether the new nests established during the EWF era simply were eggs taken from other nests and arranged to lie in a different place.

I suggested that the dragonewt egg is the real character, and the dragonewt walking about is a dream reality emanating from the egg.

Dragonewts are all about progressing, developing their personality without suffering entanglement in the world. As the egg dreams, the dream body acts out according to that dream as the unborn dragon struggles through experiences with certain emotions.

Stranger discussions continued in a short peaceful moment at Essen Game Fair whether the actions of a dream body and the spiritual progression are connected at all. Take that for weirdness beyond the weird.

• Like 5

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Steve said:

Rick has confirmed the reprinting of the GtG for early 2016...

Thank you!  I think that I had indeed read the post, but didn't recall the detail (my bad).

So,,, about the same time as RQ II/Classic, then,..  <rubs hands in acquisitive glee>

A shame they aren't in time for the holiday gift-giving season, though!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

In private discussion Sandy Petersen claimed at Kraken that the dragonewts still around since Godtime are the failures and dropouts on their way of draconic ascension, going through endless cycles of rebirth without any meaningful progress.

The Dragonkill indicates that, whether failures or dropouts, the remaining dragonewts are still important to dragons, because every one has the potential to ascend to becoming a dragon. The presence of the Inhuman King indicates some still have this capability. Thus Dragon Pass remains important to dragons whilst there are still dragonewts attempting to evolve. This seems unlikely to change until the dragonewts go extinct by evolution or their eggs being destroyed.

Edited by M Helsdon

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

In private discussion Sandy Petersen claimed at Kraken that the dragonewts still around since Godtime are the failures and dropouts on their way of draconic ascension, going through endless cycles of rebirth without any meaningful progress. It isn't sure whether there were any dragonewts whose eggs were laid within Time, e.g. during the EWF, or whether the new nests established during the EWF era simply were eggs taken from other nests and arranged to lie in a different place.

I suggested that the dragonewt egg is the real character, and the dragonewt walking about is a dream reality emanating from the egg.

Dragonewts are all about progressing, developing their personality without suffering entanglement in the world. As the egg dreams, the dream body acts out according to that dream as the unborn dragon struggles through experiences with certain emotions.

Stranger discussions continued in a short peaceful moment at Essen Game Fair whether the actions of a dream body and the spiritual progression are connected at all. Take that for weirdness beyond the weird.

Huh... if so, the stunting of all those newborns carries echoes of the Trollkin curse...   WTF? Who/what did THAT?!?

Maybe they're just progressing much slower (rather than not at all), and/or sometimes experiencing "one step forward, two steps back" incarnations, being reborn into a lesser state due to mistakes made in the prior hatching?  As noted by M Helsdon, True Dragons seem to care (a lot!) about Dragonewts...

OTOH, understanding the motivations of the still-trying-to-overcome-mortal-limitations Dragonewts is tough-to-impossible, so maybe the REAL moftivation behind the Dragonkill event wasn't Dragonewt survival, but something that would seem unrelated or incomprehensible... if anyone could get a genuine answer out of the Dragons...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, g33k said:

Huh... if so, the stunting of all those newborns carries echoes of the Trollkin curse...   WTF? Who/what did THAT?!?

Maybe it's just the dragon reproductive strategy? Could be like that of sea turtles or other creatures that produce lots and lots of offspring but with only a few surviving all the way to adulthood... Going with Sandy's notion that dragonewts are in fact just manifestations of the eggs' dreams, it's the clutches of eggs in Dragon Pass that the True Dragons care about, not individual dragonewts per se.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Second Age Glorantha has a LOT of info on Draconic cults, and by extension the Dragonewt way and Draconic cults.  Also, crested dragonewts are NOT the trollkin of the Dragonewts, a great dragon rose and ATE Gbaji's curse on the Dragonewts.  Crested dragonewts exist at the base of the spiritual tradition of the Dragons, and their souls are going to learn the importance of the lower eschelons of the "Pyramid of Maslow", finding food, hiding from threats etc.  

• Like 1