Rick on RPG Relic Hunter about RQ

MOB

RPG Relic Hunt interviews Rick Meints about RuneQuest - what made it so unique back in the Golden Age, why it is still special now, and what's forthcoming for RQ. This was "by far the most requested Relic Hunt" the interveiwer had been asked for.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

Yeah, not a great deal of attention really paid to the production value here.  Plus, obsess over ducks a little.  Glorantha's albatross, basically.  AD&D had a decent complement of stupid & silly creatures, but man, this one has stuck to Glorantha.

1 hour ago, styopa said:

Yeah, not a great deal of attention really paid to the production value here.  Plus, obsess over ducks a little.  Glorantha's albatross, basically.  AD&D had a decent complement of stupid & silly creatures, but man, this one has stuck to Glorantha.

Agree fully. Plus they turned Tolkien's orcs into pig-people.

I get an error, "This video has been removed by the user."

???

Are they editing/improving it (per the criticisms here)?  Or...?  Maybe Rick knows if the topic will be returning?

C'es ne pas un .sig

The Relic Hunter decided to do some more editing on it to fix various things he got wrong. That was a decision he made on his own.

I have offered to view it after editing to confirm he is more accurate. He was under the impression that the TDM 6th edition was the new Chaosium edition, for example.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

10 hours ago, styopa said:

Munchkin is the success it is because there is just so much silly stuff to parody in AD&D. Ducks seem far more believable than Rust Monsters or Gelatinous Cubes.

14 hours ago, MOB said:

... Ducks seem far more believable than Rust Monsters or Gelatinous Cubes.

Well... sort of.

I mean, a "Gelatinous Cube" is really just an overgrown amoeba; conceptually, it's not any sort of "stretch" (please ignore the small inverse-cube law behind the curtain).  The "Rust Monster" evokes that whole transform-with-a-touch "King Midas" vibe, crossed with the insta-decay schtick (such as when a life-like undead gets killed (again/for good) and turns into ashes-and-dust).  The heavy lifting has been done... they're solidly in line with geeky/fantasy tropes & memes.

So too are anthropomorphic animals a "standard" geeky/fantasy trope.  It's just... well, YOU know.  They're ducks.  DUCKS.  As an animal, they are just kind of... absurd.  As an animal to anthropomorphize, to role-play in the heroic vein?  Entirely (not just "kind of") absurd... particularly when lined up beside minotaurs and foxwomen and the "expected" furry-adventurer tropes.

Yes, my Glorantha DOES have ducks (despite what I wrote above).  But there's more than a little bit of "wtf" around them; the heavy lifting really sits with each GM, if the group isn't already familiar with the world of Glorantha...

But of course the defining D&D "+5 Monster of Absurdity" has to be the Flumph !

C'es ne pas un .sig

I'm old enough to know that the Rust Monster, Bulette, and Owlbear all come from the same "Prehistoric Animals" playset. So I find them far more ridiculous than having Howard the Duck in a game. Heck, Howard at least knew Conan. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Jeff said:

I'm old enough to know that the Rust Monster, Bulette, and Owlbear all come from the same "Prehistoric Animals" playset. So I find them far more ridiculous than having Howard the Duck in a game. Heck, Howard at least knew Conan. 

So this.

When I advertised for a duck only game i was overwhelmed with folk wanting to play. They are the key to the Herowars! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iskallor said:

When I advertised for a duck only game i was overwhelmed with folk wanting to play. They are the key to the Herowars! 

Sounds like there could be demand for an all-duck freeform game...

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis