BRP Space ---> M-SPACE

clarence

After going through the rules closely, and with the help of Lawrence and Pete created a simplified version of the combat rules, I have decided to use Mythras Imperative as the core ruleset for BRP Space. 

Or rather, what used to be BRP Space. 

The new title is M-SPACE. 

M as in Mythras, mythic (no, not the solo RPG engine) and modular. See the newish cover below. 

I think this will be a very good engine for running sci-fi scenarios and campaigns. It's a quick, flexible and creative ruleset, and with the additions brought with the book, I'm very happy with the result. And I am, as always, very grateful for the input I have gotten from all of you here on the forums. Thank you. 

I've already started adding the Mythras Imperative rules to the book, and I believe it will be a quite smooth process. I don't have an ETA yet though. Changing the core will result in a few rewrites throughout the book, and I'm not certain yet how extensive these will be (not breaking any compatibilties with other BRP engines though). 

I will keep you updated on my progress!

M-SPACE Cover Preview.jpg

• Like 18

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Guest Vile Traveller

I hope you're looking at Luther Arkwright, too. It would be great if M-SPACE could be used seamlessly to expand the Arkwright multiverse.

2 hours ago, Guernicus Hamilcar said:

Amazing news and amazing cover !

Thank you : ) Jadrien Cousens is a very talented artist, doing a lot of conceptual and matte drawings for films and games.

You can see more of his work here: http://jadrienc.deviantart.com.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

Mainly space opera (or mythic sci-fi, as I prefer to call it), but with a few tweaks it can do other styles as well. It can emulate most mainstream sci-fi like Traveller, Star Wars, Ringworld and so on, but for harder sci-fi it would need some complementary rules for starship combat. My aim has been to make starship combat as quick and fun as regular BRP/Mythras combat; realistic starship combat is probably more like present day submarines being aided by powerful AIs. 

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller

As a long-time player and referee of Traveller (using RQ2/3 rules) I long ago gave up on the idea of realistic space combat being fun for players. Good for arbitrary TPKs, but not generally fun.

36 minutes ago, Vile said:

As a long-time player and referee of Traveller (using RQ2/3 rules) I long ago gave up on the idea of realistic space combat being fun for players. Good for arbitrary TPKs, but not generally fun.

Yep, realistic / hard sf space combat is about as "funny" as a train crash. :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

15 hours ago, clarence said:

Mainly space opera (or mythic sci-fi, as I prefer to call it), but with a few tweaks it can do other styles as well. It can emulate most mainstream sci-fi like Traveller, Star Wars, Ringworld and so on, but for harder sci-fi it would need some complementary rules for starship combat. My aim has been to make starship combat as quick and fun as regular BRP/Mythras combat; realistic starship combat is probably more like present day submarines being aided by powerful AIs. 

Very nice.  Have you had access too, or taken inspiration from, the dogfighting rules in the short-lived RQ6 Star Wars fan conversation by Pete Nash?

Ok, I have joined the TDM forums! Thanks for the invitation. I will post something about M-SPACE later today. 

Regarding hit locations, there will be both the regular Imperative rules, and a simplified system without hit locations. I've been thinking about having two different (very similar) character sheets; do you want that?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, clarence said:

I've been thinking about having two different (very similar) character sheets; do you want that?

I usually design my own character sheets for each of the settings.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

19 minutes ago, clarence said:

Ok, I have joined the TDM forums! Thanks for the invitation. I will post something about M-SPACE later today. 

Regarding hit locations, there will be both the regular Imperative rules, and a simplified system without hit locations. I've been thinking about having two different (very similar) character sheets; do you want that?

I like that idea. But I am biased and have always loved crunchy combat and most importantly the ability to dismember or decapitate somebody. 

• Like 1

I will make a simplified version too, as I will need it for my own games : )

9 hours ago, Atlatl Jones said:

Very nice.  Have you had access too, or taken inspiration from, the dogfighting rules in the short-lived RQ6 Star Wars fan conversation by Pete Nash?

Hmm, not really. I have the PDF, but I haven't looked at the dogfighting rules. I will do that.

Hey Clarence, you might want to pop on over to the Design Mechanism's site as M-Space is generating some excitement there as well.

http://designmechanism.freeforums.org/index.php

Look under supplements.

Rod

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"