RuneQuest...Where to start?

Ah, threads like this are the reason I stay away from here....and am getting rather soured on the BRP thing, unfortunately. Each time I pop in to the BRP forums I end up slogging through more MRQ bashing, BRP-on-a-holy-pedestal (and I actually think it belongs there, ironically!) and enough Glorantha this and Glorantha that to choke a horse.

Personally, it would be great to see more constructive activities going on in this forum, like new scenarios, builds of creatures, campaign ideas, and what-not. And it would be awesome if the old guard RQers could accept that there's a newer edition that does exist and people like to play it (like myself) who unfortunately do not find fault with the system as it stands, and rather like the idea of physical runes among other things.

Also, The OP was asking about Runquest, but I didn't get the impression that his wanting to play RQ necessitated him getting a crash course on Glorantha. He might have preferred RQ3 or MRQ, both of which support non-Glorantha content (especially MRQ, which does so very well).

Well, I guess I am once again done here until the next time I get one of those messages asking me to come back.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, it would be great to see more constructive activities going on in this forum, like new scenarios, builds of creatures, campaign ideas, and what-not.

What, like you get on the Wiki Shared World, for instance?

When BRP actually comes out and is readily available (very soon) there will be a lot more rules/scenarios/background. You need settings for that and we don't have them as yet.

And it would be awesome if the old guard RQers could accept that there's a newer edition that does exist and people like to play it (like myself) who unfortunately do not find fault with the system as it stands, and rather like the idea of physical runes among other things.

People have preferences. We play RQ3 with some MRQ rules. When I see the BRP rulebook I'll add rules from there as well. I play what works for me.

Also, The OP was asking about Runquest, but I didn't get the impression that his wanting to play RQ necessitated him getting a crash course on Glorantha. He might have preferred RQ3 or MRQ, both of which support non-Glorantha content (especially MRQ, which does so very well).

He asked for people's opinions and that's what he got.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Most grognards can't separate RQ and Glorantha. While I played the latter for some years, I played the former for quite longer.

I also agree that this forum is pretty rude to other systems or variants of its own system. Pointlessly so. I say this only because there are very vocal anti-system types here, and their poor behavior is only less than encouraged.

I wish someone had told the OP to buy BRP and use these optional rules (SR, Fatigue, Hit Locations, etc), then offered an outline of how RQ magic differs from BRP.

Pointing new players to rare OP books is just silly, unless your assumption is that the OP wanted 3rd Age Glorantha, and not just Runequest 3. I'm admittedly silly as well, for assuming he was looking for the Avalon Hill Boxed Set.

ymmv

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Most grognards can't separate RQ and Glorantha. While I played the latter for some years, I played the former for quite longer.

This was incredibly obvious when what became the RQ:AIG project was underway; the Gloranthaphiles ended up in a constant war with the smaller number of people who were interested in RQ as a system and couldn't care less about Glorantha (a war the latter lost pretty conclusively, to no one's real surprise).

I've often thought its association with Glorantha acted to cloak the real system benefits of RQ as a system, and in some ways marginalized it.

I wish someone had told the OP to buy BRP and use these optional rules (SR, Fatigue, Hit Locations, etc), then offered an outline of how RQ magic differs from BRP.

Actually I did, but it must have got lost between one flamewar with Frogspawner and another. But I think he can understand this without our help.

Pointing new players to rare OP books is just silly

Someone does agree with me, then :)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Someone does agree with me, then :)

Specifically because it creates a glass ceiling for new fans, encourages an insurmountable ideal of completism [as in collection, and completism as in setting knowledge], and does little but increase the value of fanboy's ebay nest eggs.

A new fan of RQ (the rules), needs BRP, suggestions on which optional rules to use, and an explanation of Spirit, Divine, and Sorcery Magic. Result: Complete compatibility at minimum expense.

A new fan of Glorantha 3rd Age, needs a New Moon reprint, and maybe this Glorantha: The Lhankor Mhy Research Library. Result: A well fleshed out, introductory setting, with a manageable amount of world information to dig deeper if you're still interested in adhering to canon. (Don't get me started on Glorantha canon)

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

A new fan of RQ (the rules), needs BRP, suggestions on which optional rules to use, and an explanation of Spirit, Divine, and Sorcery Magic. Result: Complete compatibility at minimum expense.

First spell compatibility list is almost ready. I hope I'll make it publicly available on this weekend.

Specifically because it creates a glass ceiling for new fans, encourages an insurmountable ideal of completism [as in collection, and completism as in setting knowledge], and does little but increase the value of fanboy's ebay nest eggs.

A new fan of Glorantha 3rd Age, needs a New Moon reprint, and maybe this Glorantha: The Lhankor Mhy Research Library. Result: A well fleshed out, introductory setting, with a manageable amount of world information to dig deeper if you're still interested in adhering to canon. (Don't get me started on Glorantha canon)

I partially agree.

I think it's best, as you've done here, to suggest what currently in-print resources a new player can use.

But there's hardly anything wrong with recommending OP stuff, too, if you honestly believe it's superior - with the caveat that it's OP and will require searching and possibly paying higher prices.

So I would say recommending OP stuff exclusively is - not silly, but not all that helpful.

But there's hardly anything wrong with recommending OP stuff, too, if you honestly believe it's superior - with the caveat that it's OP and will require searching and possibly paying higher prices.

I recommend RQ2 because it is the best place to start (though by all means progress to BRP later).

I just searched ebay for "runequest" and found this: RuneQuest RPG Book (RQ2). £2.99, 2 days to go - no bids! (OK, it's UK, but can it be much rarer in the US?) They usually go for a tenner or less. Easy to find, cheaper than new product... isn't that helpful enough?

PS: Seller will post worldwide - go for it!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I must agree with frogspawner here. My group has been playing RQ2 for 8 years or so. Only the GM is an 'original' player of RQ2 from back when it was in print. Myself and all the other players bought our RQ2 book on eBay. And that was still cheaper than buying a new fantasy rolegame (how much does D&D 3E cost???)

Once you've bought the RQ2 book, you can buy the Moon Design reprints. And you have years of gaming. Frankly, this is all you need for quality gaming. And not too expensive.

I must agree with frogspawner here. My group has been playing RQ2 for 8 years or so. Only the GM is an 'original' player of RQ2 from back when it was in print. Myself and all the other players bought our RQ2 book on eBay. And that was still cheaper than buying a new fantasy rolegame (how much does D&D 3E cost???)

Once you've bought the RQ2 book, you can buy the Moon Design reprints. And you have years of gaming. Frankly, this is all you need for quality gaming. And not too expensive.

It is not a matter of how expensive or hard it is to find a copy. Just imagine a world in which all gamers interested in d20 go to the shop and buy that shiny new cra --- er, games, and all gamers interested in d100 go to ebay and compete for the last few existing copies of RQ1/2/3 (which would raise the price well above the two pounds per copy located by Frogspawner).

In ecological terms, which of the two species is more likely to survive and thrive?

I recommend RQ2 because it is the best place to start (though by all means progress to BRP later).

I just searched ebay for "runequest" and found this: RuneQuest RPG Book (RQ2). £2.99, 2 days to go - no bids! (OK, it's UK, but can it be much rarer in the US?) They usually go for a tenner or less. Easy to find, cheaper than new product... isn't that helpful enough?

PS: Seller will post worldwide - go for it!

much rarer, yes. To this day, I am surprised by GDW editions of RQ. When I was a completist [yes, I mean both kinds], I would happily have bid to my hearts content, even though I already own Chaosium's RQ2. I have a sizable RQ collection, and while I will agree that some of it is superior to the current MRQ/BRP offerings, I am partially speaking from a nostalgic POV. It's hard for BRP to compare to RQ3, because I've been using it for a long, long time. That said, I'm not going to talk about my ex on my first date. Get it?

BRP is superior in a number of ways. It is the Heinz 57 of d100 gaming. Want strike ranks? It's in there. Want Major Wounds? It's in there. Want Psionics? It's in there. BRP offers an incredible amount of core and modular material for your gaming dollar. 3rd Edition D&D, and now 4th, sold for three times what BRP cost and you still don't get Psionics until you buy another book!

Sure BRP is missing RQ3's more complex Spirit/Divine/Sorcery system. It doesn't have the comparative mythology chapter, or the introductory Glorantha chapter, or the larger RQ3 bestiary, but it doesn't need that. BRP is more than RQ could be, precisely because it isn't trying to be a Glorantha RPG. This is a two edged sword. Lacking a setting, BRP can't have those details that RQ3 had. On the other hand, BRP provides a huge range of gaming possibilities.

Now take the OP into mind. He's coming from a CoC background. Assuming he has the core book, that means he could have run a game in three different time periods, ranging from turn of the century to modern. BRP offers him the opportunity to play in all the time periods, including the ones that don't exist: fantasy, supers, scifi. RQ1/2/3 supports fantasy only. On top of that, all the genres are mechanically consistent in BRP, so if he wants to mix them, or play a time travel game, or even a Million Spheres game, he can do that with little effort.

So even though I love my RQ2/3, I still say BRP is the place to be.

Would you like another glass of wine, baby? ;)

It is not a matter of how expensive or hard it is to find a copy. Just imagine a world in which all gamers interested in d20 go to the shop and buy that shiny new cra --- er, games, and all gamers interested in d100 go to ebay and compete for the last few existing copies of RQ1/2/3 (which would raise the price well above the two pounds per copy located by Frogspawner).

In ecological terms, which of the two species is more likely to survive and thrive?

Not to play devil's advocate (even though I am), but is the alternative, then, that no one should ever endorse an OP game or supplement? Even if, in their honest opinion, it is superior to currently available product - or if there is no currently available equivalent product?

If all BRP COC stuff were out of print, and only the d20 stuff were in print, I guess I'd have to keep silent.

Not to play devil's advocate (even though I am),

Does he pay you well? I suppose the salary is in POW points rather than money. With all that souls he gets... >:->

but is the alternative, then, that no one should ever endorse an OP game or supplement? Even if, in their honest opinion, it is superior to currently available product - or if there is no currently available equivalent product?

The point here was about what to advise to new players who wished to try a game they had never tried before. Pointing out in what a previous edition was superior does no damage.

If all BRP COC stuff were out of print, and only the d20 stuff were in print, I guess I'd have to keep silent.

I was talking about games, not senseless waste of vegetable life.

As stated before, I am definitely against advising to get out-of-print materials. RQ2 is almost 30 year old, and even though its "atmosphere" was great, it contains game concepts that are terribly outdated. If you start with RQ2, you will have conversion problems with everything if you later want to move your game to BRP.

A good alternative for the Third Age if you do not want to read all the HeroWars / HeroQuest stuff would be picking River of Cradles instead, for instance, which is also set in Pavis but after the setting had been explored for 20 years or so. It is still an out of print book, but it contains all of the starting religious info to play an Orlanthi,too, (and you do not want to play any stinking Lunar, do you?) and all the stats given are 100% compatible with BRP 1. You will need some spell descriptions, but if you are a bit patient I am finishing my list of basic RQ spells adapted to BRP, so you will be able to play all the old Gloranthan supplements with the BRP rules and just the MRQ SRD, which is free, for magic.

Good advice! I hate sending new gamers out to search for OOP editions, particularly given that there are other choices (including BRP and forum volunteers willing to share their lore). :thumb:

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

It doesn't have the comparative mythology chapter,

Sorry for the renewed threadjack, but what particular chapter are you referring to? Where was that in?

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

- The Fellowship of the Ring

Sorry for the renewed threadjack, but what particular chapter are you referring to? Where was that in?

I was refering to the Magic Book and Divine Magic, which had templates for deities: Sun God(ess), Earth God(ess), etc, and typical groupings of Benign, Neutral, and Malign pantheons of deities.

I was refering to the Magic Book and Divine Magic, which had templates for deities: Sun God(ess), Earth God(ess), etc, and typical groupings of Benign, Neutral, and Malign pantheons of deities.

Oh, that one.

Well, I guess the term "comparative mythology" made it sound like there was more to it. :o

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

Again, Chaosium has copies of Stormbringer 5 available. It makes for a solid

slimmed down set of BRP rules geared towards fantasy.

Download the Mongoose RuneQuest SRD to get stats for typical fantasy

creatures/races. Again, the conversion should be fairly straightforward.

The MRQ magic spells are also in it and can be ported quite easily.

Or wait for a BRP fantasy setting to come out.

I queried the OP (Hound of Tindalos) earlier in the thread regarding whether

or not RQ is appealing as a generic fantasy setting, or for Glorantha. He

responded that he is more interested in the former. So, there is no need to

hunt down old copies of RQ (though, itlooks like I will be regaining the 3rd

edition boxed set soon - I sent my old copy to a chap overseas gratis, and

have been kicking myself for doing so. Not that I don't mind giving it to him

since I am sure it saw use, but that I gave my sole copy up).

-V

Oh, that one.

Well, I guess the term "comparative mythology" made it sound like there was more to it. :o

It was a surprisingly dense amount of information packed into 3 pages. Like cliff notes for a 100 level class.

Again, Chaosium has copies of Stormbringer 5 available. It makes for a solid slimmed down set of BRP rules geared towards fantasy.

Seconded.

I was wishing for years Chaosium would re-publish the Stormbringer ruleset as a generic sword&sorcery game. My own homebrew RuneQuest is closely based on Stormbringer; that's how similar they are. (Of course, the new BRP book is even better. :D)

Download the Mongoose RuneQuest SRD to get stats for typical fantasy creatures/races. Again, the conversion should be fairly straightforward. The MRQ magic spells are also in it and can be ported quite easily.

Agreed.

(BTW, IMHO Mongoose's RuneQuest isn't really bad, it's just not as good as the original.)

BRP Zero Ed #136/420