Stafford on Ebay

dracopticon

Hrm...

How to start this, this, well... truly remarkable (!) find I did the other day on Ebay. Apparently Greg Stafford, you know, THE Greg Stafford of original Glorantha and the Grand Old Heydays of Chaosium and all that, have started to sell off (or even managed to sell off everything already) from his own private collection... on EBAY!!!

I thought I'd fallen asleep drooling in front of my PC and was dreaming nice unrealistic dreams... but no!

Anyway, I got a couple of bids in on what Stafford called "RUNEQUEST, 1st ed_, Chaosium House Copy! AUTOGRAPHED" and even managed to win it! On the front it says "Display Copy", but I don't mind!

I'm trying to include a few pictures of the grand price -I HAD to brag- :

post-141-140468074171_thumb.jpg

post-141-140468074175_thumb.jpg

post-141-140468074179_thumb.jpg

post-141-140468074184_thumb.jpg

post-141-140468074187_thumb.jpg

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

Thanks for those screenshots! I'd always been curious to see what a copy of 1st edition RQ looked like - that's a very cool bit of history! :D

It's interesting to see the character sheet especially - amazing that those BRP standards are there in embryonic form. I'm surprised how different the whole thing looks from RQ2 - I'd always got the impression that RQ2 was basically the same as RQ1, but with errata. From the character sheet they do look like quite different beasts.

Cheers!

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I'm surprised how different the whole thing looks from RQ2 - I'd always got the impression that RQ2 was basically the same as RQ1, but with errata. From the character sheet they do look like quite different beasts.

Uh, how so? It doesn't look that different from the one in my copy of 2nd ed. Just more compact. The latter has the skills listed together with space for modifiers, and the body outline has the hit location numbers on it, but otherwise not very different.

Uh, how so? It doesn't look that different from the one in my copy of 2nd ed. Just more compact.

OK, perhaps I'm exaggerating... :D

It certainly isn't AD&D2 > D&D3 different, that's for sure!

I think the things which struck me most were:

• SR3 for a poleaxe.
  • CON 14 + SIZ 13 giving you 15 HP.
  • Strike Rank for spells - Healing 1 goes on SR1
  • No entry for "Battle Magic" and "Rune Magic" - just "Spells"
  • Small number of "Abilities" (Skills) focussed on in Character Sheet (looks like skills are less emphasised).
  • No section for Cult or Race.

I haven't checked any of the stat items above against RQ2, to be honest, and it's a while since I've played it. But it's cool to see an embryonic character sheet where a wide variety of skills, cult membership, divine ("rune") spells, etc, are not explicitly mentioned. I wonder how RQ1 played as a game - this being before CoP, etc. We're cults part of the game from day 1?

Obviously though it's only a character sheet and you can't really conclude anything about the game behind it - which I'd love one day to get a peek at!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I gots me one of them first edition books, but of course, mine doesn't have an autograph!

Me too. Although I've never really read it. It looks all typewriter written like other games from that era, such as Champions. I got it long after I stopped playing RQ when Ebay first came out. I think I paid $10 for it. Unlike my unpunched copies of White Bear/Red Moon and Nomad Gods which cost me plenty.

Now if we only could go toan alternative world and get a copy of Masters of Luck and Death.

Speak nicely to Stephen Martin and you might get to see what there is of it in this world. Last year I was intending to work on an electric version but sadly haven't found the time.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Me too. Although I've never really read it. It looks all typewriter written like other games from that era, such as Champions. I got it long after I stopped playing RQ when Ebay first came out. I think I paid $10 for it. Unlike my unpunched copies of White Bear/Red Moon and Nomad Gods which cost me plenty.

I forgot that it looked like that. Mine's put away in the dark and I don't ever touch it anymore and by the way, I bought it when it first came out!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

And the original map of Glorantha, with continents where there should be archipelagos, and the Land of the Altinae marked on it! A real piece of history. Lucky man. I am no collector, but if I were I would love this.

I think the same map is also in the Wyrms Footprints.