Jump to content

Glorantha Discord


Shub-Nullgurath

Recommended Posts

It looks like you need to have an account to be able to see anything. Personally I prefer sites that let you look without a login. My other preference is not to spread the community too thin. We already have established G+, Facebook and BRP communities, previously there have been attempts to spread to tumblr and a few other social media systems. They always (in my opinion), seem to stagnate very quickly. If you have a use for other systems that is of course fine, I for example have a Pinterest page I use for clipping stuff I think is useful, but to really see it you need an account, so not a generally useful system for everyone. If you want input from MD / Chaosium or writers who are involved with them I'd stick with the three mentioned, otherwise it's personal preference.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Iskallor said:

I use Google +. I personally don't see the point of having more places to post.

 

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

It looks like you need to have an account to be able to see anything. Personally I prefer sites that let you look without a login. My other preference is not to spread the community too thin. We already have established G+, Facebook and BRP communities, previously there have been attempts to spread to tumblr and a few other social media systems. They always (in my opinion), seem to stagnate very quickly. If you have a use for other systems that is of course fine, I for example have a Pinterest page I use for clipping stuff I think is useful, but to really see it you need an account, so not a generally useful system for everyone. If you want input from MD / Chaosium or writers who are involved with them I'd stick with the three mentioned, otherwise it's personal preference.

Basically what Roko said. Instead of having to make a forum post about an obscure little lore thing, you can post on there and hopefully get a response. IMO, it's a lot faster than standard forum and Google+ posting and I'm usually on there for other chats anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Shub-Nullgurath said:

Basically what Roko said. Instead of having to make a forum post about an obscure little lore thing, you can post on there and hopefully get a response. IMO, it's a lot faster than standard forum and Google+ posting and I'm usually on there for other chats anyway.

Um.  It's only going to be "faster" if it has a large-ish contingent of folk who are regulars; particularly for "obscure little lore things" they must be pretty deep Gloranthaphiles.  Personally, I have multiple devices that I might prefer to connect with; I certainly don't want to lurk on a chat-server on all of those!  :mellow:

Chat is wonderful for what it is; but it ISN'T a good replacement for a "forum" type site. As a non-public site (needs login to access) it's IMHO inherently less-attractive as a community resource.  At least once per week on average (usually more often) I hit BRPCentral un-logged-in (via shared/public computer) just to review recent posts.  The ability to be web-indexed & retention of past topics is INVALUABLE, for cognoscenti delving into obscure elements, for n00b's who are just meeting Glorantha/RQ/HQ/wtfDucks/whatever for the first time, and for author/publishers reaching out to fans.

Chat is inherently transient; when that's desirable, then a "Forum" site is in turn less-desirable, possibly even inadequate to the need.  As noted, "chat" doesn't really overlap with other/current resources; it may well prove to be a wonderful addition!  But I don't think it's a viable "replacement" or "instead of" site for any of the existing resources.

 

That all said, Discord claims to be gamer-centric:  color me interested!  My 2 oldest kids are off at (different) colleges; we have run *ONE* gaming-session remotely, and were not entirely satisfied.  How is Discord different/better from e.g. FantasyGrounds, Roll20, etc?  And from a roll-your-own such as a Google-centric solution (vid/voice chat, shared GoogleDocs, online dice-roller, etc)?   :unsure:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, g33k said:

It's only going to be "faster" if it has a large-ish contingent of folk who are regulars; particularly for "obscure little lore things" they must be pretty deep Gloranthaphiles. 

Two sites for posting and responding to those "obscure little lore things" is more than enough for me, particularly where I'm also running PbP games on RPGGeek which I need to keep track of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2016 at 7:09 AM, Shub-Nullgurath said:

Link

To those of you who don't know what Discord is, it's basically everything that made IRC, Skype and TeamSpeak good rolled into one package. It's what all them hip cool kids are using nowadays instead of other chats.

I've set one up for Glorantha for smaller lore questions and the like.

Sounds a bit too modern for me, but thanks for setting it up. The more avenues into Glorantha the better.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...