Getting back into Glorantha

mikkling

Hi,

I've got my old RQ group interested in returning to Glorantha what with the new version of RQ. I was fairly active in the Glorantha community in the 90's and early 00's but i've been out of the loop since then. Is this forum the central place nowadays for Glorantha discussions? Is the Glorantha Digest still running? What's been going on in the community for the past 15 years?

Best,

Mikael

• Like 2

This is the right place. There are other places but this is the central one. Google+ has a nice forum for Glorantha as well. 

There probably cannot be a better time to come back.... So many choices - many versions of RQ that you can run and a new one coming up, Glorantha specific version of Heroquest as well. Old material coming back to print and pdf, non game system specific Glorantha stuff thriving. Cornucopia of riches - it can be a bit like drinking from a firehose...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hkokko said:

This is the right place. [...] There probably cannot be a better time to come back.

Thanks, Hannu! 

I agree, there seems to be a lot of stuff available right now. I think my group will have problems deciding where to start...  

Best,

Mikael

Just so you know....

There is "RQ Classic," recently returned to print (via successful $200K Kickstarter) from the edition that really started it all.  It is 98.8941799251638%   "just reprint," but it includes both the known errata from back then (which afaik have never been rolled-in to any prior printing) and a few more that have been caught since; it also includes some commentary and clarifications, reprinted from columns & 'zines of the time.  Worth getting (although it shows its age).  Spring for the "deluxe" leatherette version.

There is "Mythras" (recently re-named from "RQ6"), which many folks like better than the more-spare and simple rules of RQClassic; it's probably the "crunchiest" version of BRP/d100 going; their free-in-PDF sampler rules are titled "Mythras Imperative".  There is no in-print support for Glorantha within Mythras (although the default "vibe" has that cusp-of-bronze-and-iron-ages feel, like original RQ) but a LOT of online fan support to be had; and of course it's pretty easy to translate most d100 content between the various family-members... we're all "kissing cousins" as it were.  Also worth getting (even if you don't use it for Glorantha) !

There is also "Heroquest" as noted above.  It's completely non-BRP / non-d100 -- much more narrative, less "crunchy" -- and generally held to be a higher-powered game:  suited to characters who are actually heroquesting & runequesting into the Spirit World & even GodTime as the game begins.  MUCH more work translating to/from the BRP mechanics, but there is a reasonable amount of native HQ:Glorantha content to be had.

There are ABOUT TO BE another TWO entries -- 1st to land, most likely, will be 13th Age in Glorantha (13th Age, if it's new to you, is one of the more-variant of the d20 variants).  They too had a huge (over $100K) Kickstarter, and will be producing the system-agnostic "Glorantha Sourcebook" in addition to the core rulebook.  Then there will be Chaosium's "new" or "next" edition of Runequest, which you already know of; it is based upon the RQClassic core ruleset (largely because of the huge outpouring of support for that Kickstarter).  I think the Chaosium Blogs (Google: "designing the new runequest" site:www.chaosium.com/blog ) cover the overwhelming majority of what is publicly-known, but there are a few reports on gamers' blogs who got to play at 'Con games, shedding some additional insights ...

Finally, there are the plethora of other d100/BRP games which can be approximated (if oversimplified) as "all variants of the RQ2 ruleset" and therefore also amenable to quick conversions of d100/BRP Glorantha content.  Some are even simpler in mechanic than RQClassic.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

<points at the "Guide">

Thanks,

I kickstarted it, so i have it already. While i haven't been in the loop, i haven't been entirely estranged. I also kickstarted Rob's 13th Age in Glorantha and Sandy's Gods War. I did miss the RQ2 kickstarter (and all the unpublished stuff...), though. 

EDIT: Thanks for the list, @g33k

I think i got a grasp on developments on the system side. But i'm kind of in the dark about what's happened to the Glorantha community. Are all the old grognards still active? Any drama or schisms that i should know about?

Best,

Mikael

Edited by mikkling

Schisms Are Us :-) There are quite a few grognards around still. There is now a list of canon material led by the Guide to Glorantha. Luckily nothing prevents you from running and munging Glorantha the way you want - I have always done it that way - YGWV.  So if you like some material - just use it :-) There is so much now available that trying to absorb it all will be a full time job. So I pick an area and dive in and trying to have a fun game/campaign with just bits and pieces here and there. For example for Fonrit (which is close to where we play nowadays) there is significantly more material than there ever was but still it is sparse enough to have a multi year campaign where you have to invent your own stuff.  

Couole of years back one of the true old timers Tom wrote a very nice guest post on my blog https://notesfrompavis.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/guest-post-back-under-the-glowline/ 

Edited by hkokko
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mikkling said:

I think i got a grasp on developments on the system side. But i'm kind of in the dark about what's happened to the Glorantha community. Are all the old grognards still active? Any drama or schisms that i should know about?

There has been less 'drama' than their perhaps was on fora like the Glorantha Digest back in the day. I think that the emergence of the the Guide has certainly helped, because whereas before there was a lot of 'fan theories' that people were protective of, there is now a pretty authoritative source. Beyond that the growth of YGWV (your Glorantha will vary) along with HW/HQ helped persuade people that canon was really only for writers, not players, and so folks didn't need to argue so hard about what constituted it.

The main thing the community will have to learn to stay away from is: which system is best. Glorantha will host three 'official' systems: 13th Age, RQ, and HQ:G and it would be a shame if we became mired in arguments over which was the 'true' presentation of Glorantha or treated one or the other as especially privileged.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

The main thing the community will have to learn to stay away from is: which system is best. Glorantha will host three 'official' systems: 13th Age, RQ, and HQ:G

Given the radically different styles, I think there is low probability of this.  What's nice is that all three systems can produce settings and scenarios that continue to expand the range of playable material for Glorantha. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Given the radically different styles, I think there is low probability of this.  What's nice is that all three systems can produce settings and scenarios that continue to expand the range of playable material for Glorantha. 

Just the old "Which is the better edition of RQ?"

• Like 2

On 1/6/2017 at 9:57 AM, mikkling said:

But i'm kind of in the dark about what's happened to the Glorantha community. Are all the old grognards still active? Any drama or schisms that i should know about?

The most recent "drama" was probably the RQ-license returning to Chaosium, and the resulting changes in DesignMechanism's product-planning and players' plans & expectations.  Lots of upset and consternation... but mostly civil, for all that.  There was to be a RQ6 "Glorantha" supplement, I believe... much-anticipated, and likely a distinct loss to the community.  :unsure:

As noted, BRPCentral is probably the biggest and most-active location for the community, but G+ has quite a bit, too!  Also, "Glorantha.com" is (as I understand it) primarily an "archive" site these days:  the former community/forum content there is now here on BRPCentral, and the publishers' webstore, active press-releases, etc, have moved to Chaosium.com.  If anyone with some "official standing" has made any formal statement of this, I haven't seen it; that's just my impression of how things have turned out.

The biggest "problem" with the RQ/HQ/13G split isn't IMHO any adversarial "schism" but the "GOOD problem" of having quality Glorantha material within each of the separate communities.  It was just more-convenient when the Glorantha content that was intertwined with game-system content was all in the same place...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

The biggest "problem" with the RQ/HQ/13G split isn't IMHO any adversarial "schism" but the "GOOD problem" of having quality Glorantha material within each of the separate communities.  It was just more-convenient when the Glorantha content that was intertwined with game-system content was all in the same place...

If my impression is right, that there is a clear tendency to publish material related to Glorantha in format, that provides information more or less system-free or at least useful for all three systems (like the Guide to Glorantha, the HeroQuest (Glorantha) source books for Sartar, Pavis and the Red Cow as well as the upcoming Glorantha Sourcebook for 13th Age Glorantha), then I do not expect this to become a real problem ...

• Like 2

On 1/7/2017 at 4:57 AM, mikkling said:

I kickstarted it, so i have it already. While i haven't been in the loop, i haven't been entirely estranged. 

The new printing of The Guide comes in a slipcase, but we have empty slipcases available if you'd like one for your original version: http://www.chaosium.com/slipcase-for-the-guide-to-glorantha/

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 5.13.43 pm.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oracle said:

If my impression is right, that there is a clear tendency to publish material related to Glorantha in format, that provides information more or less system-free or at least useful for all three systems (like the Guide to Glorantha, the HeroQuest (Glorantha) source books for Sartar, Pavis and the Red Cow as well as the upcoming Glorantha Sourcebook for 13th Age Glorantha), then I do not expect this to become a real problem ...

Well, there's the explicitly mechanic-free material, such as GtG (and, if I understand correctly, 13G "Glorantha Sourcebook" will be).  Then there are those with varying amounts of mechanical content; some of those have a LARGE amount of game-crunch (such as, I expect, Chaosium's upcoming "RQNext").

But what I was addressing for the OP is the question of "Community" -- where do folks e-gather and talk about Glorantha?

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 1/9/2017 at 0:33 AM, MOB said:

The new printing of The Guide comes in a slipcase, but we have empty slipcases available if you'd like one for your original version: http://www.chaosium.com/slipcase-for-the-guide-to-glorantha/

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 5.13.43 pm.png

Are these available as PDFs, for those who originally backed the KickStarter as Shamans?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 hours ago, simonh said:

I think you only get a PDF slipcase if you ordered a PDF D20.

Simon Hibbs

I'd probably get a HeroQuest PDF Slip case as well.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here