So I bought RQ2

Y Mab Darogan

Considering what Jeff and others have said about compatibility, picking up griffin mountain or snakepipe hollow or the like probably wouldn't hurt, and you could play them while we're waiting for christmas season to roll around. 

• Like 4

Definately get Cult Compedium (Cults of Prax + Cults of Terror), Pavis & Big Rubble, Griffin Mountain, and Borderlands & Beyond.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

In theory, the Glortanthan Classics are just reprints of the original RQ2 material, so waiting for the RQ2 Classic material to come out makes more sense.

However, in practice, the Gloranthan Classics contain a lot more informaiton, gleaned from some out of print RQ2 material and some RQ3 material, so contains more than the equivalent RQ2 supplements.

So, if you have the money, I'd get both, if only as PDFs.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The Gloranthan Classics are awesome books. I don't know how easy it would be to find them in print anymore, though. After I got them, I sold most of what I had of the RQ2/3 material they overlapped with.

Trollpak is probably my favorite rpg book for any game ever published.

The Guide to Glorantha is really nice as well, and in fact in a lot of ways serves most of the purpose of all the other printed materials if you're more into flavor and background than rules mechanics.

Honorable mention goes to the Reaching Moon magazines...but they're next to impossible to find in print or legal pdf.

Edited by tedopon
  • Like 1

121/420

17 hours ago, tedopon said:

The Gloranthan Classics are awesome books. I don't know how easy it would be to find them in print anymore, though.

Gloranthan Classics are available here: http://www.chaosium.com/glorantha-classics/

• Borderlands and Beyond available in PDF and Print (ships from USA, UK and Australia)
  • Cult Compendium is available in PDF and Print (ships from USA) 
  • Pavis & Big Rubble and Griffin Mountain are only available in PDF

Honorable mention goes to the Reaching Moon magazines...but they're next to impossible to find in print or legal pdf.

Chaosium also has copies of TotRM #20 (the last issue) available in print: http://www.chaosium.com/tales-20/ (ships from USA)

Unfortunately, the other 19 issues are long, long out of print.

• Like 1

The Guide to Glorantha is really nice as well, and in fact in a lot of ways serves most of the purpose of all the other printed materials if you're more into flavor and background than rules mechanics.

And course The Guide has been reprinted, and is also available from Chaosium.com: http://www.chaosium.com/the-guide-to-glorantha-slipcase-set/ (ships from USA, UK and Australia, includes PDF).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 6:39 AM, Bud said:

Hoping for an update and expansion of Griffin Mountain / Island, I've used some version of that in several campaigns and several game systems over the years. 

A blatant plug but if you wade past the WOD:Glorantha stuff there is loads of  Griffin Mountain/Balazar stuff in here

www.backtobalazar.com

Edited by Jon Hunter
  • Like 2

Although I prefer the RuneQuest mechanics, the Storyteller system is also a great fit, a bit more handwavey but it feels more like the Glorantha portrayed by HeroQuest 1.

I don't find HeroQuest great for a fantasy setting (although it's perfect for a modern day pulpy action/adventure setting), but I'ld happily play Glorantha with the WoD Storyteller system.

I have always liked the original Griffin Mountain setting. I felt that the Theyalans/Orlanthi were very Thracian-influenced in their portrayal, living in small Mycenaean-style citadels (actually the floor plan for one of those citadels was completely ripped off from a real-world historical Mycenaean citadel).

The interplay between the three citadels is quite interesting, especially with the Lunar presence in one of the citadels. The nomadic Balazoring tribes aligning themselves to different citadels is also a good idea. 

Having a self-contained region like this at the edge of The Elder Wilds makes it a great sandbox setting, heaps of adventuring opportunities due to the dangers inherent in the wilderness.  

If playing it at the time set in RQ2 it is a perfect setting for GMs doing their own thing without worrying about the meta-setting in the lands beyond. However as RQG will be set a decade later then The Hero Wars will eventually impact even here, although again I would envision it will be up to the GM how this would roll out.

Lots of freedom to create your own stories here. Highly recommended for the OP to take a look at the Griffin Mountain PDF/book 

BTW yes there is some great content on the website posted above regarding Balazar & The Elder Wilds; this will keep me reading for some time, thanks for posting!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 5/14/2017 at 1:42 AM, Mankcam said:

Although I prefer the RuneQuest mechanics, the Storyteller system is also a great fit, a bit more handwavey but it feels more like the Glorantha portrayed by HeroQuest.

I don't find HeroQuest great for a fantasy setting (although it's perfect for a modern day pulpy action/adventure setting), but I'ld happily play Glorantha with the WoD Storyteller system

The storyteller system is great if you want a narrative game with more definition and structure than HQ gives. If you want a combat orientated game its too clunky.

They way we use runes to boost battle magic and power rune magic works, and feel incredibly Gloranthan to me, I don't think I will be going back to RQ soon, (just pilfering it for good ideas)

BTW yes there is some great content on the website posted above regarding Balazar & The Elder Wilds; this will keep me reading for some time, thanks for posting!

Thanks for the nice comments

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 5:39 AM, Jon Hunter said:

A blatant plug but if you wade past the WOD:Glorantha stuff there is loads of  Griffin Mountain/Balazar stuff in here

www.backtobalazar.com

Thank you Jon!  What an excellent bunch of work, and lots of it!  The Troll encounters are super I just finished reading those.  Good stuff!

• Like 2