A good map of Sog city?

kiryamo

Hello everybody. I have only found two maps of Sog city, one of them very confusing and the other good, but small. I atach both of them. Anybody have better or/and GREATER maps?

Preparing a long-term campaing for the next edition...

ย 

Sorry for my poor english (very much better understanding than writing)

sog plano detalle.jpg

MAPA DE SOG.jpg

Edited by kiryamo

Neither of the maps shows the island nature of Sog City, which is imperative for its continued existence, but which may be on the cut-off part of the map.

The entire estuary will be subject to the tides, so the water separating the island from the mainland needn't be navigable at all times.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

ย 

The text box on p.216 makes it clear that there is a magical need for Sog City or at least the Brass Citadel to be surrounded by water. If it falls dry, the volcano god beneath might shake off his fetters:

The walls became red-hot from the presence of the god, and they still glow today. The city was dubbed Sogolotha Mambrola, or just Sog City. As centuries passed, the Air Gods gradually drove back the flood from the lands. The Janube began to dry up and retreated into itself, reduced to a part of a puddle that lay far inland. This puddle was the Sweet Sea, which drained naturally by the Poralistor River into the Keniryan Sea.ย 

The Wizards of Sog City were most distressed at the drying up of the Janube Sea for their spells specified that the Fire god would remain imprisoned on an island. The complete disappearance of the sea meant that Sog City would soon no longer be on an isle, and thus the captured god would be freed. To stop this, the Wizards of Sog City began a massive spell. From the Sweet Sea, they used their sorcery and woke the Janube. The wizards guided its path as it flowed down the length of Fronela. Here, they warded off attacks by the storm gods who sought to destroy this new enemy, and there, they drowned a few camps of the enemies of the sorcerers.

The River finally reached the coast of Fronela and the sorcerers made it flow around Sog City, so that it would continue to be an island.

So there should be an arm of the river going by the city, or at least by the citadel, or else we are going to see a new mountain. There would be no point in having called down the Janube all the way from the Sweet Sea defying normal hydrology if it didn't keep Sog separate from the mainland.

The hex map doesn't have enough detail to provide that information. The city maps you provided probably were drawn without knowledge about this, which is why I mentioned the lack of the river arm.

Edited by Joerg

ย 

From page 215:

The innermost city (called the City of Brass) is an islet surrounded by a red-hot brass wall and connected to the rest of Sog City by a stone bridge.

ย 

So, another interpretation of the text you have posted is that the City of Brass, and only it, is the island surrounded by the Janube. It's logical, as the fire god is linked to the walls of the citadel. Also, it makes sense to the presence of a bridge.ย The rest of the city could have been built on that level, covering it and rising levels over the centuries, turning the river arm into underground, visible onlyย from the cliff of the citadel.

More from p. 215:

The City of Brass: The Brithini reside in the oldest and innermost citadel of Sog City on the banks of the Janube River, surrounded by a red-hot brass wall (...);ย molten streams of metal surrounded by clouds of steam and fire are constantly discharged into the nearby river.

ยฟWhat do you think?

Excuse my pathetic english.

Edited by kiryamo

9 hours ago, kiryamo said:

So, another interpretation of the text you have posted is that the City of Brass, and only it, is the island surrounded by the Janube.

Sure, I said so. But either way, the river needs to form an island on the city map, which needs to be added to both of the maps you posted above.

ย 

It's logical, as the fire god is linked to the walls of the citadel. Also, it makes sense to the presence of a bridge.ย 

Sure, although a bridge across a magma-filled ditch has its appeal, too.

ย 

The rest of the city could have been built on that level, covering it and rising levels over the centuries, turning the river arm into underground, visible onlyย from the cliff of the citadel.

That's rather dangerous - if such an underground river gets blocked if the city above caves in the spells might be broken. If I was one of the sorcerers inside the volcano I would be rather averse to that risk.

I see an interesting profession in the river outside of the citadel - fishing for the brass that drips into the river, possibly using water-filled buckets. Possibly tolerated or even encouraged by the sorcerers as the channel might tighten up if the brass is left to grow uncontrollably into the channel.

The brass is of course the molten bone of the fire god.

ย 

• 5 years later...
On 10/24/2017 at 9:04 PM, 7Tigers said:

1st map is from 2009 out of print Mongoose Fronela supplement for RuneQuest 2nd Age. Map in book is not very larger...

The first map was by my own hand: it was done as a roughish outline so someone with better cartography skills than me could make a more polished version to go into our University of Sog City Conference Guide, for the How the West was One freeform in 1994. For whatever reason - couldn't find a mapmaker, ran out of time, whatever (so long ago I can't remember), we ended up just using my map in the book, for better or worse. I don't know who later on must have added the colours to the map, or the waves and trees.

It looks like whoever did the map in the Mongoose book used my map as a reference or inspiration.

My map and the Mongoose map that cribbed from it both long predate whatever is said about Sog City in The Guide.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MOB said:

I don't know who later on must have added the colours to the map, or the waves and trees.

The coloured version of your map is byย Klaus Viljanen

• Like 1

That is not dead which can eternal lie...

Behold, and tremble, ye foolish mortals!
For here we have dark and foul thread-necromancy by no lesser force than the mighty Chaosium itself!!!ย 

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

For here we have dark and foul thread-necromancy by no lesser force than the mighty Chaosium itself!!!ย 

Triggered I believe by a FB post asking about the layout of Sog City, so really just a response to a Summon Cult Spirit spell. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:57 AM, jajagappa said:

Triggered I believe by a FB post asking about the layout of Sog City, so really just a response to a Summon Cult Spirit spell. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Beware the dark path of the penโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ™‚