7th Edition Errata and Revisions

shosuro91

Hello, guys! My name is Álvaro and this is my first post in the forum! I've been getting into the Call of Cthulhu RPG during the last couple of months and I'm loving it so much!

In this post I wanted to ask you a few questions about the 7th Edition Keeper's rulebook. I've tried to find the answers to these questions on the internet but I haven't been able to find anything really helpful, so I hope that you can help me.

First of all, I've noticed that the PDF file available in drivethrurpg.com gets updates every now and then (it last did back in March) and I was wondering, do these updates correct errata/typos? I only own a physical copy of the book so I was wondering whether that PDF version would be more up to date than my physical copy (the copy I own belongs to the Fourth Printing). Also, in this regard, are there any differences between the different printings of the book? Are they revised in any way from one printing to another? Lastly, is there any kind of official collection of errata that I can find on the web?

I hope I'm not being disrespectful to the authors for talking about errata as if they were an actual issue in the book. The truth is I haven't found anything that seemed like one and I'm finding the book an extraordinary book, but I'm just being cautious. My favourite edition of my favourite RPG, the 4th edition of The Legend of the Five Rings, was full of errata, so ever since I read that book I've been a bit paranoid about them.

Anyway, I hope that you can answer my questions! Thanks very much for your help and excuse me if my English is not great, I'm not a native speaker of English! :)

• Like 1

Hi

Please see the top post in this forum - which details any errata for various Call of Cthulhu books, including the Rulebook. The PDFs available - depending from where you purchase the books from (Chaosium.com, DriveThru, Bits and Mortar) - are updated with the errata (which in the main corrects typos but also clarifies/corrects wording on a few rules too).

3 hours ago, Mike M said:

Hi

Please see the top post in this forum - which details any errata for various Call of Cthulhu books, including the Rulebook. The PDFs available - depending from where you purchase the books from (Chaosium.com, DriveThru, Bits and Mortar) - are updated with the errata (which in the main corrects typos but also clarifies/corrects wording on a few rules too).

Hi, Mike,

Thanks so much for replying. Does this thread contain all the errata that gets updated in the PDF versions of the books? Basically, I'm just interested in knowing if the PDFs are even more updated than the thread or if you just update them both equally. I'd like to have the most updated versions of the game so, if the PDFs are more up to date, I'd consider acquiring them as well. However, if your thread covers everything, my physical copies would be sufficient :) Thanks so much again.

Edited by shosuro91

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 4:06 AM, Mike M said:

The errata stated in the thread is updated to the PDFs.

This doesn't seem to be completely true for The Grand Grimoire of Cthulhu Mythos Magic; some of the problems noted in the errata document (wrong icons for categories and spells, missing space on p. 29) have been corrected in the latest version available from Chaosium.com, but others (Find Dreamer spell missing from Dreamlands spell list on p. 23, tongue-lash damage on p. 48) are still present.

Every other PDF I've checked appears to be up-to-date, though, so this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

• 10 months later...

Hi, guys,

I'm from Brazil and my english is rusty, but let's try it...

May u help me with two questions about a probable errata?

1 - The cost entry of Mind Exchange do not matche with the description of its use. Am I correct?

2 - The Table XIV: Gate Locations and Distances have an error on "POW (magic points) needed" column for Azathoth and Distant Quazar entries. It's 105 (21) instead of 105 (23), right?

Thanks a lot.

• 5 months later...

Was there an errata to the chase rules? I remember the pursuers being 1-2 locations behind the fleeing characters - but now all characters are ordered by MOV, with the slowest fleeing character always two locations ahead of the faster pursuer.

Edited by Merudo

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, paladin2769 said:

What print version of the core rulebook and investigator handbook have the errata included?  That is, the errors have been corrected.  

Thanks!

I personally have no idea if they have been, I would assume the PDFs have been fixed. But a couple errors won't ruin the game, at least in my opinion:) 

The main problem I have with the errors and errata is how the mindset reminds me of Electronic Arts... But I've already made my case.

Edited by Dethstrok9

-Voice of the Legion

4 hours ago, Mike M said:

When a book is reprinted, the files are updated to include any existing errata. 

Thanks Mike.  But I have copies of the fourth printing and they didnt have the errata that was from 2017 last time I checked online.  I'm trying to find out what printing I need to buy in order to get the most "current" errata free version of the core book and investigator handbook.  I havent even made the jump to Pulp Cthulhu yet.

Hi

The most recent printing of the Keeper Rulebook is the 7th printing (Sept 2019). 

I've just done a check that all outstanding errata was included into this printing - but found there are a handful of corrections that appear to have been missed (I have listed these below for your reference). I'll be getting these input and sorted for the next printing (8th printing) whenever that happens..

Page 8 – Contents – Chapter Six: Combat – 

Escaping Close Combat                                      108

(Combat has an errant “z” at end)

Page 37: Size: “60: Average human size…” – change “60” to “65”

Page 146 – column 2, last sentence, last word – “Any pursuers who are slower than the slowest fleeing character are left behind, and do not participate in the case.”  - Change “case” to “chase"

Page 155 – Temporary Insanity – replace first line with: If an investigator loses 5 or more Sanity points from a single source of Sanity loss (e.g. a Sanity roll or reading a tome) sufficient emotional trauma has been suffered that the Keeper must test the investigator’s sanity.

Page 398 – column 3 – “.25 Rim Fire” – “Rim Fire” should be “Rimfire”

Page 404 - Model 1882 Gatling Gun - end of row - insert comma after "1920s"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thanks so much Mike.  I just got the latest printings of both the keepers and Investigators books after reading your reply.  I will try to pass the earlier printing copies along with their errata to poor doomed souls who are still ignorant of the Great. Old Ones.  Almost like Jack Chick pamphlets except with much better art.  ;)

Thanks! 

• Haha 1

I haven't picked up the Keeper's Rulebook yet (still going through the Starter set), but does the preview available on DriveThruRPG reflect the latest rules version?  If so, I found an erratum:

Page 16, right column: In the last (Garrie) Keeper paragraph, it says "...the windows are barred with iron gratings...".  This is correct.  But in the last paragraph, it says "Do the grills on the windows unlock and swing back?" This should probably also be gratings.  If not, it should be spelled "grilles".

Edited by Dagonet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dagonet said:

I haven't picked up the Keeper's Rulebook yet (still going through the Starter set), but does the preview available on DriveThruRPG reflect the latest rules version?  If so, I found an erratum:

Page 16, right column: In the last (Garrie) Keeper paragraph, it says "...the windows are barred with iron gratings...".  This is correct.  But in the last paragraph, it says "Do the grills on the windows unlock and swing back?" This should probably also be gratings.  If not, it should be spelled "grilles".

Welcome to the greatest horror RPG, and my personal favorite! 

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

1 hour ago, Dethstrok9 said:

Welcome to the greatest horror RPG, and my personal favorite! 

Thank you! Though strictly speaking I'm getting back to it. I own the 4th edition (it's in a box somewhere...), and got a chance to play briefly about 30 years ago.  For all I remember about it, I might as well be a total newbie!

My grandfather introduced me to Lovecraft's work almost 40 years ago. He read some of the later stories as they came out in Weird Tales, and owned a number of Arkham House books before I was born. He was always into the coolest stuff! I have him to thank for my taste in books.

Edited by Dagonet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dagonet said:

Thank you! Though strictly speaking I'm getting back to it. I own the 4th edition (it's in a box somewhere...), and got a chance to play briefly about 30 years ago.  For all I remember about it, I might as well be a total newbie!

My grandfather introduced me to Lovecraft's work almost 40 years ago. He read some of the later stories as they came out in Weird Tales, and owned a number of Arkham House books before I was born. He was always into the coolest stuff! I have him to thank for my taste in books.

That's awesome! I have a complete collection of his fiction work which I got 2 years ago. I actually discovered his work through my love of the board game industry. There has been a definite change in the past couple years; it's gone from Tolkien and LoTR to Lovecraftian horror, and I found this amazing game! I've been role-playing with DnD for like 5 years, but now, there's no turning back!

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

• 2 weeks later...

In the Gate spell, the description reads "Creation of a Gate requires the permanent expenditure of POW in a sacrifice equal to the log to base 10 of the distance the Gate connects in miles multiplied by five."

Firstly, this seems ambiguously phrased. Do you take the distance in miles, multiply that figure by 5, then calculate the log of that number? From the table apparently not (but see below), but restating the sentence into something like "...POW in a sacrifice equal to five times the log to base 10 of the distance the Gate connects in miles." or even just adding a comma to the original sentence after the word "miles" would clarify the meaning.

Secondly, my knowledge of maths is limited, but a Gate connecting a distance of 100 miles (as per the table) should cost 10 POW, not 5 - the log of 100 is 2, multiplied by 5 is 10. Every distance entry on the table should be shifted down one, and the top line (POW 5) should be for a distance of 10 miles.

Apologies if this has been commented upon before; I couldn't find a previous posting addressing the issue. Also, please point out if I've made an obvious mathematical error.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tendentious said:

In the Gate spell, the description reads "Creation of a Gate requires the permanent expenditure of POW in a sacrifice equal to the log to base 10 of the distance the Gate connects in miles multiplied by five."

Firstly, this seems ambiguously phrased. Do you take the distance in miles, multiply that figure by 5, then calculate the log of that number? From the table apparently not (but see below), but restating the sentence into something like "...POW in a sacrifice equal to five times the log to base 10 of the distance the Gate connects in miles." or even just adding a comma to the original sentence after the word "miles" would clarify the meaning.

Secondly, my knowledge of maths is limited, but a Gate connecting a distance of 100 miles (as per the table) should cost 10 POW, not 5 - the log of 100 is 2, multiplied by 5 is 10. Every distance entry on the table should be shifted down one, and the top line (POW 5) should be for a distance of 10 miles.

Apologies if this has been commented upon before; I couldn't find a previous posting addressing the issue. Also, please point out if I've made an obvious mathematical error.

Or correct the text to "Creation of a Gate requires the permanent expenditure of POW in a sacrifice equal to the log to base 10 of the distance the Gate connects in miles, minus one (to a minimum of one), multiplied by five." This keeps the table intact.

• Like 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

• 1 month later...

I have a question:
The Grand Grimoire of Cthulhu Mythos Magic, p. 191, Wrath of Pazzuzu spell: "each bolt deals..."

And I don't see any statement about making multiple bolts. So, can this spel produce multiple bolts, and if yes, how exactly?

4 hours ago, trileo said:

I have a question:
The Grand Grimoire of Cthulhu Mythos Magic, p. 191, Wrath of Pazzuzu spell: "each bolt deals..."

And I don't see any statement about making multiple bolts. So, can this spel produce multiple bolts, and if yes, how exactly?

The base spell creates one bolt. You may choose to create a deeper magic version where multiple bolts are created. 

• Like 1