Hero Points poll!

Trifletraxor

Hero Points, do you think they should be included in the rules?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Hero Points, do you think they should be included in the rules?

• Of course, they are used by the majority for a reason.
    • Yes, as part of the optional rules.
    • No way!
    • Pie?

Umm, Am I missing something here? Your pollmaking skills are worse than mine!

I vote pie.

If that is not an option I don't think they should be in the core, but probably should be an optional rule.

I've never used them in a BRP game before, and probably won't in the future. I do use them in MRQ so far. I like the way they are used for two purposes in that game - there is strong incentive not to use them to fudge rolls unless absolutely necessary.

EDIT: Ahh, there it is. I didn't realise you could go back and make a thread a poll afterwards. Cool.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Umm, Am I missing something here? Your pollmaking skills are worse than mine!

Well, you're my poll-teacher, it only reflect back at you!

I vote pie.

Vote pie.

If that is not an option I don't think they should be in the core, but probably should be an optional rule.

Pie is ALWAYS an option.

EDIT: Ahh, there it is. I didn't realise you could go back and make a thread a poll afterwards. Cool.

The thread is posted before the poll. You're too quick! :mad:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I mean hero points/fate points to get out of trouble.

I say 'No way'. I was assuming you meant to buy story-fiddles as per MRQ, though (isn't that the way they do it?).

But is there another way?

(I have an idea or two, but would anyone else like to comment first?)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

When I get someone who always has to be the baddest and always win and so forth...I 86 him.:cool:

I look at the game as mutual story-telling, with random elements enforced by the die rolls. The 'random' parts discourage munchkinism of any sort, from chargen on. The other really important ingredient for a real rpg, to me, is one individual who can be impartial and engender trust in the players...the GM.

*shrug*Some gamers and gaming styles just are not compatible.

When I get someone who always has to be the baddest and always win and so forth...I 86 him.:cool:

I look at the game as mutual story-telling, with random elements enforced by the die rolls. The 'random' parts discourage munchkinism of any sort, from chargen on. The other really important ingredient for a real rpg, to me, is one individual who can be impartial and engender trust in the players...the GM.

*shrug*Some gamers and gaming styles just are not compatible.

So we can really hope that BRP will not change its design philosophy and try to please everybody. :)

I have no problem with Hero Points, or any other similiar engine. Sometimes the dice gods are fickle and can cause players/GM to have a bad day.

We have developed the Mr. Hand (Fast time at Ridgemont High) theory in our gaming circle.

"If it's my time and it's your time, then isn't it our time?"

In other words, we all there to have a good time and spending precious time out of our busy lives. It would suck to have a character or campaign derailed over one errant dice roll.

BRP Ze 32/420

In other words, we all there to have a good time and spending precious time out of our busy lives. It would suck to have a character or campaign derailed over one errant dice roll.

Which is why they're there, but as an optional system rather than a default part of the rules.

I have no problem with Hero Points, or any other similiar engine. Sometimes the dice gods are fickle and can cause players/GM to have a bad day.

We have developed the Mr. Hand (Fast time at Ridgemont High) theory in our gaming circle.

"If it's my time and it's your time, then isn't it our time?"

Well the definition of a "good time" varies from group to group, I guess. My group associate "having a good time" with having intense experiences, choices, good acting and an immersive rather "realistic" world. (if you can say roleplaying and realism in one sentence) This implies death of unlucky or careless PCs too. Otherwise it would be unreal and would feel artificial. During the last 20 years I played sometimes such "carebear" games as player where our GM didnt let die the players because they were friends, husbands etc. or claiming that we "all want to have a good time (blablah)..." and they were not fun at all for me. (I had no good time with such games) They were not believeable, lack in authenticity and I always had the feeling that they were just shallow caricatures.

For me, I'd say it depends on the campaign and what the focus and themes are. If you want to strive for a gritty tense feeling in a harsh or neutral world at best, where death is just around the corner and every FP counts then Hero Points and other meta-mechanisms, to coin a term, probably have no place, but if you want to go for a flashier larger-than-life mood where Lady Fortuna smiles benevolently on your heroes and the players have greater say in how the world works, the Hero Points would definitely be handy.

A little cross-pollination of ideas between systems and styles can never hurt imo, you take what you need and leave the rest. And as has been commented on often enough, BRP is flexible enough to do just that.

For me, I'd say it depends on the campaign and what the focus and themes are. If you want to strive for a gritty tense feeling in a harsh or neutral world at best, where death is just around the corner and every FP counts then Hero Points and other meta-mechanisms, to coin a term, probably have no place, but if you want to go for a flashier larger-than-life mood where Lady Fortuna smiles benevolently on your heroes and the players have greater say in how the world works, the Hero Points would definitely be handy.

Yep you are right. This would be an ideal, but in reality its not practicized. At least I dont know any groups which play today a gritty, harsh game and tomorrow a carebear game for flashy heroes. Either they think this type of game is fun or the prefer the other. Not both. Maybe sometimes there might be a change in playing style over the years, but but its rather a developement and not a matter of free choice which style you use.