Testing the RuneQuest Form-Fillable Adventurer Sheet

Jason D

I've just received an unexpected bonus in my mailbox - a form-fillable character sheet from the person working on another electronic play aid for us. 

This is, unfortunately, the un-corrected version of the character sheet, as he was both unaware it had been corrected and I was unaware he was doing a form-fillable sheet. 

I submit this for testing purposes, and encourage folks to give it a try and see what errors they can discover. We can test it on our own (and will!) but the more eyes the better. Please post any errors you find in the sheet functionality in this thread. 

Note that our dev has said that the experience check-boxes are not yet implemented, so that's a known issue. 

Thanks! 

001 RuneQuest Glorantha - Character Sheet.pdf

• Like 2

I'm using Readdle's PDF Expert and it looks good. A few bugs:

Elemental runes can't be more than 100% (the rules give me the impression they can)

can't have stats lower than 3 (aging)

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Just opened it using Apple's Preview - Characteristics only display first numeral so it looks like your character as 1 in each, same with elemental runes. And the Skill mods don't auto generate. But this is likely a Preview issue as its not known for playing nice. If I open the PDF in Safari it all works. 

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

I'm using Readdle's PDF Expert and it looks good.

Appears to be functional in Chrome, too.

Elemental runes can't be more than 100% (the rules give me the impression they can)

They can't in character creation, but I don't see why passions or non-opposed runes shouldn't be able to go there through play. And I wonder whether enlightenment/illumination can break the 100% total for opposed runes.

can't have stats lower than 3 (aging)

Or Tapping.

The upper limit of 21 is annoying, too - there are other races which may use a human character sheet (perhaps only with a small alteration in the Man vs Beast pair), and there might be other ways to break the human condition (like Chaos features).

Form restraints can be a pain when they don't fit the work flow..

The Man/Beast pair is a bit counter-intuitive in that you need to change Beast for Man to adapt, even though the check box in the square sort of indicates that. Intuitively I start from top to bottom.

Sorcerous Free INT is misleading. It calculates points above 13, which is wrong - a sorcerer with INT 13 can learn one technique and one rune, so the algorithm should substract 11. Anyway, the term Free INT is not used for the potential of learning runes and techniques, but for the un-assigned points of INT.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, styopa said:

I left out any autocalculation as it's sort of anathema to teaching the game

I love Anathema, it’s great for getting straight in a game of Exalted, all the calculations done for you, I loved its expandability. I hope the RQG one is as good. https://anathema.github.io/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, Psullie said:

Just opened it using Apple's Preview - Characteristics only display first numeral so it looks like your character as 1 in each, same with elemental runes. And the Skill mods don't auto generate. But this is likely a Preview issue as its not known for playing nice. If I open the PDF in Safari it all works. 

I have tried to open it under Apple's Preview and Safari, all numeral are dispayed, but nothing is generated. Damage bonus, SR and Skill mods don't auto generate (i can see negatives values for skill mods and damage bonus that don't change when characteristics values changed).

Note: i have tried Jason's sheet.

Edited by Pheres

55 minutes ago, Pheres said:

I have tried to open it under Apple's Preview and Safari, all numeral are dispayed, but nothing is generated. Damage bonus, SR and Skill mods don't auto generate (i can see negatives values for skill mods and damage bonus that don't change when characteristics values changed).

Note: i have tried Jason's sheet.

What OS are you running, I'm on Sierra. 

Generally speaking these kind of sheets only work properly with Adobe Reader or Acrobat. If you have one of them installed, it’s likely you have the adobe plugin installed in your browser, which means the sheet will work there too.

macOS’s Preview is a very simple viewer and very unlikely to do anything useful with a sheet such as this, it only supports PDF 1.5 and a few extras, calculating stuff starts at version 1.6. 

-----

Using PDF expert on a Mac, I ran into the following problems:

• Dodge skill is pinned to DEX x 2, and can't be changed
  • Jump skill is pinned to DEX x 3 and can't be changed
  • Skill modifiers aren't added to the displayed skill values, which is probably not the best use for ease of use
  • Free INT doesn't seem to update, and can't be edited
  • The two Spirit Combat values on the sheet (under Spirit Combat and Magic Skills) aren't linked, and can be different

Aside from those issues though, this is a really good start!

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Generally speaking these kind of sheets only work properly with Adobe Reader or Acrobat. If you have one of them installed, it’s likely you have the adobe plugin installed in your browser, which means the sheet will work there too.

macOS’s Preview is a very simple viewer and very unlikely to do anything useful with a sheet such as this, it only supports PDF 1.5 and a few extras, calculating stuff starts at version 1.6. 

I have tried in Adobe Reader and all seems to run well except for free Int and spirit combat value first page that is not link to the one on second page.

Free int seem to be calculated in the sheet with the following formula: INT - 13 and equal 0 when INT is lower than 13. But it's not the right formula.

Edited by Pheres

On 7/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, David Scott said:

Correct, for best result use Adobe Reader DC on a computer. Even Adobes own app on the Ipad doesn't support more advanced PDF files I've found out. Might support simple form fillable sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

My one cent return on the fillable sheet:

I have used my character in order to fill the sheet. Everything was ok for me except for one point: There are missing some lines (one or two) in the weapons table, and a shield table will also be welcome.

Regards