Need background on Battle of Moonbroth

OrlanthRex

I have a large amount of Glorantha source materials, but am having difficulty finding the details I want for the first Battle of Moonbroth. I remember reading something years ago that described how the Lunar magicians bested the Praxian shamans, but can’t seem to locate it now. Can anyone point me to a good source?

Trying to develop a family background for a player character baboon shaman. His troop has their ancestral origins in the Monkey Ruins. Since Oakfeed also has a connection to these ruins, I thought it would be cool if one of his ancestors was one of the Oakfeed shamans that died during the battle. 

The best reference is in Borderlands and the Oakfed mention is:

Oakfed could not withstand the Lunar magics; his shamans died again and again.

Borderlands and Beyond p11

In one of the Tales, there was a development of that idea in which the Lunar Magicians summoned up Lodril who then said "Oakfed!  I am your father!!" causing Oakfed to meltdown and burn his shamans (or something to that effect).  That however doesn't sound quite right to me as battlefield summonings of the Gods isn't the Lunar thing - summoning a volcano or massive sunspear, yes, but a direct physical manifestations, no.

7 hours ago, OrlanthRex said:

His troop has their ancestral origins in the Monkey Ruins.

As do all baboons, it's their ancestral homeland.

Since Oakfed also has a connection to these ruins

The connection is that this is where Oakfed landed and destroyed the city and most of its inhabitants. Oakfed is the traditional enemy of of the baboons.

I thought it would be cool if one of his ancestors was one of the Oakfeed shamans that died during the battle. 

This is a great twist, I've always thought that some baboon shaman would turn to Oakfed even though he's their cultural enemy. The baboons spend a lot of time keeping out those who would summon oakfed back into their city. In the Spirit World, the Monkey Ruins sit in the Fireground - an eternally burning area still alight from Oakfed's arrival. 

If you haven't seen it, check out the excellent picture of the baboons and Monkey Ruins on page 33 of 13th Age Glorantha.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

There was an oakfed pc Baboon shaman in one of my Baboon games.

'Ot Po'tato. His troop sort to control and contain Oakfed and put on great Bbqs. His troop's base was around the still burning hole/crater where Oakfed landed. Good source of fire spirits.

He was constantly setting fire to things and surrounded by a cloud of smoke.

Went and looked up one of his lines.

"We need big, big, fire to cook you all: 'Ot Po'tato hungry and his god likes burning hoomans. You lie down and die now okey dokey?" 'Ot Po'tato to sable riders

Edited by Iskallor
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will incorporate that source material. @David, that was the picture that gave me the idea for the pack’s home range. @Iskallor, love the colorful background. This type of flavor makes playing RQ baboons, ducks and trolls so much fun.

This will be the first time I’ve DMed RQ since RQ 2/3 days. I love the idea of each character starting with a rich history, it just means a lot of background work for GM. This will be the first shaman player character ever played. Since Gloranthan baboon history isn’t as voluminous as other races, I thought it important to come up some interesting ancestors for an ancestor worshipping shaman baboon. 

Is this thread a RuneQuest question/topic or a Gloranthan question/topic?

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

2 minutes ago, Sunwolfe said:

Is this thread a RuneQuest question/topic or a Gloranthan question/topic?

Given the tight integration of RQG and Glorantha, I expect we'll see a lot that could go in either.  Since this was noted in the initial post: "Trying to develop a family background for a player character baboon shaman", I'd interpret as an RQG question.

15 hours ago, OrlanthRex said:

Trying to develop a family background for a player character baboon shaman. His troop has their ancestral origins in the Monkey Ruins. Since Oakfeed also has a connection to these ruins, I thought it would be cool if one of his ancestors was one of the Oakfeed shamans that died during the battle.

In my game one of my players' father's died at the (first) Battle of Moonbroth during the Family Background creation - see page 34. In your case just bend the character generation to allow your player do this - as it says on page 29:

The gamemaster and player should improvise, modify, discard, or otherwise manipulate the results of the Family History in the interest of creating a more interesting or relevant background for the adventurer.

Later when passing Moonbroth, he summoned (specific ancestor) - his father and bound him into his spear. As the character is an assistant shaman, his father is a shaman.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/