21th Century setting of COC

lwhitehead

Hi folks I would like to officially create the 21th Century COC setting taking in account the official HP Lovecraft stories as history, like Shadow of Innsmouth and the USA Goverment responce too it.

I want to write about Arkham city and the College that's part of the city.

LW

I'm not sure Chaosium is going to just let you "officially create" a setting without establishing yourself first. ;) Of course, nothing is stopping you from creating fan-inspired personal content on your own.

A good place to start would be to submit something to the Miskatonic Repository first, being careful to follow the guidelines.

Wishing you success in getting started in the industry!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lwhitehead said:

Hi folks I would like to officially create the 21th Century COC setting taking in account the official HP Lovecraft stories as history, like Shadow of Innsmouth and the USA Goverment responce too it.

I want to write about Arkham city and the College that's part of the city.

LW

Arkham Now (https://www.chaosium.com/arkham-now/), an official Chaosium publication, already exists. You could certainly write things for the Repository, as klecser suggests, set in modern Arkham.

• Like 1

But to be fair, Chaosium has never really been about "modern" settings, that usually is farmed out through licenses such as "Delta Green". 

That said, I personally enjoy more modern games that take place in the 70/80/90's. So “Arkham Now” actually works for me 🤪  But yes, I'd like to see a source book for the 2000's as well. 

In fact I find more modern games easier to get players for in my area.  Too many players today have no reference for games in the 20/30's or even 40/50's.  No one has seen any of the old movies that apply and frankly won't watch them.  Most have not even read Lovecraft as they are "too dated".  And read a book like the Maltese Falcon?  Never.  

Now framing a game on X-Files or a more recent movie is more sell-able. 

• Like 1

I prefer 21st century to 20s. 30s / Pulp is a bit more interesting because it reminds me of Indiana Jones and is really fun to play. I cannot relate to the 20s, I have absolutely no connection to that time period. The 80s are interesting as well because of Stranger Things, and the lack of the Internet and mobile phones might make investigations more interesting.

There are some great 21st century modules around (Petersen's Abominations for example) although there is no setting book that I know of. Not that you really need it, but it wouldn't hurt of course. Delta Green seems too military / police centric for me, and I am not really interested in the sanity issues that are supposed to be a big part of the game between sessions (I haven't played it yet).