Aeolian Cataphract - Orlanth or St Worlath?

10baseT

Good Afternoon good people, did the Aeolian saints get redacted or are they still in use with RQG? I'm making some Aeolian NPCs in Heortland, mainly Salt Point, Viziel and Duchamp. If I wanted them to follow Orlanth, would they say it as Orlanth or St Worlath?

17 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

If I wanted them to follow Orlanth, would they say it as Orlanth or St Worlath?

"Saints" have been redacted overall (as has everything that hints of/suggests medieval Europe/medieval church).

I believe canonically they will just say Orlanth. But for your game, feel free to use Worlath to distinguish the differentness of the Aeolians.

Saints are still there (Guide p51) but in a heavily reduced capacity.  Most Aeolians would know that Orlanth is a God, not a Saint or Ascended Master (think of the difference between Zeus and Plato).  

If you want an exotic form of Orlanth, then it would be better to use Aerlit, who is found in Seshnela and is, ancestral to a dynasty of Kings there, (although there is also a Coalat).  Have his worshippers be a deviant warrior order who were brought eastward by Rikard the Tigerhearted.  Worlath is mentioned only in Umathela, suggesting that Orlanth is known by that name there.

The Aeolians acknowledge Orlanthi as an emanation of the Invisible God and many worship him. He is not a euhemerized mortal. 

The Aeolians have been isolated from mainstream Malkionism for some 600 years - since the Closing. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

The Aeolians have been isolated from mainstream Malkionism for some 600 years - since the Closing. 

IMO about 150 years longer - the last major Slontan presence in Esvulari lands was about 80 years before the fall of the Clanking City, and afterwards "mainstream" Malkionism came in the shape of the Zistorites or the Brithini of Refuge/Jon Barat.

Back when I introduced the notion of e.g. St. Ehilm I didn't mean to suggest that the sun entity revered there had ever been a mortal (though it left the possibility that the entity had been an Erasanchula, one of the immortal human(oid) emanations of the Core Runes in Danmalastan).

Ehilm is a sun/fire entity well known in the Lightbringer's Quest, and it was a handy moniker at that time (and now again) to provide a neutral stance in the Elmal/Yelmalio question. The last light defender against both Darkness and Chaos looked to me as the ideal presentation of Esvulari horsemen in Jansholm in predominantly Heortling lands - they may be strange in their worship and all, but they are reliable defenders against those threats.

In my first draft of the Aeolian Church 25 years ago (which came out around the same time David Hall's write-up for How the West Was One was made public), I tried to avoid using the Saint appellation for Orlanth, making him the emanation of Malkion that brought the Light back. Playing on the term Trinity may not have been helpful in avoiding the Christian parallel, but "Triangularity" sounds iffy. I do plead guilty for toting the concept of "divine saints" for the rest of the Heortling pantheon when it applied to the Esvulari. These were meant to be deities who were not the direct agents of Malkion, but did good in supporting Orlanth in the Lightbringer task. "Angelic" might have been another way to formulate that, with the same degree of misappropriation as medieval.

I did borrow heavily from the Anglo-Saxon transition from paganism to Christianity, which does fall roughly into the historical backdrom of the Artus legend (though completely ignored by the Mallory version). I felt this was warranted as there is no indication that the Esvulari are descended from immortal Brithini - they feel like converts of Theyalan stock.

The move away from the terms "church" and "saint" makes using the two main pieces on the Malkioni in the Stafford Library quite problematic, as those texts have these terms (and other HQ1-isms like "liturgists") in droves. (Revealed Mythology, Middle Sea Empire)

A revised take on Malkionism, with focus on more than the Rokari sect of Tanisor and Rindland, would be appreciated. Ideally on the same scope as Ttrotsky's churchy take on the West, but creating that Bronze Age monotheism vibe presented in the Guide.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis