It has been over a century since the Machine Civilisation gifted humanity technological marvels such as the Visser Cube, allowing wormhole travel across the vast chasms of interstellar space. Now interstellar distances grow ever shorter. How the myriad of splintered cultures view this gift varies. Some see it as a blessing, a way to draw humanity into a united whole. Others see it as a curse, robbing them of their individuality. And then there are those who would use it as a means to subjugate humanity and impose their own will upon all…
Across the river of heaven, humanity clings to a scattering of islands in a sea of stars. Players can take on a multitude of roles in this future: a crew member on an interstellar trader, a member of the mysterious Engineers’ Guild, a body-hopping Intercessionist agent – out to manipulate human cultures to its own secret ends, a Renouncer Zealot – intent on destroying Artificial Intelligence in all its forms, or perhaps one of the Reclaimers – planetary engineers dedicated to terraforming any viable planet they happen upon…
In the core rulebook you will find:
• The OpenQuest rules engine - tailored to a hard sci-fi setting, making River of Heaven a self-contained game.
• Simple Character generation: Enabling you to go from concept to fully finished character as quickly as possible.
• Augmentations: Humanity has found many ways to improve upon what nature created. Quickly augment your character with the latest biotech/nanotech upgrades.
• Equipment: All the weapons, armour and other types of equipment your character might need to go adventuring in the 28th century.
• Transportation: Information on how to get around the River of Heaven universe, be it lowly pack animal on a frontier dirt farm or an interstellar trader equipped with exotic stellar-tap drive.
• Background: In addition to a timeline spanning 1000 years of future history, River of Heaven includes an introduction to the Bright Age, the default play setting for the game. It also includes a campaign setting – the Kentauran Hegemony – and information about all the colonised star systems at the start of the 28th century.
• An example adventure: Reunion is an introductory adventure designed to get you up and running River of Heaven as soon as possible. It can be played as a one-off, or as the start of a campaign.
• Adventure Seeds: Ideas for adventure ideas set in the River of Heaven universe, covering a wide range of styles and themes.
By John Ossoway. To be published by D101 Games.
Edited by Trifletraxor, 30 June 2012 - 12:20 PM.