10 replies to this topic

#1 Urizen

Urizen

Poseur Grog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Aside from my Concept Album of a setting (detailed over in RQ6) I am seriously considering working on a RuneQuest 6 game designed around a historical world of the very early 'dark ages' and the Middle Ages. I will make a list here of what I have accumulated so far, and would like to know if there are any good d100 sources I have missed.

My goal here is not just to find stuff for my own game but to create a reference list for people who want to do historical European roleplaying without having to search Google as much as I did. This list would include everything from late Antiquity into the Renaissance, which is a thousand years, and focusing on BRP.

BRP
Crusaders of the Amber Coast
Merrie England
Mythic Iceland
Pax Romana
Rome: Life and Death of the Republic
Witchcraft
Val-du-Loup

Cakebread & Walton
Clockwork & Chivalry
Diverse & Sundry
Renaissance Deluxe

Call of Cthulhu
Cthulhu Dark Ages
Cthulhu Invictus

Legend
Arms of Legend
Gladiators of Legend
Pirates of Legend
Vikings of Legend

MRQ
Deus Vult & Ex Cathedra
Empires
Stupor Mundi

Pendragon
Beyond the Wall
Book of Knights
Lordly Domains
Noble's Book
Pagan Shore
Pendragon 5th Edition
Saxons!

Time & Time Again: Holy Warriors

Non-RQ Derived Systems
Books I think are good enough depots of information that they could be used for a medieval game, despite being dissimilar in system to BRP.
Burgs and Bailiffs
AD&D 2e: Celts Campaign, Charlemagne's Paladins, the Crusades, the Glory of Rome, Viking Campaign
Ars Magica 5th Edition: Core Rulebook, City & Guilds, Lords of Men
Chivalry & Sorcery, especially the unofficial Redbook editions.
Fief: A Look at Medieval Society from Its Lower Rungs
d20: The Last Days of Constantinople
GURPS 3rd Edition: Arabian Nights, Camelot, Celtic Myth, Middle Ages 1, Religion, Vikings
GURPS 4th Edition Crusades, Hot Spots: Constantinople and Renaissance Florence, Low-Tech and Companions 1-3
Harn Manor
HarnPlayer Player's Guide to HarnWorld
High Medieval
Maelstron, which, oddly enough, is based on the Advanced Fighting Fantasy roleplaying system.
Magical Medieval City Guide and Magical Medieval Europe
Timemaster: Sea Dogs of England and Temples of Blood
Town: City Dweller's Look at 13th to 15th Century Europe

Edited by Urizen, 08 June 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#2 ORtrail

ORtrail

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

Wow, seems like a exhaustive list. Covering about a 1000 years seems like a very wide net to cast. A lot changed in Britain from when the Romans left to the 16th century for example. That said, I do have some suggestions for your list. Several time travel games have adventures or supplements covering that time span.

A BRP derived game from TimeLine LTD (of The Morrow Project fame) called Time & Time Again. There was a module produced for it called Holy Warriors that covers the Crusader period in good detail.

Pacesetter had some adventures, such as one about King Arthur, called Clash of Kings. A couple others were set in the 1500s: Sea Dogs of England and Temples of Blood.

Finally, a D20 adventure called The Last Days of Constantinople.

Edited by ORtrail, 07 June 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#3 Urizen

Urizen

Poseur Grog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

Wow, seems like a exhaustive list. Covering about a 1000 years seems like a very wide net to cast. A lot changed in Britain from when the Romans left to the 16th century for example.

Thanks for your suggestions, they have been added to the lists.
The width of this net is one reason I have been assembling these resources. I need to research and decide which period I actually want to run it in, so I can break out the appropriate Osprey books when designing Combat Styles [RQ6 will be the core] and setting up maps. Proto-medieval antiquity appeals a great deal, but so does the period of the Crusades; my usual darling is the Renaissance era (articulated plate is fun), but I feel that's been adequately done in Renaissance Deluxe.

It's amazing, considering how influential the ancient and medieval world are for fantasy games, that there's a tremendous lack of content and interest in historical games, even historical fantasy. Not that Pendragon and GURPS Rome don't have their admirers, but considering how many people play in settings that are pretty much cheesy ripoffs of the medieval and antique periods I think it says something about a disconnect between the people who built the fantasy genre and the majority of its players.
Of course, the same can largely be said regarding game masters and players: if players weren't lazy, they'd be game masters.

#4 SDLeary

SDLeary

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:05 AM

To be honest, you might be better off getting a book of non-fiction and then just rolling your own, but of course it depends on how much detail you want and your chosen starting area of Europe. Each of the base BRP systems has its own focus. Dark Ages focuses mainly on Frankia around 1000AD, and does a good broad job, but doesn't give much detail. Invictus includes a lot of detail, but is much earlier than the period you are looking at. Pendragon and supplements add a 12th-14th C Chivalric tone which is sometimes difficult to pry out if you are not careful.

Any of the systems could work fine though. Just a decent amount of setting work for the chosen period.

SDLeary

#5 Urizen

Urizen

Poseur Grog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

To be honest, you might be better off getting a book of non-fiction and then just rolling your own, but of course it depends on how much detail you want and your chosen starting area of Europe.
SDLeary

I own some history books on the subject, but there is a difference: RPGs focus on stuff that tends to be encountered while playing an RPG, whereas history books aren't constrained by such practical motives. It would be as simple as a google search and some copy-paste to get accurate maps, personalities and military affairs in a defined period and place (say, Brabant) but there are always little bits of characterization and focus that make the RPG books useful in this respect. A specific example would be the background tables in HarnWorld and Chivalry & Sorcery, which can be easily adapted to BRP.

Each of the base BRP systems has its own focus. Dark Ages focuses mainly on Frankia around 1000AD, and does a good broad job, but doesn't give much detail. Invictus includes a lot of detail, but is much earlier than the period you are looking at. Pendragon and supplements add a 12th-14th C Chivalric tone which is sometimes difficult to pry out if you are not careful.

I definitely agree that there are bits and pieces that really affect the tone. I will probably not be using magic (or, like Pendragon and some Chivalry & Sorcery campaigns, making it a GM-only affair) and that's something I need to look out for, I don't want to get into LeFey or Nyralathotep on accident. I will be using RuneQuest 6, and I actually already own most of the books I listed. I tend to buy RuneQuest-based systems on general principle, because it's not too much monkey-work to make them fit together (Hell, BRP BGB basically is someone doing this with the Chaosium branches).

Any of the systems could work fine though. Just a decent amount of setting work for the chosen period.

And that's exactly what started this sort-of scattershot pile of books/pdfs I've assembled before me, I want to progressively refine the elements I'm interested in and then choose the time period that best suits/fits/contains them.

#6 Questbird

Questbird

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

You have most of the sources I know of for BRP. I know you listed some of the Harn books already but really those are a pretty good repository of mostly RPG-focused medieval research. Even though Harn/Lythia is not medieval Europe, its creators have pretty much researched that period to a large extent as inspiration. I would also give a cheer to Cthulhu Dark Ages and Crusaders of the Amber Coast for historical BRP. A good non-gaming resource is the Dictionary of Chivalry by Grant Uden (though I'm not sure if it's still in print).

#7 SokMunki

SokMunki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:29 AM

Palladium's "The Compendium of Weapons, Armour & Castles" may be useful.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/091621138X

#8 soltakss

soltakss

RQ Fogey

• Members
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

That sounds like a good list. Have a look at the Alternate Earth look in my signature, as that lists what I think is available for BRP/RQ/Legend/D100 Alternate Earth supplements.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.
Many Systems, One Family

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://www.alephtarg...gland&Itemid=57 and http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: www.soltakss.com/index.html
RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups....ternateearthrq/ Website: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/

#9 Urizen

Urizen

Poseur Grog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

Palladium's "The Compendium of Weapons, Armour & Castles" may be useful.

I've had that book since 1997, heh. It is a good bit, though.

#10 Darkholme

Darkholme

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

By any chance, does anyone know of a BRP 3-Musketeers-France style supplement? Or perhaps one regarding the Mongolians or Ireland in different time periods than the fantasy mashup of things from 6th century to 15th century for Pendragon's Pagan Shore (maybe an earlier mythical Ireland, or a late dark ages Ireland, or a renaissance Ireland)? How about some stuff on Italy/Greece in different time periods? I also notice a lack of Egypt stuff. 

And of course, if someone could wrangle up the license for it, I would be very happy with a detailed Hyborian Era or Middle-Earth world guide. Those count as ancient pre-history, right? :P

I have the hardcover MRQII Vikings (Vikings of Legend, but hardcover and full sized). It was quite an interesting read.

I can see myself getting some of these books just for the interesting reading while on the toilet. :P

#11 SDLeary

SDLeary

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

There was a supplement in the works (3rd party) for Eastern Europe and Asia under the Mongols, but I'm not sure of the status of that project.

SDLeary

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ages, medieval, middle, runequest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users