The Hawkmoon Monograph?

redmoongoddess

ALLLLL the way back in 2005, Chaosium published a Monograph based on the Hawkmoon novels that reportedly was much better than the original rules in terms of setting details, but included almost NO stats, and to this day, it remains un-reprinted or released anywhere! 

Sooo, is there any chance that Lawrence Whitaker or Chaosium or somebody who was involved with the thing could post the thing on the net for archival purposes? Or are there copyright stuff that are preventing it from ever being brought to the light of day?

• Thanks 1

I believe there is active (albeit slow) conversation happening with Mr.Moorcock & one or more RPG companies; at least, that's what I heard a couple of years ago.

But yeah:  without his permission, it's a strict no-go ...   "for archival purposes" being a thinly-veiled e-jolly-roger these days.

C'es ne pas un .sig

As the status of the licensing for 'Hawkmoon' as a property is unclear, and certainly not held by myself, TDM, or Chaosium (rights to Elric games are currently held by Sombre Projets for the Mournblade RPG, and rights for a Hawkmoon TV adaptation have been licensed to BBC Studios), there is no way that I'll be making the Hawkmoon Monograph available for public download, as it may well breach trademark and licensing agreements.

I do know that a few people on this forum (and most likely reading thread) may have a copy of the Hawkmoon Monograph in PDF. I would respectfully request that no one attempts to upload or distribute it.

Sorry to have to disappoint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 5 months later...

It's not the Whitaker monograph, but there was a printed Hawkmoon game using Mongoose's Runequest II rules. It was by Gareth Hanrahan I  think and it wasn't bad. You might find second-hand copies of that around, though Mongoose no longer has rights to either Hawkmoon or Runequest.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1

Noble Knight in the US have some Mongoose Hawkmoon: https://www.nobleknight.com/Publisher/Mongoose-Publishing?ProductLineId=2137421219&InStockOnly=true it also crops up moderately frequently on my eBay searches for RPGs in the UK.

Noble Knight do NOT have the Monograph - and apparently last had it 2010 (04/09/2010) - https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147379458/Hawkmoon---Adventures-in-the-Tragic-Millennium

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, lawrence.whitaker said:

As the status of the licensing for 'Hawkmoon' as a property is unclear, and certainly not held by myself, TDM, or Chaosium (rights to Elric games are currently held by Sombre Projets for the Mournblade RPG, and rights for a Hawkmoon TV adaptation have been licensed to BBC Studios), there is no way that I'll be making the Hawkmoon Monograph available for public download, as it may well breach trademark and licensing agreements.

I do know that a few people on this forum (and most likely reading thread) may have a copy of the Hawkmoon Monograph in PDF. I would respectfully request that no one attempts to upload or distribute it.

Sorry to have to disappoint. 

As I often do, I agree with Loz. Chaosium does not have a license to do anything with the Hawkmoon IP, or any other Moorcock IP. We cannot sell or distribute in any fashion the Hawkmoon Monograph, and we echo Loz's request that no one distribute any PDFs of this material, no matter how well intentioned you are trying to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.