Old 'zines?

SNaomiScott

Howdy

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a hold of the RQ 'zines, such as Tales of the Reaching Moon (UK) or Wyrm's Footnotes? I know Footnotes issue 15 is available from Chaosium, but I'm hoping to get legitimate copies of the older issues of both if they're available. Ebay's not being very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, SNaomiScott said:

Howdy

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a hold of the RQ 'zines, such as Tales of the Reaching Moon (UK) or Wyrm's Footnotes? I know Footnotes issue 15 is available from Chaosium, but I'm hoping to get legitimate copies of the older issues of both if they're available. Ebay's not being very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

The best opportunity to get some is on the auctions or flea markets at Glorantha-conventions where some may be sold with the convention taking a share in the sales. Ebay requires constant alert not to miss an opportunity...

The "buy them all" quest requires quite the monetary sacrifice. I managed to get the Wyrms Footnotes from issue 5, a legit collection of Tales (through subscription and the few reprint (xerox, ring-bound) releases of the first issues) back when supply still was plentiful.

The juicy stuff from the Footprints has been expanded in official Chaosium products, now. The Sourcebook has Gods and Goddesses and a more complete Redline History of the Wanes than Footprints ever managed. The mishaps of the Temple of the Wooden Sword were spread out across Footnotes and APAZine contributions, and I haven't yet seen a complete reprint of those. A nice searchable pdf probably would sell moderatel well via the Vault. It gives a quite unexpected Actual Play of part of (?) Greg's Sartar campaign.

On the whole, these are collectors' items rather than serious sources nowadays, with plenty of official material available. Some of the scenarios might be extracted for a collection, but quite a few of those authors have fallen out of communication range of the Tribe (the latest such breakdown being the closing of G+), so producing this legitimately is almost impossible.

There will be the occasional sale of a significant collection, whether due to moves or more tragic circumstances.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

When eBay is not being helpful, I usually turn to Noble Knight and AbeBooks. In this case, Amazon and Wayne's Books also have relevant stuff, for what it's worth, but I never bought used books from either so I cannot vouch for that.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

26 minutes ago, Joerg said:

On the whole, these are collectors' items rather than serious sources nowadays, with plenty of official material available.

I would second that sentiment. The few old things I tracked down look nice on my shelves, but I frankly haven't reached much for them except for the occasional smelling (smelling old books is awesome... don't look at me! it's perfectly normal!). The only "older" things I tracked down that I actually think will be helpful in practice are the four "Glorantha Classics" reprints/compilations (available in PDF via Chaosium) (although I'm still missing one).

Still, sometimes old things just give you ideas, so it's worth flipping through fanzines and such. It's not so much the material itself, and more about getting your brain going.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

On the whole, these are collectors' items rather than serious sources nowadays...

Thanks for the feedback.

It's the collecting aspect I'm working on, mainly due to nostalgia - I had quite a few of the old ToTRM issues back in the '90s, and a few Wyrm's Footnotes (plus Footprints) but they went walkabout after giving them to a friend for safekeeping, along with my original RQ2 collection. I've managed to replace most of the RQ2 stuff so now I'm moving on to the 'zines and thought I'd try and get the full set, as it were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

When eBay is not being helpful, I usually turn to Noble Knight and AbeBooks. In this case, Amazon and Wayne's Books also have relevant stuff, for what it's worth, but I never bought used books from either so I cannot vouch for that.

Hadn't heard of Noble Knight or Wayne's Books (thank you) but have already bookmarked a few items on the other two for consideration.

I would love a complete set of Wyrms Footnotes, though the Wyrms Footprints collection has most of the good stuff, and The Glorantha Sourcebook takes the core parts of that and updates and expands them. But there are odd things (RQ stats for major NPCs, for example, or the Dragonewt stuff from WF14 that I definitely USED to own) that I still wish I had access too. I do make use of that material sometimes - for example, Jar-Eel, Gunda, and Fazzur Wideread are all NPCs in my game (well, the PCs have not met Gunda yet) and their stats from WF (yes, even the D&Dish Hargrave ones) have been at least inspirational. 

I loved Tales and have almost all issues - but there are huge chunks of stuff published in Tales (most of their Lunar and Western stuff, especially) that is now too far out of continuity to be that useful. A lot is still inspiring and fun to read. And it remains a great celebration of community creativity and humour. 

• Like 1

We are working on releasing all of Wyrms Footnotes 1-14 as individual PDFs soon, as in within the next month. We have 4 issues left to finish.

They will probably also be available as POD.

As for Tales of the Reaching Moon, stay tuned.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PRINTED ORIGINALS, please email me at rmeints-at-gmail-dot-com. I recently acquired a spare set of Tales 1-20, and many of the issues of Wyrms Footnotes. The originals would be at collectors prices...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Q @Rick Meints  --

I had understood (evidently incorrectly) that a big issue with not re-issuing some of those older 'zines was a matter of rights... that (at least some of) the authors had only sold "first publication" rights or similar, and retained the (c) for future use of the material.

Had I misunderstood?  Or (since it's just re-publishing the same content under the same titles & "Chaosium" brand) it's covered under original contract?  Or ... ?

TYVM !

Edited by g33k
Hating the mobile-device editor!

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Q @Rick Meints  --

I had understood (evidently incorrectly) that a big issue with not re-issuing some of those older 'zines was a matter of rights... that (at least some of) the authors had only sold "first publication" rights or similar, and retained the (c) for future use of the material.

Had I misunderstood?  Or (since it's just re-publishing the same content under the same titles & "Chaosium" brand) it's covered under original contract?  Or ... ?

TYVM !

That all greatly depends on the publication in question.

Hope that Helps,

Have you considered collating them into one volume? I’d love to have them in one or two nice hardbacks to go alongside my other Chaosium books. Having a bunch of individual copies at PoD quality doesn’t appeal. Of course, I appreciate there needs to be a demand to make it worthwhile. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

Have you considered collating them into one volume? I’d love to have them in one or two nice hardbacks to go alongside my other Chaosium books. Having a bunch of individual copies at PoD quality doesn’t appeal. Of course, I appreciate there needs to be a demand to make it worthwhile. 

I’ll buy that for a dollar!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

11 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

It would take too much time to get 600+ pages of material ready for top end printing based on the expected demand. These are cleaned up scans that will look great on screen. They are text searchable. We MIGHT do them as a two volume POD set, but that would be about it. Below is a sample page from Wyrms Footnotes 5.

Page 1 from Wyrms Footnotes 5.tif

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

On 9/4/2019 at 10:06 PM, Rick Meints said:

We are working on releasing all of Wyrms Footnotes 1-14 as individual PDFs soon, as in within the next month. We have 4 issues left to finish.

They will probably also be available as POD.

This is excellent news, especially the POD part. It would make filling out the collection easier and cheaper. 😁

On 9/4/2019 at 10:06 PM, Rick Meints said:

As for Tales of the Reaching Moon, stay tuned.

Tease!