Mythras Supers

Acatiaant

Will it be something that would allow super-characters being brought into regular Mythras games... creating something along the lines of Exalted?
I was never a huge reader of superhero comics but I did like some of the magic/mystic heroes, like Dr. Fate and John Constantine. So something letting me bring in Mythras' magic system could be excellent.

Edited by Simlasa

15 hours ago, Simlasa said:

Will it be something that would allow super-characters being brought into regular Mythras games... creating something along the lines of Exalted?
I was never a huge reader of superhero comics but I did like some of the magic/mystic heroes, like Dr. Fate and John Constantine. So something letting me bring in Mythras' magic system could be excellent.

'Destined' will be 100% Mythras-compatible, so yes, you'll be able to bring super-characters into regular Mythras games. And create Dr Strange-like sorcerers in 'Destined' usinf the Sorcery rules.

14 hours ago, Kijli said:

Will there be random power tables? I thought I heard them mention that in the podcast...

I don't believe so. There are about 40 Powers, and each is customisable with various Boosts and Limitations that you select for the power. But the plan isn't to have a Random Power Table as such.

• Like 4

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

On 10/3/2019 at 5:24 PM, Kijli said:

Will there be random power tables? I thought I heard them mention that in the podcast...

We did create a random powers table as part of our playtests. As someone who spent a lot of time with TSR's Marvel Super Heroes in my youth, I appreciate having something like that available when someone can't think of a concept for their hero, or for when you want to be surprised. There has been some discussion about possibly including it in the appendix if space allows, but we're focused on getting the game in the best shape we can right now so that is still a consideration for the future. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bilharzia said:

It's not clear from the podcast, but are power points to activate powers completely gone now?

Sort of but not quite.

Your primary powers are always On and don't require any Power Point expenditure to use. However, if you apply a Boost, you spend PP to do so. 

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

5 hours ago, Bilharzia said:

It's not clear from the podcast, but are power points to activate powers completely gone now?

i imagine it works just like Agony and Ecstasy. So, like with enhanced strength, your damage bonus gets the str+pow+siz thing in the one gift, but also increases your lift capacity to superhuman levels out of the gate. then, you can increase your lifting with power points

On 10/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, Raleel said:

i imagine it works just like Agony and Ecstasy. So, like with enhanced strength, your damage bonus gets the str+pow+siz thing in the one gift, but also increases your lift capacity to superhuman levels out of the gate. then, you can increase your lifting with power points

It does work pretty much the same way. Your Core Powers are always available as Loz said, so you can use them whenever you need to without paying a cost. As I said in the podcast, the idea was superheroes should always be super, so you can always fly, always shoot lasers from your eyes, etc. You also have Boosts that enhance the base power, but expend your power points to activate. They are special tricks you can't do all the time, but have available as long as you have Power Points to activate them. 

Limits restrict or modify the base power so it doesn't work in the normal way. So you could add a Limit that makes the base power cost Power Points to use, or the Games Master could make some Limits mandatory if he has a particular way he wants powers to work in the campaign. So if you wanted heroes that had powers that consumed a portion of their lifeforce or energy to activate, even the basic powers, you could say all heroes have the LImit that requires them to spend Power Points to use their abilities. That way you can customize the powers system as you like to make it fit your vision for the campaign.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 7:48 PM, Cross Planes said:

Are there any playtest opportunities?

We're still in the writing process right now, and doing some internal playtests. That is the focus at this time so that is really all I can say at this point. 

Edited by Timejockey

Hmmmmmmm ...

Just having some thoughts spark...  How easy would it be to re-skin this as the engine for a d100-driven Gamma World-alike, the gonzo post-apocalyptic science-fantasy game from the 70's?  Powers as mutations (and yes, with a random generator), etc...  Mutated plants, animals, & pseudoscience psi out the wazoo, madmax & bits of Clarketech, etc...

(Edit:  obviously, all that setting-specific stuff would have to BE re-skinned, it isn't just a slam-dunk; but does it seem like it'd be more a straightforward mechanical re-implentation, or would things need a fair bit of tweaking & re-interpretation?)

Edited by g33k
Typo
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, g33k said:

Hmmmmmmm ...

riJust having some thoughts spark...  How easy would it be to re-skin this as the engine for a d100-driven Gamma World-alike, the gonzo post-apocalyptic science-fantasy game from the 70's?  Powers as mutations (and yes, with a random generator), etc...  Mutated plants, animals, & pseudoscience psi out the wazoo, madmax & bits of Clarketech, etc...

(Edit:  obviously, all that setting-specific stuff would have to BE re-skinned, it isn't just a slam-dunk; but does it seem like it'd be more a straightforward mechanical re-implentation, or would things need a fair bit of tweaking & re-interpretation?)

You should probably check out Luther Arkwright. It already has random power generation, though the scale is a bit less than iron man or Thor. Also science fantasy-esque. Should be quite doable. 

6 hours ago, Raleel said:

You should probably check out Luther Arkwright. It already has random power generation, though the scale is a bit less than iron man or Thor. Also science fantasy-esque. Should be quite doable. 

I have LA already.

It's a misfit for GW in several ways, but could possibly be a significant piece of a Mythras-centric / FrankenBRP homebrew in a GWesque vein.

C'es ne pas un .sig