Clan Questionnaire for other cultures

The_Wombat

I love the Clan Questionnaire for HQG, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with such a document for other cultures?  I mean, it is excellent for Sartar and could certainly be easily extrapolated to Heortland and Tarsh, but what of Esrolia, Prax, or Balazar?

Has any of you fine folks seen such equivalents?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The_Wombat said:

I love the Clan Questionnaire for HQG, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with such a document for other cultures?

I did a modification for Heortland as the later entries need to be different (i.e. Belintar and after) as below. I've also done one for Nochet/Esrolia.

Heortland Questions 20-30

The Iron War

20. Renvald Meldekbane was a hero who led the war against the Machine God and the Clanking City.   When Renvald called the clans to war, we:

□ 1. Raised all our forces to fight, fought at the first  Battle of Alatier Crossing, and stayed for the Siege of the Clanking City.

□ 2. Sent as many men as we could spare, but no more.

□ 3. Waited to see what would happen, then followed King Androrfin when we were sure he would win.

□ 4. Neither helped nor hindered.

Answers:

1. Reduce your Wealth by one.  Add one check on the War Resource and one check on the Courage and Rebellious Virtues.

2. Add one check on the Morale Resource and one check on the Cautious and Rebellious Virtues.

3. Add one check on the Wealth Resource and one check on the Shrewd Virtue.

4. Add one check on the Peace Resource and one check on the Cautious Virtue.

21. In the Iron War and the Battle of Steelfall, we:

□ 1. Followed Renvald into the Clanking City, killed the Legion of Sorcerers, called forth the Thunderer, and were betrayed by the dwarfs.

□ 2. Followed Senharlmarth the Clever into the Clanking City for the Secret Plunder, sneaking into the depths of Zistorela and emerging with fabulous treasure.

□ 3. Followed Daranvanth the Larnsting who wandered far and wide to learn magical secrets that would aid his god and people against the Zistorites.

□ 4. Followed Beselbarn Greedy-Tooth, who was never personally defeated or even seriously hurt by the Zistorite defenders.

□ 5. Mustered in the Pride of King Androrfin, delivered the final victory at Steelfall, and came home with all his farmers.

□ 6. Did not participate for we followed Another Way.

Answers:

1.  Reduce your Wealth Resource by 1 check and add 2 checks to War Resource  and one check on the Vengeful Virtue.  Enemy: Dwarfs.

2. Add one check on the Wealth Resource and one check on the Shrewd Virtue. 

3. Add one check on the Magic Resource and one check on the Courage Virtue

4. Add one check on the Wealth Resource and one check on the Cautious Virtue.

5. Add one check on the Morale Resource and one check on the Proud Virtue.

6. Add one check on the Peace Resource and one check on the Piety and Cautious Virtues.

22. The Third Age: 

After the Dragonkill, your ancestors lived in Heortland. The Hendrikings ruled Heortland from the great fortress of Whitewall, themselves allies of Ezkankekko the Only Old One, a Darkness demigod who lived in a huge volcanic palace on the Shadow Plateau. Ezkankekko ruled with justice and

indifference, collected tribute, and kept the peace.  One day, 193 years after the Dragonkill (1313 S.T.), a man swam ashore and caused trouble in the land of Kethaela. Over the next five years he fomented war  and rebellion against Ezkankekko, rightful ruler since the Dawn of time. He made enemies, found new friends, woke Silver Age heroes, and finally overthrew the rulers and deities of the Shadowlands (1318 ST). Their conflict released cosmic powers, and the Obsidian Castle shattered, covering the verdant plateau with black dust. The usurper killed Ezkankekko, and thereafter called himself the God-King.  This God-King went throughout Kethaela and established his rule. When he came to the kingdom of the Hendrikings in Heortland, he used deceitful

magic to overcome the Hendrikings. He destroyed the ancient Hendriking tribe and Heortland became part of his own kingdom. Whoever could not change got their people together and moved.

How did your clan resist the God-King?

□ 1. Fought ceaselessly, no matter how many of us were killed.

□ 2. Fought the God-King when it was safe to do so.

□ 3. Pretended to go along with the God-King, and waited for a good time to rebel.

□ 4. We could not help ourselves; we were forced to follow him.

□ 5. We followed the God-King because he made new alliances with our Silver Age heroes.

Answers:

1. Reduce your Wealth Resource by 1 check and add one check on the War Resource and one check on the Courage and Rebellious Virtues.  Add 1 check to Hate: God-King.

2. Add one check on the Morale Resource and one check on the Cautious and Rebellious Virtues.

3. Add one check on the Wealth Resource and one check on the Shrewd Virtue

4. Add one check on the Peace Resource.

5. Add one check on the Magic Resource and one check on the Ambitious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Friend: God-King.

23. What lands did you settle or remain in?

Many folk left the Heortland and moved to the wild and dangerous lands of Dragon Pass.  Your ancestors did not and they took lands that were abandoned.  You settled in the best lands you could find and hold, and farmed and raised livestock as was appropriate for those lands.

What sort of lands did you settle or remain in?

□ 1. Hills and Highlands, good for herding sheep and defending against foes.

□ 2. River Bottoms, good for intensive farming.

□ 3. Flatlands, good for raising cattle and farming.

□ 4. Wildlands, only good for hunting.

Answers:

1. Add 1 check to War and 1 check to Morale. Your clan has the Sheep Herding ability.

2. Add 2 checks to Wealth. Your clan has the Intensive Farming ability.

3. Add 1 check to Peace and 1 check to Wealth. Your clan has the Livestock and Small Farming ability.

4. Your clan has a special Hunting Ability. Reduce your Wealth by 1 check and add 2 checks to War.  Enemy: Scorpionmen.

24. The New Confederations

As clans settled following the arrival of the God-King, some returned to their old ways, some began to fight one another, and some waited to revolt. Some were conquered, some received tribute from dozens of others, and some formed alliances. Amongst these were the Volsaxi tribe and they rebelled several times.

Did your clan join the Volsaxi?

□ 1. Yes, and we fought for the Kingdom at Whitewall.

□ 2. Yes, but we only paid tribute.

□ 3. No, no one can make us do anything.

□ 4. No, we remained allied with the God-King.

Answers:

1. Add 1 check to War and 1 check to the Rebellious and Courage Virtues.  Add 1 check to Hate: God-King.

2. Add 1 check to Morale and 1 check to the Cautious and Traditional Virtues.

3. Add 1 check to Peace and 1 check to Wealth and 1 check to the Traditional Virtue.

4. Add 1 check to Magic and 1 check to the Ambitious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Friend: God-King.

25. The Ancient Tribute

In 1460, Belintar enabled the Kitori tribe of the Troll Woods to impose an ancient tribute upon the kings of Whitewall that broke the power of the Volsaxi.

How did your clan respond to the Kitori?

□ 1. We fought against the tribute as long as we could.

□ 2. We could not fight further, but only paid tribute.

□ 3. We aided the Kitori as we had ancient pacts with the people of the dark.

□ 4. We remained allied with the God-King and gained great benefits.

Answers:

1. Reduce your Wealth Resource by 1 check and add one check on the War Resource and one check on the Rebellious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Hate: God-King and 1 check to Hate: Kitori.

2. Add 1 check to Morale and 1 check to the Cautious and Pious Virtues.  Add 1 check to Hate: Kitori.

3. Add 1 check to Magic and 1 check to the Shrewd Virtue.  Add 1 check to Friend: Kitori.

4. Add 1 check to Peace and 1 check to Wealth and 1 check to the Ambitious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Friend: God-King.

26. Tarkalor and the Defeat of the Kitori

Prince Tarkalor of Sartar engaged in war against the Kitori. He was particularly aided by the worshippers of Yelmalio, a god who was loathed and feared by the darkness forces. Tarkalor caught the chiefs of the Kitori one day, even though they were in their own stronghold. They resisted, and Tarkalor and the Yelmalios wiped them out. Then Tarkalor gave great tracts to the temple, and also established unmoderated trade with the Volsaxi.

How did your clan respond to Tarkalor's War?

□ 1. We rose against the Kitori to reclaim our ancient heritage and join the Volsaxi.

□ 2. We stopped paying tribute when it was safe to do so.

□ 3. We fought against the Sartarites as they were raiding our lands.

□ 4. We withdrew to our steads - no one can make us do anything.

□ 5. We remained allied with the God-King but avoided the fight.

□ 6. We fought with the Kitori against the invaders.

Answers:

1. Add 1 check to War and 1 check to Morale and one check on the Rebellious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Hate: Kitori. 

2. Add 1 check to Morale and 1 check to Peace and one check to the Cautious and Shrewd Virtues.

3. Reduce Wealth by 1 and add 1 check to War and one check to the Proud and Traditionalist Virtues. 

4. Add 1 check to Peace and 1 check to Wealth and one check to the Pious Virtue.

5. Add 1 check to Wealth and 1 check to Magic and one check to the Ambitious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Friend: God-King.

6. Reduce Wealth by 1 and add 1 check to Morale and one check to the Honor Virtue.  Add 1 check to Friend: Kitori.

27. The Lunar Way

Men and women in red robes came and for the first time people in Heortland learned about the Lunar Goddess. The Red Moon had risen in 1247, a bad omen that surprised and frightened the Heortlings. Everyone became uncomfortable when they learned that the red missionaries worshipped the

red thing in the sky, for all the Heortland prophecies warned that the Red Moon was a foe. Nonetheless, the Red Goddess’ missionaries came through Heortland, seeking converts to her way.

How did you react when the Lunar missionaries came to your clan?

□ 1. We killed them.

□ 2. We captured and ransomed them.

□ 3. We drove them off, or at least refused to let them enter our steads.

□ 4. We gave them hospitality.

□ 5. We welcomed them, and listened to their interesting new doctrines.

Answers:

1. Add three checks on Hate: Lunars, a check on the War Resource, the

Traditionalist, and Vengeful Virtues.

2. Add two checks on Hate: Lunars, a check on the Wealth Resource, and the Traditionalist Virtue.

3. Add a check on Hate: Lunars and on the Cautious Virtue.

4. Add a check on the Hospitality Virtue.

5. Add a check on Friend: Lunars and on the Ambitious Virtue.

28. Lunar Empire Attacks

The Lunar Empire conquered Sartar and then attempted to invade the Holy Country of the God-King. 

Did you send aid to the God-King against the Lunar Empire?

□ 1. Sent as many men as we could spare, but no more.

□ 2. We raided the Lunars we found in the Sartarite lands.

□ 3. We raided the Sartarites on our borders while the Lunar Empire was elsewhere.

□ 4. Neither helped nor hindered.

Answers:

1. Add 1 check to War and 1 check to Morale and one check on the Pious Virtue.  Add 1 check to Hate: Lunars and 1 to Friend: God-King. 

2. Add 1 check to Morale and one check to the Ambitious and Shrewd Virtues.

3. Add 1 check to Wealth and one check to the Proud and Traditionalist Virtues. 

4. Add 1 check to Peace and 1 check to Wealth and one check to the Cautious Virtue.

29. God-King disappears

In 1616, Belintar the God-King disappears during the Tournament of the Masters of Luck and Death.  The magics holding the Holy Country begin to fray.

How did you respond to the God-King's Disappearance?

□ 1. We celebrated and prepared for war.

□ 2. We rejoiced and went back to our duties.

□ 3. We didn't care.

□ 4. We were dismayed, prayed for aid, and looked for a new leader.

Answers:

1. Add a check in the Rebellious Virtue.

2. Add a check in the Cautious Virtue.

3. Add a check in the Wealth Resource

4. Reduce the Morale Resource by 1.  Add a check in the Pious Virtue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have created several for the different peoples of Pent on my blog 'A land fit for heroes and their horses', several for the Uz (by region) although not yet typed up, and am working on ones for a forthcoming blog concerning Chern Durel, much delayed by illness and work.  I have created versions for Dara Happa and the Lunar Heartlands, but am far from satisfied with them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:54 PM, Ali the Helering said:

I have created several for the different peoples of Pent on my blog 'A land fit for heroes and their horses', several for the Uz (by region) although not yet typed up, and am working on ones for a forthcoming blog concerning Chern Durel, much delayed by illness and work.  I have created versions for Dara Happa and the Lunar Heartlands, but am far from satisfied with them!

How did they end up? Or maybe I should ask, what are the parts you're not satisfied with?

(Not that I think I can help you but I'm still curious as I consider Clan Questionnaires for more culturs something that should exist.

Edited by None

As I said, I have been VERY ill (mildly dead for 20 minutes) and my memory sometimes needs jogging. I also created lots of 'Orlanthi All' variants for the older questionnaire, and some based around the old ILH books. 

The more varied the world, the better! 

What I am unsatisfied with is the way of indicating the preferred deities from the many pantheons available. 

When you consider the non-Plentonian, Plentonian, Draconic, Spolite/Umbarite, Old Lights, purely Raibanthi, purely Yuthuppan, purely Alkothi, Nysalorian, Lodrilli, Lunar, etc etc etc inputs, it is a tad complex! 

However, if you would be interested I shall find a way to make it available, with a little help from my technical advisor. 🤪

Edited by Ali the Helering
Stupidity
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

As I said, I have been VERY ill (mildly dead for 20 minutes) and my memory sometimes needs jogging.

Ouch.

20 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

What I am unsatisfied with is the way of indicating the preferred deities from the many pantheons available. 

When you consider the non-Plentonian, Plentonian, Draconic, Spolite/Umbarite, Old Lights, purely Raibanthi, purely Yuthuppan, purely Alkothi, Nysalorian, Lodrilli, Lunar, etc etc etc inputs, it is a tad complex! 

However, if you would be interested I shall find a way to make it available, with a little help from my technical advisor.

One way way to get over all the problems in the questionares would be to see if there's more people that tried to creat clan questionares  (or why limit yourself to clans, I doupt all cultures organize themselves in clans the same way, or at all. In the end you'd probably end up with something resembling clan/family/house creation questionares).

That sounds  like a massive undertanking if you want to be throughout and would probably benefit greatly from getting more people involved.

(Of course, it also sounds time consuming, I know I don't have the time or knowledge nessecary for that or I would have tred at home already.)

3 hours ago, None said:

One way way to get over all the problems in the questionares would be to see if there's more people that tried to creat clan questionares  (or why limit yourself to clans, I doupt all cultures organize themselves in clans the same way, or at all. In the end you'd probably end up with something resembling clan/family/house creation questionares).

That sounds  like a massive undertanking if you want to be throughout and would probably benefit greatly from getting more people involved.

(Of course, it also sounds time consuming, I know I don't have the time or knowledge nessecary for that or I would have tred at home already.)

Oh yeah, I was not wishing to claim either completeness or authority!  I just enjoy generating entire regions for my own amusement (and my wife's occasional despair), and am happy to share:D

• Like 1

The clan questionnaire ( https://www.glorantha.com/site-apps/clan/sartar.html and https://www.glorantha.com/site-apps/clan/pavis.html ) separates the question data from the 'engine'.

Which means that if you know a very little JavaScript programming (actually, pretty much any programming) and some HTML, you should be able to create new online questionnaires.

Edited by Charles
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 4:43 PM, Charles said:

The clan questionnaire ( https://www.glorantha.com/site-apps/clan/sartar.html and https://www.glorantha.com/site-apps/clan/pavis.html ) separates the question data from the 'engine'.

Which means that if you know a very little JavaScript programming (actually, pretty much any programming) and some HTML, you should be able to create new online questionnaires.

On 12/3/2019 at 4:43 PM, Charles said:

should be able to create new online questionnaires.

Something like than would be really useful and greatly open up the possibilities of playing as something more than the Orlanthi. I think the really time consuming and difficult part would be creating the actual questionnaires themselves though, not the online pages (not that I'd know, my ability at programming is pretty pathetic, that is to say nonexistent.)

On 12/2/2019 at 10:48 PM, JonL said:

I started work on an Arkati Secret Society questionnaire for Safelster back on Google+. I think I should have that post in a zip file or something...

Yeah, that too, Secret Society questionnaires and the like are also a great idea. No need to limit yourself to clans and families.

Edited by None

On 12/2/2019 at 10:48 PM, JonL said:

I started work on an Arkati Secret Society questionnaire for Safelster back on Google+. I think I should have that post in a zip file or something...

I *love* so see that if you manage to dig it up and feel like sharing. I'm so interested in that part of Glorantha, it's definitely my favourite place.

16 hours ago, Bohemond said:

What does one do for a clan like the Hillhaven, who worship spirits more than gods? 

Add to some of the options, or select specific choices, like the following:

Which treasure did Asrelia give your people? 3. The Soul Mirror.

Your earliest Famous Event was: 12. When Chalk Man taught them how to gamble.

Who is your clan’s Ancient Enemy? 11. Ukkar Gra, King of the Basmoli Beastmen [see alternate options from KoDP: https://kingofdragonpass.fandom.com/wiki/Clan_Creation ]

How did your clan survive the Great Darkness? 5. Our ancient kin walked beside us and alerted us to dangers and foes.

What deity did your clan help awaken? 1. None. Our ancestors were good enough. or 7. None. We retained worship of the Living Deity who is Kolat, the Spirit Wind.

What lesson did your clan draw from the Dragonkill? 8. Our ancestors knew better than to follow the ways of dragons or gods.

Why did you leave your homeland? 7. Our ancient ancestors called us home.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...