Gifts and starting Loyalty

Brootse

4 hours ago, Kloster said:

It has been used that way by real world government and powers. I don't see why it can't be the same in Glorantha.

I will note that money was created by one of Issaries sons, in a divine act.  In Glorantha it is (at least in part) a Holy thing, and blessed by Issaries himself.  Money exists, cosmically, to foster exchange, and a context of peace (note for reference - Market / Great Market spells (not even the pacifistic Chalana Arroy has such magic)).

I would wonder if anyone who "perverted" money in this way -- to foster war, to destabilize -- might not incur all sorts of cosmic unpleasantness...

YGWV

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 12/4/2019 at 5:30 PM, Atgxtg said:

Now I'm getting confused. If a character shells out a lot of lunars to a temple does he now feel an obligation to that temple? I don't just mean the faith, but also to the orgnaization that is that particular temple?

Yes, of course, why wouldn't he? We are not talking about the standard 10% or 90% tithe here, we are talking about making an extra donation.

Don't forget that Gloranthan Temples are not part of some Glorantha-wide umbrella organisation, instead each and every Temple is independent. The high priest holds the money for the Temple and funds the Temple. One Orlanth temple might be poor, but the High priest couldn't just go to the next Orlanth temple and ask for a handout. 

If I give a big donation to a particular Temple, then I am backing that particular Temple, those Priests and, in particular, that High Priest.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:10 PM, Atgxtg said:

Except you'r buying their loyalty to you, not your loyalty to them.

It's both. You are making a financial contribution to their loyalty, so you are investing into that bond.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, g33k said:

I will note that money was created by one of Issaries sons, in a divine act.  In Glorantha it is (at least in part) a Holy thing, and blessed by Issaries himself.  Money exists, cosmically, to foster exchange, and a context of peace (note for reference - Market / Great Market spells (not even the pacifistic Chalana Arroy has such magic)).

Once saw a thread on Wheels (the gold coins invented by the Goldwheel Dancers?) being magical and requiring magic to create. Also a few intriguing references to such in modules of the day. Long time ago, so I am a little hazy, though I note that there are rumours of gold coin producing magical artefacts scattered here and there . No need to ‘splain me where and what they are. I am just avoiding the need for spoilers by being vague here.

So is this still canon, gold coins either being magical, created by magic or of a magical pedigree greater than their relationship with the Dancers? Or has Bill been dipping to long into the pharmaceutical bag?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 hours ago, g33k said:

I would wonder if anyone who "perverted" money in this way -- to foster war, to destabilize -- might not incur all sorts of cosmic unpleasantness...

Or is willing some cosmic unpleasantness themselves into being, perhaps?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
ETA themselves

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 12/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, Atgxtg said:

Now I'm getting confused. If a character shells out a lot of lunars to a temple does he now feel an obligation to that temple? I don't just mean the faith, but also to the orgnaization that is that particular temple?

Maybe it's a case of "now that that temple wing has my name on it, I probably had better make sure that that enemy leaves that wing standing. And possibly the rest of that temple, too..."

Telling how it is excessive verbis