BRP vs Cthulhu

Lloyd Dupont

5 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Is the horror RPG that much of an asset over plain generic game rules?

Yes.

Generic systems are ten a penny these days and it's hard to demonstrate that one has much of an advantage over another unless you play and compare. On the other hand, a setting or strong theme is something that potential players can be interested by without needing to know anything at all about the rules.

The current Chaosium management has made no mistery that they do not believe in generic systems. Though the latest developments seem to imply that they may have partially revised this policy. In any case, their other focus beyond Cthulhu has always been RuneQuest rather than the generic version of the rules. RQ is genericizable as a fantasy game, but they have preferred to highlight its integration with Glorantha rather than its adaptability to many game world. Which IMO is not a bad idea, as decades of RQ play have shown me that the Chaosium version of the game shines when used for high fantasy settings like Glorantha.

And of course I must admit that even if I really like the concept of having a generic core book for people to use for adapting the game to their setting, in the end even I have had to prioritize the other approach, that is having a strong, attractive licensed franchise and packaging a customized version of the rules with it.

So yes, a strong setting is a big asset.

• Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

8 hours ago, Mugen said:

In France, CoC is so synonymous with BRP that many people think they share the same problems, such as the fact characteristics have very little impact on the game.

A feature, not a bug!

12 hours ago, BigJackBrass said:

On the other hand, a setting or strong theme is something that potential players can be interested by without needing to know anything at all about the rules.

a) Isn't that how most players (as opposed to GMs) play roleplaying games?
b) I own a number of GURPS setting books, but have never, ever read a copy of the GURPS rules, much less owned them.  Well, okay, I think I skimmed GURPS-lite once.

Paired with my flippant response to Mugen above, this kind of gets to the heart of how, with the exception of combat resolution, most gaming experiences play out.  The players are petitioners to the court, and the GM is judge; one party needs to know how to present a case, the other needs to know how to decide it.  Setting is what brings the case to court, every time.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

2 hours ago, g33k said:

btw -- to respond to the title of the thread:  Cthulhu wins.  He doesn't take ANY damage, no even if you hit him with the hardcover copy of BRP !!!

He... No, IT is too powerful! :O..... Oooooo.... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g33k said:

btw -- to respond to the title of the thread:  Cthulhu wins.  He doesn't take ANY damage, no even if you hit him with the hardcover copy of BRP !!!

This is the main reason I turn to the Guide to Glorantha for my Great Old One smiting problems. With Cthulhu I recommend wielding the two volume set and the free Turnip Twaddler with optional Idiots Guide to Insanity as well.

Good Luck (you will need it)

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I think, from what I read and some small reflection, that a successful RPG need some literary base that serve as a common inspiration for player and GM alike, in both, 1. wanting them to play that style, 2. give them common expectation

Witness so many RPG mushrooming around labelled after "something" RPG (Witcher RPG, Dragon Age RPG, etc...) ...

So, yeah, I can see that "Generic RPG" doesn't cut it as much....
I guess I am missing Master of Orion RPG and I gotta do it meself! 😕 

I wonder if an adventure RPG Wiki would help.. is there such a thing?

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

This is the main reason I turn to the Guide to Glorantha for my Great Old One smiting problems. With Cthulhu I recommend wielding the two volume set and the free Turnip Twaddler with optional Idiots Guide to Insanity as well.

Good Luck (you will need it)

But what if.... I use both volumes AND an increase damage 8 enchantment?! 😮  :P 

• Like 1

Just now, Lloyd Dupont said:

But what if.... I use both volumes AND an increase damage 8 enchantment?! 😮  :P 

That just adds to the immediacy with which you experience the unspeakable other-ness that is Dread Cthulhu:   You take the Increased Damage directly as extra SAN loss.

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

21 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I am a little sad how Cthulhu is overshadowing BRP by a large margin... (and hey, they are both from the same company!)
Is the horror RPG that much of an asset over plain generic game rules?
I wonder if a good scifi setting could help?
As, for example, I found Cthulhu's dream world quite interesting...

Cthulhu has, for whatever reason, become something of a pop-culture meme & trope.  I blame Chaosium for this, in large part...  😉

Chaosium has the original CoC game.  That means they have the game that people pursuing "Cthulhu" games will first encounter as a RPG, much the way people directly pursuing "RPG's" generally first encounter D&D, and people pursuing "Vampire" games will first encounter some iteration of the World/Chronicles of Dimness.

C'es ne pas un .sig