Setting and occupation conundrums

Lloyd Dupont

39 minutes ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I thought about it this sleepness night... Ansible tech might be required for realistic for multistellar empire success (particularly when warp speed is limited, so far, to only about 100 lightspeed)

100 for "regular" ships, 300 for military, you said?  (This does beg the question of units:  300 what per what?  Lighyears per year?  Parsecs per day?  Furlongs per fortnight?)  This puts some limits on the extent of direct control, but maybe not all that much, depending on the units, and on the density of usable & desirable planets & other resources.

Bear with me, now... I'm going to delve back into that medieval/feudal bit you don't like... but I have good reason, I promise!  I'm really NOT trying to push this stuff.

That speed/distance issue, which limits extent of direct rule, is one of the reasons that storytellers slip so often into those old-fashioned societies -- the vast reaches of space, and travel-times, mean that one can ONLY have a big empire when one goes through a series of delegations to local sub-nations, e.g.  Emperors --> Dukes --> Counts --> Barons, or similar (with absolute command, including life-or-death decisions, within their own subdomains; and likely, hereditary rule...).  Feudal courts, feudal duels... swords... It leads one naturally to ideas of older technologies, where such older feudal governances and "courtly" habits held sway.

(Mostly, I just want this clear as the common narrative trope that it is; and to point out that if you have none-of-this-medieval-stuff, you probably want to make that clear to your players up-front -- nobody is using a sword in this setting!  It's not just bringing a knife to a gunfight, it's bringing a phalanx to a panzerblitz, or viking longboats to a modern combined air/sea action).

Ansible tech helps the central authority maintain control; but for real control the Empire must still be the primary source of military might, with lesser nobles only having minor police-forces & the like.  Again, it pushes the idea that the high tech is reserved for the Imperial forces, and everyone else is kept intentionally backwards.   Even then, of course a powerful Imperial military officer has been known to march on his own capitol and usurp the imperial throne!

But the ansible is also a direct threat to that direct control:  it's easy enough for the science behind the high-tech to slip out to the remote reaches, and for those distant baronies to build up their own forces, perhaps for the local Imperial Navy to defect and form the core of a new kingdom... too distant (and quickly bootstrapping to Imperial-tech parity) to be practical to re-conquer.  These sorts of breakaway empires are also a well-known historical fact.

Unless you keep those baronies very-backward indeed, so they CANNOT bootstrap far enough, before the main Imperial Navy arrives to quash them (cue the feudalisms and medievalisms again... damn things are like WEEDS I tell ya!)

That's one way you can justify such obsolete tech's... if you want to.

===

You've clearly stated that you DON'T want to, which is fine.  In fact, I mostly agree with you -- high tech generally tends to supersede and replace lower tech (mostly, I think I'm a bigger believer in Murphy than you -- I'm expecting things to go wrong; hence, Lost Colonies, abandoned prison-planets, etc etc etc).

HOWEVER, I would respectfully suggest you should consider how and why those factors -- that might push toward such "medievalisms" and impoverished-world settings -- do NOT come into play in your own setting!  Or how (when they do come into play) they lead to OTHER results than such "backwards" tropes.  Gross impoverishment seems a likely outcome, to me.

Offhand, I'm really liking the ubiquitous use of ansible as a key factor.  If the ansible itself is outside of Imperial rule... if that tech is so widely-known and simple to implement, that it cannot be quashed... then other technologies, inevitably, will permeate everywhere the ansible does.  Yeah, sure -- new inventions will stay under single-actor control for a while.  But eventually they will slip out.  This in turn leads to the inevitable spread of high-tech everywhere the ansible goes (and as noted above, the ansible is important for those central authorities to exert command, so the ansible goes everywhere).

===

So the tech is everywhere; it's a high-tech galaxy (or maybe just our part of a spiral arm).

Now a question -- if everyone has tech, how do your "Bulrathi" bullies maintain their dominance?  Why don't people tell them to F--- Off, the same as they tell any other EvilEmpire(tm)?  Off the top of my head, it'd probably some New Invention that hasn't yet leaked.  They are leveraging their Bigger BFG, or their Impenetrable Shield, or whatever -- and keeping the tech behind it as secret as they can.

Another question, or maybe more than one -- if you have some High Tech Races (a) how are they keeping their OWN tech out of general circulation? & (b) why didn't they become the EvilOverlords(tm), beating the Bulrathi to the punch?  Are they just pseudo-angels, Clarke-tech having led them to enlightenment?  Is there some tech-singularity they see coming, and they are just ... less interested in all these silly FTL-drives and Impenetrable Shields and similarly useless childrens' toys?  Or...?

===

Honestly, I *am* trying to help.  If it seems like I'm "trolling" you, it's just that I'm trying to get you to look at some unexamined assumptions, or the same idea from a different angle.

Expect your players to do the same -- mine always do so, to me!

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

This last post of your seems more relevant! :P

I will have 3 answers....

First, what I was really wondering (and to show how it differs from the answer so far):
Ok, say the player are private detective, or insurance investigator or something like that, and my initials games center around some shop being vandalised or shop owner being assassinated, what kind of (scifi hitech) setting would allow the player instead of the police be the one to investigate?
And I am not talking about some rare occurrence, I am thinking of this to be a common occurrence.. what would this society look like and still be a believable scifi society?

Now to react to your comments:
- how come every scientific breakthrough is not know everywhere? just like today! USA have their own secret war machine, yet they even sell them! And most country know the secret of building a car, a TV, a computer....
- How come population doesn't revolt? Population on Bulrathi's empire planet is mostly Bulrathi clone, they have as much reason to revolt that the poor have to revolt against the rich.. Other alien races are minority... Bulrathi colonist and military relocate people to maintain an even mix of alien race on their planets (they don't genocide) and submerge them in larger Bulrathi clone population
- How come planetary ruler (or consularis, as I call them) don't revolt? Well if one planet revolt on its own it will get the whole empire's army on its doorstep next month... One could ask why hasn't Ireland successfully separated from UK yet? But yes clearly the slow speed of travel was an issue for efficient empire control...  (the Empire is no more, so it'd different "today")

Finally, in true Master of Orion fashion, one's empire invade planets, to get a bigger population, to do more research and development. So the name of the game is not suppression of knowledge, but its exact opposite.
Now, it seems to me you challenge the basic assumption of Master of Orion as potentially unrealistic... And suppression should be the game, you say.
It's an interestingly shocking thought... (One I will have to think more about it....)
But for now, I think there is a fair reason for Master of Orion heavy development to be the main politic. This (former) Bulrathi Empire is not alone, it has competing alien empires to contend with, and it needs to keep up to keep its own independence...
And, btw, now that it is broken apart, competitor are coming....

If you don't know Master of Orion, perhaps you know Civilisation?
It would be like playing Civilisation and invading many cities just to destroy all the building inside it and constructing nothing afterwards.... It wouldn't be a successful empire building strategy...

But hey, one can argue that the real word is not so heavy development oriented that Civilisation and Master of Orion, so perhaps this whole approach is wrong. Ultimately it could be a pure literary choice and both approach might perhaps be realistic outcome. But I already chose my outcome. Save for the nagging question at the top.... "what kind of, preferably developed and dystopian yet successful scifi, society would rely on private investigator for solving many of its crime"?

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

3 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

But I am really not interested in many of the answer so far...
I guess we might be just fighting human desire to get the last word at this stage and I should just accept defeat...

I've have had to do likewise myself a few times. When in BRP Central and asking for opinions there is no tap to stop the flow of some information and increase the flow of others. But, I guess one gets what one pays for.

If you discover a way to make info flow in a better way, let me know, eh.

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, g33k said:

FTL drive is its own form of unbelievable; ansible is another.  There is very little truely hard sci-fi (not NONE... but very little!)

😉

Many 'hard' sci fi writers and game designers have given up on FTL drive plausibility and now focus on intra-universe wormholes (plausible) naturally occurring but usually technologically augmented so as to be permanent and large enough to transport a spaceship containing live beings. Sometimes this technology is invented by humans and sometimes by handwavium ancient alien civilisations. Dan Simmons' Hyperion books has those portals so common that you can have your living room in a different part of the galaxy to your kitchen (though that has bad consequences in the books). I can think of at least two game sci-fi settings where oldskool generation ships and portal-using ships meet up after thousands of years.

The ansible device is somewhat plausible with known science for interstellar communication only (not transport) because of the entanglement principle, the 'spooky action at a distance' which even Einstein didn't want to believe. And we have teleportation of photons now. If you can imagine scaling up technology to control spontaneously formed wormholes between points then you can probably also envisage scaling up teleporting photons to more complex information and even atomic and more macro structures.

In Charles Stross' Accelerando, some humans encode their personalities into a box the size of a slab of coke and accelerate it via high powered laser beam from one of the outer system planets so that it can get to a nearby star. Their encoded personalities have various interactions with the AI culture they find there. I guess that's not what you're after (the transhuman AI-only interaction with the rest of the galaxy).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Questbird said:

Many 'hard' sci fi writers and game designers have given up on FTL drive plausibility and now focus on intra-universe wormholes (plausible) naturally occurring but usually technologically augmented so as to be permanent and large enough to transport a spaceship containing live beings. Sometimes this technology is invented by humans and sometimes by handwavium ancient alien civilisations. Dan Simmons' Hyperion books has those portals so common that you can have your living room in a different part of the galaxy to your kitchen (though that has bad consequences in the books). I can think of at least two game sci-fi settings where oldskool generation ships and portal-using ships meet up after thousands of years.

The ansible device is somewhat plausible with known science for interstellar communication only (not transport) because of the entanglement principle, the 'spooky action at a distance' which even Einstein didn't want to believe. And we have teleportation of photons now. If you can imagine scaling up technology to control spontaneously formed wormholes between points then you can probably also envisage scaling up teleporting photons to more complex information and even atomic and more macro structures.

In Charles Stross' Accelerando, some humans encode their personalities into a box the size of a slab of coke and accelerate it via high powered laser beam from one of the outer system planets so that it can get to a nearby star. Their encoded personalities have various interactions with the AI culture they find there. I guess that's not what you're after (the transhuman AI-only interaction with the rest of the galaxy).

A quick search on the internet shows that warp drive als Star Trek is theoretically possible. You just have to make sure that you don't fall for the confusion like the rest of the internet has by calling the impossible drive warp drive, they are two completely different things.

It has also been theorized that the quantum entertainment principle like Einstein was talking about could be used to make a communications system that would allow you to talk to some one on the other side of the universe, without any delays or garbleing.

Cool stuff really.

Edited by Old Man Henerson
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

It has also been theorized that the quantum entertainment principle like Einstein was talking about could be used to make a communications system that would allow you to talk to some one on the other side of the universe, without any delays or garbleing.

My good sir where can i purchase one of those shiny new looking thing with all the buttons and channels and chrome and auxiliary plugins.... what did you call it? The “quantum entertainment system" was it... Can it do wi-fi as well as phonograph albums and ol’ skool tv?

• Haha 2

Since that seems to excite people, here are the technologies I am considering in my settings...

Roughly like today +

- slightly better AI. Can hold a conversation but is not creative or independent and similar material science
- (plausible) Alcubierre - Van Der Broeck drive - (aka FTL "drive")
- (plausible) entangled box for Ansible like point to point communication (finite communication capacity, fine for a spaceshiph, but must be refreshed continuously for planets)
- (pure fantasy) repulsor field that let you do various things such as forcefield, impulseless drive, floating car, artificial gravity, tractor beam
- (plausible) small fusion plant (olympic pool sized)
- (mostly fantasy) teleporter
- (pure fantasy) psionic powers (teleportation, short term premonition, mind control, telepathy, remote vision)
- (plausible)cloning and human augmentation
- (plausible)extra long healthy life
- (fantasy)Blaster gun (a bubble of plasma surrounded by a bubble of repulsor field) , disintegrator gun
- (plausible)much better battery and biofuel (algae source)

As a side note. car would look pretty much the same (electric with wheel), hover bike might be seen in city, outside of cities I might have more flying machines... But they are forbidden in city due to risks concern....

Long life will cause some sort of migratory pressure..

People don't go on hostile resourceless and hostile planet... unless there is money to be made

Many settled planet have terraformation effort... and protection domes around city, particularly on hostile planets...

Typical work would be much like today + researcher...

I have to write my idea on typical trade and biome but.. I haven't written it yet and it's going to be long....

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

2 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

This last post of your seems more relevant! :P

I will have 3 answers....

First, what I was really wondering (and to show how it differs from the answer so far):
Ok, say the player are private detective, or insurance investigator or something like that, and my initials games center around some shop being vandalised or shop owner being assassinated, what kind of (scifi hitech) setting would allow the player instead of the police be the one to investigate?
And I am not talking about some rare occurrence, I am thinking of this to be a common occurrence.. what would this society look like and still be a believable scifi society?

But hey, one can argue that the real word is not so heavy development oriented that Civilisation and Master of Orion, so perhaps this whole approach is wrong. Ultimately it could be a pure literary choice and both approach might perhaps be realistic outcome. But I already chose my outcome. Save for the nagging question at the top.... "what kind of, preferably developed and dystopian yet successful scifi, society would rely on private investigator for solving many of its crime"?

So your Bulrathi overlords are mostly peaceful. They have established their Pax Bulratha* across their ruled systems. Their systems are comprised of many races, living under the same controls if not necessarily cheek by jowl with other races. The Bulrathi are technologically superior and have military might. There is no point in rebellion.

The control exerted by the Bulrathi on their minions may be slight:

1. Pay your taxes/tribute/DNA samples/work allocation duties to the Empire
  2. Don't cause Trouble (Obey your overlords):
    1. don't kill Bulrathi
    2. don't stop anyone else from obeying the other rules
  3. (maybe) Don't travel beyond your colony/Bulrathi space/an arbitrary limit in space

Other than these, the Bulrathi don't particularly care about local laws or government. In return for obeying these strictures, planets are given access to Bulrathi technology and generally allowed to get on with their lives. The Bulrathi masters don't care how sub-species regulate themselves as long as the strictures are met. But of course the governed species will care; they will want to enforce their own cultural practices or laws. So at the very least you will get species or regional-specific factions springing up to do just that. So your investigative agency can come from there, a not-quite governmental sub-group. It's in their interest to solve the local problems without getting in the way of the interstellar government rules (principally #1). And such an organisation doesn't need to be an ethical one like the IPCC or EPS either.

Maybe the Bulrathi are particularly ruthless when it comes to enforcing those simple rules of empire, to deter future offenders. Maybe their 'legal' system is impossible to understand for their underlings, but its outcomes are all-too similar for the 'punished'. Either way, having a local organisation to investigate local crimes is likely to be useful to both a planet or culture and the interstellar government, because it helps to contain dissent and Trouble (rule #2).

* Of course I am referencing Earth's Roman Empire, which was multicultural, technologically and militarily advanced for the time and generally prosperous (if at the expense of surrounding cultures) until rot set in from within. Particularly the Roman's non-interference in religion until the Christians came along and demanded exclusivity. Also the Romans were particularly punitive of rebels, who would be destroyed without mercy and their lands salted to discourage such activity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Comments on point Questbird :) 
More to the point, and I am paraphrasing here "the Bulrathi administration encourage numerous semi official agencies to solve local problems". I think this is a very promising and believable lead for endless plots! :) 

If your PC's are moving from one star-system to another, they could experience VERY different "local" agencies...  Some of which might be far more problematic to deal with than the "EvilOverlord" Bulrathi, particularly hands-off Bulrathi.

But also, as you've described the Bulrathi as a "kleptocracy" I presume there's a fair bit of them just "taking" stuff; i.e. in a dispute over property, the Bulrathi just "resolve" the issue by taking the disputed property away from both parties.  When the Bulrathi find they need to be active in a system (because there's a problem with administration of the laws) they tend to "resolve" the issue by taking more and more stuff until the locals settle down.  Etc.

And there could be very-different local Bulrathi individuals actually enacting the "EvilOverlord" kleptocratic policies.  Some may be more-avaricious, and find it "necessary" more often, to be active in these ways.  Others may be busier with internal-Bulrathi political maneuvering, or just enjoying the fruits of prior confiscations, etc.

Finally, of course, one of the things about Kleptocratic rule, is sometimes they push the peons into desperation...  "We were just trying to investigate some insurance fraud, when these MANIACS came pouring out of the asteroids in WARSHIPS, and attacked the Bulrathi Governor's Fleet!!!"

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

My good sir where can i purchase one of those shiny new looking thing with all the buttons and channels and chrome and auxiliary plugins.... what did you call it? The “quantum entertainment system" was it... Can it do wi-fi as well as phonograph albums and ol’ skool tv?

An ACME sales representative will be with you shortly... In the meantime, can we interest you in some classic red rockets and anvils? :D

• Haha 3

Re:  uneven technological levels

John Carter and Flash Gordon use swords in space because of the Rule of Cool.  Hard to swashbuckle without one.  But there are practical reasons why a sci-fi setting might have varying types of gear.  I mean, on our modern Earth we still have stone age and medieval people groups living on a planet with high speed air travel, global communications, cars and computers.  And the best way to reach the floor of the Grand Canyon is still a sure-footed donkey.  Affordable and portable gadgets (e.g., cell phones) make it to remote locations where you might not expect them, but not everyone can afford a personal drone, F-35 or ballistic missile.  Historically, Edison, Ford, Bell, et. al., were inventing our modern electronic goodies in New York while cowboys and Indians were still duking it out in Oklahoma.

All the latest high-tech goodies aren't evenly distributed across the galaxy (or 21st century Earth) because:

1)  Various cultures don't develop technology at the same rate.  Some groups have smarter people or more resources than others.  Or maybe they just got lucky.  If this is true on one planet, how much more so as people spread out to multiple planets?

2)  The locals missed out on the distribution chain.  Either because of their remote location or because of the political or economic quirks of transportation and trade, they're last on the route to get the fancy gear.

3)  The latest goodies are just too expensive.  The average Joe on Planet X can't afford them.

4)  The technology in question, particularly if it has potential military applications, is restricted by the planet or group that developed it.  Whether to protect national security or trade secrets, the holders of better tools want to keep them to themselves.  In "The Prisoner of Zenda," the villain had access to pre-WW 1 guns but armed his retainers with medieval melee weapons because he didn't want firearms turned against him during a time of political instability.

5)  Older tech is more reliable.  If it ain't broke, don't upgrade it.  Low tech may be cheaper and easier to produce,  Or perhaps it is the simplest and easiest solution for the problem or environment at hand.  After all, we're still using mountains of pencils in the age of smart pads.

6)  Galactic civilization is just now recovering from societal collapse.  Sci-fi empires are typically huge and old and have gone through cycles of rapid expansion and dramatic setbacks.  Sometimes there have been multiple previous galactic governments overthrown by civil unrest, alien invasion, disease, scientific overreach, or loss of resources.  The latest would-be overlords have become stable and wealthy enough to attempt to "restore order" to former imperial members and colonies, who may have regressed socially and technologically in the interim.  After all, some advanced  technologies may require massive economies of scale to develop and maintain.  And there's no guarantee that the current conquerors are as technologically sophisticated as their predecessors.  Maybe tools left over from the last empire are essentially D&D magic items that can't be reproduced with current knowledge and equipment.

Or all of the above.  In classic Traveller, non-lethal dart guns and old-fashioned cutlasses are the typical shipboard weapons used against would-be boarders because the more advanced weaponry available would likely burn a hole in the starship's hull or damage/destroy its engines.  Explosive decompression is a harsh mistress!  Battle armor, powered or unpowered, and plasma guns are restricted military items, hideously expensive, and battery hogs to boot.  Besides, wearing them into the local convenience store would freak out the cops, never a good thing, even on worlds with more relaxed governments.  For adventurers, the best balance between effectiveness and cost is widely available ballistic cloth and a standard automatic pistol.  And the lower tech gear is fairly concealable and less likely to attract unwanted attention than other options.  Since even a fistfight can easily be lethal in Traveller, PCs are much more likely to sneak around and avoid confrontation than engage in Han Solo-type antics anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Man Henerson said:

An ACME sales representative will be with you shortly... In the meantime, can we interest you in some classic red rockets and anvils? :D

Yes please, and a new copy of our catalog as well. My last one blew up.

• Haha 2

About uneven technological level there is a premise missing....

Is it the master of Orion influence, perhaps.. but it goes like that....

While most planet where adventure would happen seems full of life form. In fact most planet started empty until an alien space faring race came here and started terraforming, or mining, or something... So where there is life there is tech, because otherwise there would be no life... And technological regression would simply mean death in many places...

Even on earth where there still technology underdeveloped tribe, it's because they have't caught up. There a not many case of technological regression. Communist china perhaps... so it's why Bulrathi can't be too oppressing.. otherwise I wouldn't believe in a successful space empire...

Anyway there might be some technologically primitive places but:
1. it would need to be on planet naturally good for life (otherwise everybody would die on the hostile biome), no space colonist would waste a terran planet, they will be quickly invaded (nobody in master of orion will let such a planet alone and I am pretty a real space civilisation wouldn't either)
2. more importantly I would see it as a personal failure, like "I find it hard to develop modern day adventure so I fallback into the fantasy genre"

Maybe one could argue there is no such thing as realistic scifi adventure and falling back to medieval society is necessary... but I haven't given up trying yet!
So I won't do any medieval one unless I give up or finally master the modern day investigation!

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

About uneven technological level there is a premise missing....

Is it the master of Orion influence, perhaps.. but it goes like that.... (emphasis Bill the Barbarian's

Keep in mind that a global message asking for a specific response (or lack of a response as the case may be) from your fellow posters will take a few cycles of replies to go by before all (well, an orlanthi all) will see the message and then a few more for people to care more for the message then their own posts to actually take heed and quit replying in the unasked for way. Even then you will still get newcomers who do not see the plea (starting the cycle again on a smaller scale) and of course, the perversity of human nature will rear its ugly head and some will simply ignore the request figuring they will do what they will do and what right have you to set an agenda just because... well, you set the agenda. :•). And in the end there will always be posts that you don’t want. Again, you get what you pay for.

Good luck herding your cats, oh great cat herder!

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

As a side note, there is one planet that I do indeed intend to be primitive. The Illithid planet (aka D&D mindlayers). Not because of regression or because Bulrathi were afraid of psionic powers, but because Bulrathi decided to make it a state secret and employ some Illithid in the secret service. 
So this planet is not being colonised.
I have no plan of adventure there in the near future.. it's just a bit of personal lore for fun for now....

Initial adventures would be on an hostile planet, people live under domed city (force field dome) outside of dome there is not enough oxygen and it's deadly cold.... not entirely decided on the biome yet, might be just an icy planet without oxygen (currently terraforming)... the idea is that it feels definitely alien and hostile to life... And the stellar system is set up for mining and the player's planet to be, hopefully one day in a remote future, an agrarian world...

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

I am thinking people only invest in viable system..

either there are mining opportunity, or ancient Orion relics, or maybe it's a fuel outpost (in those case it can super hostile)..

Otherwise.. it would at least have a terraforming potential.... (if not already agreeable to life, but those planets are uncommon).
Dry ice, btw, would be perfect for a planet with terraform potential! turning into greenhouse gas that will (slowly) warm the dead cold planet! :D

In the case of the players I am still undecided.. just want to make it dangerous.. and maybe I will have some unfortunate time outside the protective cities domes for drama purpose...

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

As a side note, initially I planned the adventure to start after the capital planet have been set to ruin in a times of turmoil....

But I got a new better idea... Adventure will start before the coup and Antarian attack.
And in the first series of investigation the player will uncover a secret independentist society that is researching a method to lure the Antarian at some location (the Antarians being the big bag voodoo of MOO with a supreme technology, living in a parallel dimension, they are like Cthulhu, in a way! 😅)...

Then later when the Antarians will contribute to the downfall of the capital world... Player will have a clue as to whom is to blame! 😮 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont