What does Slow do, diegetically?

Akhôrahil

We all know what Slow does as a rules effect, but what actually seems to happen in the world to create this effect? That is, what does the target actually experience?

Is time changed for you (this doesn't seem to work, as the penalty is different to move and strike rank)?

Do your legs get clumsy (this doesn't seem right, as skill chances aren't affected)? 

Do your legs just refuse to move faster than half normal, perhaps like walking through water (this seems right for movement, but then why would it affect stationary spellcasting and missile fire)? Or are all of your bodily movements restricted in speed, as though you were fully in water (but then again, why would walking speed be reduced by more than other bodily movements)?

Edited by Akhôrahil

2 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Last Saturday I allowed one player to cast Slow on a friend who was about to jump from a ledge 4 meters up, in order to slow down his fall. So yes, as if the target were inmersed in water for me. 🙂

The corollary of that is that you can increase falling damage by casting Mobility on the target. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/13/2020 at 10:17 AM, Akhôrahil said:

Do your legs just refuse to move faster than half normal, perhaps like walking through water (this seems right for movement, but then why would it affect stationary spellcasting and missile fire)? Or are all of your bodily movements restricted in speed, as though you were fully in water (but then again, why would walking speed be reduced by more than other bodily movements)?

That's how I describe it. You are walking and moving slowly, as if walking through water, or treacle. 

I don't really look into it any further than that. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 2:23 AM, Akhôrahil said:

Oh, and waitwaitwhat, just re-read the spell - it's not POW vs. POW?!

"All targets, except voluntary ones, resist spells cast at them and need to be overcome (POW vs. POW) with a resistance roll" (p254)

So as far as I understand, all spells require a POW resistance roll, except for those that specifically say otherwise (e.g. Detect Enemies). Of course, many spells are only cast on oneself, or on a voluntary ally (Heal, Second Sight, etc.). Some spells can be cast on unconscious allies (Heal) and I consider that you do indeed need to overcome their POW in that case.

As for what slow does, it makes your body move slower, indeed as if in water as others mentioned. Your mind however is still able to function normally, so it doesn't alter your perception of time. I also rule that you have difficulty speaking or screaming while in that state, so "Look out! Behind you!" might sound like "Lllllloooouuuuukkkkkk oooooouuuuuuuuut...." and then it's the end of the round :) (I don't have an explanation for it... it's just fun!)

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

39 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

"All targets, except voluntary ones, resist spells cast at them and need to be overcome (POW vs. POW) with a resistance roll" (p254)

So as far as I understand, all spells require a POW resistance roll, except for those that specifically say otherwise (e.g. Detect Enemies). 

Yes, you’re right (realised this a while back). It’s really bad writing to make this explicit on almost all, but not quite all, spells, because that becomes actively misleading (I and several players made this mistake) if you don’t happen to read the general rule.

43 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

As for what slow does, it makes your body move slower, indeed as if in water as others mentioned. Your mind however is still able to function normally, so it doesn't alter your perception of time. I also rule that you have difficulty speaking or screaming while in that state, so "Look out! Behind you!" might sound like "Lllllloooouuuuukkkkkk oooooouuuuuuuuut...." and then it's the end of the round :) (I don't have an explanation for it... it's just fun!)

So when you’re on Mobility, it’s the opposite and you talk really fast and high-pitched? I can buy that (no, not really).

59 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

:) (I don't have an explanation for it... it's just fun!)

Explanation... what for !? All you need is Love MGF* !

On 2/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, Runeblogger said:

Last Saturday I allowed one player to cast Slow on a friend who was about to jump from a ledge 4 meters up, in order to slow down his fall. So yes, as if the target were inmersed in water for me. 🙂

It can work for me....

There is another way to see it. As Slow is a spirit spell and we don't have Rune association with each spell, you can ask yourself : "What type of spirit is slowing down my target ?"
-If you are part of a larnst cult : It's a spirit of movement, it slow the target by taking away it's movement. Slow in walking and slow to fall.
-If your are an Aldryami : it's a spirit of vines acting like a "bondage". Slow to walk but fall as fast usual...
-If you are part of a wind cult : It's a spirit of wind, it slow and hinder the target like in the wind tempest. Slow in walking and very fast to fall !!!

You can imagine all sorts of consequence but rather than not the mechanic of game you should imagine what in gloranthan reality is really happening. So you can make a choice and simplify your game... MGF* !

*Max Game Fun : The less you look at the rules, the more you play, the funniest it is).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Yes, you’re right (realised this a while back). It’s really bad writing to make this explicit on almost all, but not quite all, spells, because that becomes actively misleading (I and several players made this mistake) if you don’t happen to read the general rule.

Almost all of the specifically offensive spells, yes (but not almost all spells: only 6 spells mention POW resistance rolls AFAICT). I wonder how many people roll for resistance when casting, say, Dispel Magic at enemies.

What made it a bit confusing to me at first was that both the generic "Magic" chapter (p244) and "Spirit Magic" chapter (p254) use an absolute wording of the rule (all targets resist all spells unless the target is voluntary). The "Rune Magic" chapter however (p314) uses a more relaxed wording ("Many spells require the caster to overcome...."). Common logic would dictate that the more specific chapter overrules the more general chapter, but of course the "Rune Magic" tells you to refer to the generic "Magic" chapter for more information :)   So in the spirit of reducing the number of unnecessary fiddly bits in RQG, I rule that Rune Magic also lets all targets resist all spells unless specified otherwise in the spell.

18 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

So when you’re on Mobility, it’s the opposite and you talk really fast and high-pitched? I can buy that (no, not really).

It doesn't have to be high-pitched but yeah? Although it has not happened yet so I don't know. Knowing my group of players, that's what would most likely happen though :)  (apparently we have a different idea of fun but that's OK!)

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

The way I see slow and mobility is that you just walk/run faster or slower, that's it, there's no molasses/water effect or similar. If you run while Slowed, you'll just find that you aren't making as much headway as you should - if you look at your feet, they'll seem to be in the right spot to take a full step, but when you look up you'll see you've only covered half that distance. Same kind of deal for Mobility. Does it make perfect sense? No, not in the slightest, Does it need to? No, not in the slightest. It's magic that makes you either slower or faster when it comes to locomotion, that's the whole of it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think the answer is “it varies”. Two different Slow spells from different sources may have different manifestations. We use the same game mechanics for simplicity but I also would not rule out a player asking for a variant rules effect.

I think this is the best answer. Spirit Magic is very generalized, and designed to focus on a rules-based effect rather than on how exactly it comes about. For instance, Bladesharp can’t just make the blade sharper - apart from all the other questions that arise about sharpness, you wouldn’t receive a bonus to hit from having a really sharp weapon. 

A sloth spirit might make you lazy with your action, a time spirit might contract time for you, a spider spirit might hinder your movements using webbing, an earth elemental might grab at your feet.

This seems really productive, too - it means the GM gets to describe what happens in each case, and that can only be a good thing!