Cthulhu Dark Ages Corrections Thread

MOB

• MOB pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Dethstrok9 said:

I'm not trying to be rude in any way, just want to know the answer.

It seems like there's many typos and errors in all Chaosium products that I own, do you guys have crappy editors or what?

You are succeeding at being rude. And I invite you to share your own editing of your own works before making this claim of others.

Edited by klecser

2 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

It seems like there's many typos and errors in all Chaosium products that I own, do you guys have crappy editors or what?

While we appreciate all feedback, positive and negative, we find it far more helpful if people are specific. Can you please quantify "many typos and errors". Otherwise it's just a vague bit of feedback that we can't really do much about, other than look at Lord Vader and tell him that we will double our efforts. We don't doubt you. We just need to better understand the feedback.

We have had some people provide us with details on a dozen errors, and we have also had people tell us that the THREE typos they found in a 256 page book ruined their reading experience.

• Like 6

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

7 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

Yes, we do use professional proofreaders. Despite this, errors can still creep through.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've flipped through the book, and read some sections here and there, and I really like it! 

I have seen a couple of things that aren't typos, but maybe should be corrected anyways. 

On page 43, the word "BATTLE" looks like it is the header for the next sections (Castles, Communication, Community). It is not, right? 

On page 72: the header "Equip investigator" should be Equip Investigator, with capital I, as it is a header. 

It would also be useful with some weapon descriptions. I'm not clear on what a "Sword, Long" is (the table on page 92). Two handed sword, as far as I know, didn't really appear until around late 13th century. What kind of weapon are these stats meant for? 

3 hours ago, Ferretz said:

It would also be useful with some weapon descriptions. I'm not clear on what a "Sword, Long" is (the table on page 92). Two handed sword, as far as I know, didn't really appear until around late 13th century. What kind of weapon are these stats meant for? 

Thanks for the corrections.  

In terms of longswords - we kept that in as although they are not 100% historically accurate, this setting is not 100% accurate (it has monsters in it etc 🙂) - thus, players and Keepers may wish to include such weaponry (exotic as it may be) and it also helps when creating monsters (if one wants one to carry a longsword-like weapon or has sword-like arms). 

As for descriptions, there's not a great need to spend page count on this (I'd rather devote it to more useful material) - and a simple web search can clear up any definitions if required. 

Thanks again

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dethstrok9 said:

I'm not trying to be rude in any way...

This is what's known as a "head-but" -- preceding a statement with a denial of same:  I don't mean to be (XXXX), but (totally-XXXX).

That said, I'll start proofing CDA now.

!i!

• Like 3

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

I apologize, I reread what I wrote and thought it was mean-spirited. I was annoyed at friends who were talking about how Chaosium wasn't as "professional" as Wizards of the Coast because of f-ing typos in their work, and then I saw this thread and got angry. Sorry.

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

On 2/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, klecser said:

You are succeeding at being rude. And I invite you to share your own editing of your own works before making this claim of others.

Savage, I stand corrected:)

Before Halloween, you shall have that which you seek. Although I will say that Chaosium is a large company whereas I'm one teenager...

Edited by Dethstrok9

-Voice of the Legion

Mismatch in enumeration: in the TOC and chapter titles, appendices are numbered with numerals 1..4, but in the headers of odd-numbered pages, they’re called “APPENDIX A...D”.

Appendix 2/B, p.256: in the entry for the year 983, it should be “Brandenburg”, instead of “Brandeburg” (cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince-Bishopric_of_Brandenburg)

Appendix 2/B, p.257: in the entry for the year 1046, it should read “forbids”, instead of “forbid” (as in “[the pope] forbids the marriage of priests”).

re: Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos or Porphyrogenitus (cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_VII )

• on p.251, entry for “Automaton”, his name is given as “Konstantinos VII Porfyrogennetos”, whereas on p.259, section “Byzantine Emperors”, it’s given as “Constantine VII Porphyrogenetus”. In chapter 6, first paragraph, his name is referenced as “Constantine”. Although both Greek and Latin spellings are equally valid, it might be best to choose one kind of spelling and stick with it. Avoids confusion. 😉
Edited by foolcat
  • Like 1

Just saw in the Index on p.264, that the section for "E" entries says "D".

Another very minor typo I've just come across: On p.172, 2nd column, line 10, "someonewere" needs a space.

And another, on p.233, the first line of "Keeper's Background" says, "The Monastery of St. Swithun about a day’s journey from Totburh and home to 30 monks." It should be "is about".

Another on p.238, in "Back to the Monestary" it says, "He’d prefer to capture and ransom them trather than kill them."

And one more also on p.238, it says, "...but allow them to understoof that it does somehow weaken him," is presumably meant to say, "understand".

Edited by Danial
Addition
  • Like 1