Experiences running M-Space or Mythras for scifi in general

almenac

My current Savage Worlds campaign might be drawing to a close and I might be running scifi after that. I'm looking into using Mythras or M-Space as the engine and I'd like to hear your experiences of the system in real table play. What does it do well? What could need more robust rules or conversions from other systems? I'm also interested in hearing about your scifi experiences in BRP/d100 world in general, especially in relation to other systems you've possibly tried.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, almenac said:

My current Savage Worlds campaign might be drawing to a close and I might be running scifi after that. I'm looking into using Mythras or M-Space as the engine and I'd like to hear your experiences of the system in real table play. What does it do well? What could need more robust rules or conversions from other systems? I'm also interested in hearing about your scifi experiences in BRP/d100 world in general, especially in relation to other systems you've possibly tried.

Hi Almenac!

I think Mythras/M-Space is great. It is definitely grittier than many other rulesets, but luck points help to keep your characters alive.

After having run a samurai campaign with Mythras, I'm itching to run a M-Space campaign. One of these:

I think I'll end up running Elevation sooner or later. 😋

• Like 3

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

FYI -

Here's a link to the campaign reports (n.b. it's the 2nd part of them; part-1 is over on TDM's forum (linked in the first post)) using M-Space to run the very highly-regarded Pirates of Drinax campaign (which is written for Mongoose-Traveller) :

Looks really really good!

I'll just tag @Pentallion in on this (as it's his stuff I link), in case he doesn't notice the thread...

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I finally just bit the bullet on Tapatalk.

Sorry for the brief side-track almenac...

A quick question, what is tapatalk? Suddenly I started seeing all kinds of tweets from this (?) that I had not sought out nor know why I was getting them. Hell, I don’t follow sports or any of the other topics that were being twitted (not a misspelling). So naturally I marked them as spam and tossed them all and have not seen any since. Did I start receiving these twits (not a misspelling) because I visited The Design Mechanism? I hope not as I have a fair amount of Mythras product that I like and I will not put up with unsolicited content entering my email..

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Sorry for the brief side-track almenac...

A quick question, what is tapatalk? Suddenly I started seeing all kinds of tweets from this (?) that I had not sought out nor know why I was getting them. Hell, I don’t follow sports or any of the other topics that were being twitted (not a misspelling). So naturally I marked them as spam and tossed them all and have not seen any since. Did I start receiving these twits (not a misspelling) because I visited The Design Mechanism? I hope not as I have a fair amount of Mythras product that I like and I will not put up with unsolicited content entering my email..

Tapatalk is application designed to aggregate forums into a single view so you don't need to have multiple log ins and memberships. A couple of years ago they branched into forum hosting, buying the platform we used for TDM's forum. In practice, if you have a Tapatalk account, you only need one log in for any forums that are hosted under the Tapatalk umbrella. For instance, my TDM and ENWorld forum memberships operate from one interface now, and I don't need to log into each separately.

Like any software app, Tapatalk is looking to gain users, and so you're likely to get promotional emails from them. But that isn't because TDM uses them for its forum, and they don't have any access to our customer database or mailing list addresses - it's simply coincidence. I've had Tapatalk promos too, and I'm a member of the app! Visiting the TDM website or our forum categorically will not result in you being spammed. We don't sell, trade or share any of our customer details. However, the algorithms built into browsers like Google Chrome are great at learning what sort of sites you visit, and helping you receive notifications/promos targeted to your "needs".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Thanks Loz, great answer and I feel much better supporting TDM, and it’s great products.

So, now that they are no longer sending me twits (not sic) one more question if I could. How do I avoid this invasion of my work email that is very important to me? Should it restart coincidentally (honestly, I did not stop visiting you because of Tapatalk, that was sheer coincidence :)) when I start revisiting  TDM? Thanks in advance, gents.

Cheers!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I too got tapatalk-spammed.  All tapatalk coming to my inbox now gets filtered as spam, regardless of content.

Also, there's something weird (probably in my config, so it's "user error") in that I cannot find other tapatalk groups that I try to find; logged into TDM-forum, I try to hit another tapatalk site, and get denied or login-prompted.  I've generally experienced tapatalk as more trouble than it's worth.

It makes me visit TDM a lot less than I otherwise might.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 minutes ago, prinz.slasar said:

If TDM has to make the decision between many MYTHRAS books but keeping Taptalk OR switch to a better but more expensive platform and therefore has less capacities for MYTHRAS ... then it's better to maintain Taptalk.

Yeah.

I can skip Tapatalk if I find it too painful, but I cannot play (or buy) the books you guys haven't put out yet because you had to redirect the resources.

All in the hypothetical case! Not saying y'all DID do such a thing!!!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

In my way to deal with the strange-ness of this whole isolation thing, i ordered all of the M-Space physical books. Four in total, i believe.

• M-Space core rulebook
  • Reflux
  • Elevation: First Contact
  • The Triton Incident

That's the whole collection so far, correct?

I've been eyeing them forever and finally pulled the trigger. We'll see how long they take to get here.

Edited by Jeffrywith1e
correcting a redundant sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

In my way to deal with the strange-ness of this whole isolation thing, i ordered all of the M-Space physical books. Four in total, i believe.

• M-Space core rulebook
  • Reflux
  • Elevation: First Contact
  • The Triton Incident

That's the whole collection so far, correct?

I've been eyeing them forever and finally pulled the trigger. We'll see how long they take to get here.

You missed ODD SOOT and ODDITIES [only PDF] for Odd Soot.

If you have it all, then you have:

M-SPACE: Traveller-like Sci-Fi toolbox

REFLUX: Star Wars/Space Opera-like setting with a big adventure scenario

ELEVATION + THE TRITON INCIDENT: First Contact/Star Trek-like setting and 3+1 adventures for a mini campaign

ODD SOOT: Mystery/Horror Scifi in 1920s space-faring setting with introductionary scenario and ODDITIES: new character options for Odd Soot characters.

All books bring new things into M-SPACE, e.g. rules for Cybernetics in ELEVATION.

Next up is the M-SPACE COMPANION.

Also: A GIFT FROM SHAMASH is a MYTHRAS IMPERATIVE/M-SPACE scenario for the genre Hard Sci-Fi + Space Marines

Edited by prinz.slasar
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

You missed ODD SOOT and ODDITIES [only PDF] for Odd Soot.
ODD SOOT: Mystery/Horror Scifi in 1920s space-faring setting with introductionary scenario and ODDITIES: new character options for Odd Soot characters.

Gotta give big, BIG props for Odd Soot.  It's an amazing and very original work.

Also wanting to point to  "...Mystery/Horror Scifi in 1920s ..."  and say that while that's is completely accurate, it could also apply to Cthulhu...  But I must stress that Odd Soot is UTTERLY NOT a Cthulhu (nor Cthulhu-Mythos "vibe") setting.  It's very VERY much "ominous noir mystery" with a hint of maybe-supernatural-(and/or-spiritual)-corruption sort of horror, rather than Cosmic Horror with Eldritch Beings.

It's also alt-history / alt-science.  It'd be a brilliant thing to blend with Luther Arkwright (looks like a pretty seamless fit), or with Worlds United (need to tweak some 20's-alt vs 50's-alt stuff, both setting and tech).

Edited by g33k
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/19/2020 at 9:50 PM, g33k said:

Gotta give big, BIG props for Odd Soot.  It's an amazing and very original work.

Also wanting to point to  "...Mystery/Horror Scifi in 1920s ..."  and say that while that's is completely accurate, it could also apply to Cthulhu...  But I must stress that Odd Soot is UTTERLY NOT a Cthulhu (nor Cthulhu-Mythos "vibe") setting.  It's very VERY much "ominous noir mystery" with a hint of maybe-supernatural-(and/or-spiritual)-corruption sort of horror, rather than Cosmic Horror with Eldritch Beings.

It's also alt-history / alt-science.  It'd be a brilliant thing to blend with Luther Arkwright (looks like a pretty seamless fit), or with Worlds United (need to tweak some 20's-alt vs 50's-alt stuff, both setting and tech).

Thank you for your kind words g33k!

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

On 3/22/2020 at 6:17 AM, clarence said:

Thank you for your kind words g33k!

They aren't precisely "kind" words, Clarence.  I'm not being nice here, or polite.  I'm calling it as I see it:  factually (given the limits of this sort of thing being, in the end, a matter of taste).

You've hit a stunning blend of grounded familiarity and "weird science" oddity, but with a flavor different from most other "wacky" style weird science I've seen.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig