Associated Cult Rune Magic

GAZZA

When it says that you can get Rune magic from an associated cult, does that refer to any of the special Rune magic for an associated cult? Page 313 of RQG seems to imply it does, however the actual cult write ups still have the old "X grants Y" type of thing.

Specifically, Orlanth and Odayla are associated cults, and Odayla provides Bear's Strength to Orlanth Thunderous. So, presumably, that means that the only Rune spell that Orlanth initiates can get from Odayla is Bear's Strength (and only for the Thunderous subcult).

Let's say that's true. Odayla and Orlanth pretty much share the same Holy Days (their High Holy Days are different); could an initiate of both gods worship both of them in a single day, regaining Rune Points for both?

2 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Specifically, Orlanth and Odayla are associated cults, and Odayla provides Bear's Strength to Orlanth Thunderous. So, presumably, that means that the only Rune spell that Orlanth initiates can get from Odayla is Bear's Strength (and only for the Thunderous subcult).

I would say yes.

2 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Let's say that's true. Odayla and Orlanth pretty much share the same Holy Days (their High Holy Days are different); could an initiate of both gods worship both of them in a single day, regaining Rune Points for both?

I would also say yes.

• Like 1

I could be mistaken but I thought that the holy days used to regain runepoints were kind of an all day affair. Kind of the difference between weekly Sunday services and your big holidays like Easter and Christmas, so I dont see how a PC could find the time to engage it two time consuming religious celebrations on the same day.

56 minutes ago, Israeldor said:

so I dont see how a PC could find the time to engage it two time consuming religious celebrations on the same day.

For Associated Cults, and at temples of sufficient size, it would be one religious celebration that includes stories/rites of the deities interacting. For example, if it was Orlanth and Odayla, then there might be the story of how Orlanth, with the aid of Odayla, tracked and tamed the savage Sky Bear and bound it to Orlanth's Ring.  Or how they rescued the many beasts from the evil sorcerer during the Plundering of Aron.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Israeldor said:

I could be mistaken but I thought that the holy days used to regain runepoints were kind of an all day affair. Kind of the difference between weekly Sunday services and your big holidays like Easter and Christmas, so I dont see how a PC could find the time to engage it two time consuming religious celebrations on the same day.

Yeah this is my understanding as well, hence the question.

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

For Associated Cults, and at temples of sufficient size, it would be one religious celebration that includes stories/rites of the deities interacting. For example, if it was Orlanth and Odayla, then there might be the story of how Orlanth, with the aid of Odayla, tracked and tamed the savage Sky Bear and bound it to Orlanth's Ring.  Or how they rescued the many beasts from the evil sorcerer during the Plundering of Aron.

But this is an excellent answer - kudos!

19 hours ago, GAZZA said:

When it says that you can get Rune magic from an associated cult, does that refer to any of the special Rune magic for an associated cult? Page 313 of RQG seems to imply it does, however the actual cult write ups still have the old "X grants Y" type of thing.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Temples to Orlanth may well have an Odayla shrine and vice versa. In some Lunar areas, Odayla Temples might not have an Orlanth shrine, but someone might cast Sanctify to allow dual worship.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

If you want a more rulesy answer that doesn't assume they share the same ceremony, then assume that if you attend the High Holy Day of one you get the full benefit, but the benefits of attending associate worship (ie 1d6 rune points renewed on a successful Worship) of the other. This can happen even if you do assume you can combine both full ceremonies in the one day, as often a clan does not have a holy place to a minor deity like Yinkin or any worshippers. Characters in minor cults either might be assumed to be from a clan that particularly likes that cult, or to travel to a nearby clan or holy place, and sometimes characters in two cults might have to choose, if they do not have access to a Great Temple. 

On 4/21/2020 at 8:15 AM, soltakss said:

Temples to Orlanth may well have an Odayla shrine and vice versa. In some Lunar areas, Odayla Temples might not have an Orlanth shrine, but someone might cast Sanctify to allow dual worship.

That 'someone' should probably get the local priests to agree first, otherwise they might look askance at your weird antics.

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

That 'someone' should probably get the local priests to agree first, otherwise they might look askance at your weird antics.

You know that picture in the temple of Orlanth helping Odayla? Would you mind awfully if I cast sanctify in front of it and lead a worship ceremony to Orlanth? 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

21 minutes ago, soltakss said:

You know that picture in the temple of Orlanth helping Odayla? Would you mind awfully if I cast sanctify in front of it and lead a worship ceremony to Orlanth? 

You know those armed guards with the red cloaks and Moon-rune shields watching your holy day ceremony like hawks for anybody stepping out of line? Would they mind awfully if I lead a forbidden worship ceremony to the rebel god Orlanth while I'm visiting your temple?

1 minute ago, Nick Brooke said:

You know those armed guards with the red cloaks and Moon-rune shields watching your holy day ceremony like hawks for anybody stepping out of line? Would they mind awfully if I lead a forbidden worship ceremony to the rebel god Orlanth while I'm visiting your temple?

Nah, they'll be fine, we'll just refer to Orlanth as Odayla' Windy mate and they'll never know

3 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I would say in all case, if you use runic magic / ceremony in a temple, you have to ask to the chief priest. Whatever the god (the one of the temple, or an associated, or an hostile :p)

Do you think that irl, the local priest would accept you to conduct a ceremony ? yes (or it depends on the religion, I don't know) you can prey on a seat dedicated to, but no you cannot do what you want in a sacred place managed bu the consecrated local boss

In my glorantha, it is not only rule mechanic it is also rp relationship (does the local priest know / like the pc, how request the pc,  etc...)

• Like 1

I think it's more a case of whether the local Odayla priest - assuming they are a rebel sympathizer - can do it in a manner that does not arise the suspicions of any overseers or informers that might be lurking.

3 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think it's more a case of whether the local Odayla priest - assuming they are a rebel sympathizer - can do it in a manner that does not arise the suspicions of any overseers or informers that might be lurking.

Yes but this is all scenario and character and campaign building stuff, not "of course you can always do it automatically at any associated cult's temple, just cast Sanctify."

• Like 3