Brave New World !

pendragon

Hey guys I had quick question for anyone who would be kind enough to answer I guess :) I have created a book that I would like to submit to Basic Roleplaying Central and possibly Chaossium for publication. ... the project as it stands is about 89% complete and I expect to have it done somewhere within the next 3 months ... but again there a quite a few questions which I would like to have answered and I would be very grateful to anyone who would start a dialog with me on how to get this project submitted.

Thanks in advance

The Pen-dragon

Can you tell us a bit more...? What's the nature of the setting? How long is the book? Have you looked at the monograph guidelines from Chaosium and thought about doing it that way? Does it contrain proprietary information? Etc.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Well I have not exactly settled on a title yet I am thinking “Brave New World” Right now it is standing @ around 188 pages but that might change.. I am mostly working on layout and writing and finishing up some sections of the book ... I am looking now for an artist who could do justice to the setting.. so all and all like I said it is about 89%. Oh I have printed a copy of the Monograph submissions and will be looking at them seriously tonight. Thanks for the direction!!

But at length the campaign source book will allow Gm's to stage a game in the period of the colonialization of America with a mix of the supernatural, both European and Native American. I am designing the game in such a way that it can be played with or without magic for the serious enthusiast of this age.

This time in history is probably one of the most overlooked of any, maybe because no one nation or peoples can lay sole claim to it. But I have rarely read or imagined more exciting adventures than the tales of REAL adventures that took place in this age... Ballrooms, mansions, castles, kings and queens, conspiracies and sorceries both real and imagined, swords, pistol/ muskets cannons blazing, vicious guerilla wars waged in dark Forests, Mountains and waterfalls which stretch as far as the mind can grasp. The spirit of this age has now slipped beyond our grasp, and sadly I do not think that it will be seen again until we succeed in colonizing other planets and again there arises a new frontier to summon mankind to the challenge..

The starting time is going to be America 1733, the new world where settlements abound and the frontier is alive with legendary animals of Enormous size and power. Dark ruins of peoples so old, arcane and mysterious that their origins and way of life are lost even to oldest tribes.

To this world many men have come indentured or of low stations and made their fortunes in the wilds of this new land. The word spread like wildfire across the length and breath Europe and legends, hope & greed grew in equal proportions. Agents of mighty trade empires whispered in ball rooms and into the ears of kings and queens alike. And the rush conquer the new world began.

Soon people of all nations gave all they had and willingly & sometimes not so willingly sold themselves into bondage for the chance to rise again as freemen in a land of opportunity and adventure, where a person’s constitution, character and hard work can win for them a place among the new aristocracy of America.

Secreted within their numbers are witches, warlocks, alchemist and secret societies who all hope to increase their knowledge and power base in the new world, some for the common good and some for their own selfish ends. All of them trying to escape the spirit of prosecution & the soldiers of faith.

In dark and stormy waters pirates sail the coasts of the Americas and dominate the South Seas. Robbery and murder their calling cards. Great rewards are offered for their heads, treasures & and secrets of the seas.

Finally the War between the great nations of England, France & the Dutch, rage constantly and the waves of conflict crash into the new world. Drawling solders, colonist & there native American Allies into their tide. Death by wild animals, starvation, exposure, musket or tomahawk is a constant companion.

But if you a swift, cunning and brave then Fame, Fortune, and prosperity & maybe a kingdom can be yours.

Edited by pendragon

This time in history is probably one of the most overlooked of any, maybe because no one nation or peoples can lay sole claim to it. But I have rarely read or imagined more exciting adventures than the tales of REAL adventures that took place in this age... Ballrooms, mansions, castles, kings and queens, conspiracies and sorceries both real and imagined, swords, pistol/ muskets cannons blazing, vicious guerilla wars waged in dark Forests, Mountains and waterfalls which stretch as far as the mind can grasp. The spirit of this age has now slipped beyond our grasp, and sadly I do not think that it will be seen again until we succeed in colonizing other planets and again there arises a new frontier to summon mankind to the challenge..

The starting time is going to be America 1733, the new world where settlements abound and the frontier is alive with legendary animals of Enormous size and power. Dark ruins of peoples so old, arcane and mysterious that their origins and way of life are lost even to oldest tribes.

To this world many men have come indentured or of low stations and made their fortunes in the wilds of this new land. The word spread like wildfire across the length and breath Europe and legends, hope & greed grew in equal proportions. Agents of mighty trade empires whispered in ball rooms and into the ears of kings and queens alike. And the rush conquer the new world began.

Soon people of all nations gave all they had and willingly & sometimes not so willingly sold themselves into bondage for the chance to rise again as freemen in a land of opportunity and adventure, where a person’s constitution, character and hard work can win for them a place among the new aristocracy of America.

Secreted within their numbers are witches, warlocks, alchemist and secret societies who all hope to increase their knowledge and power base in the new world, some for the common good and some for their own selfish ends. All of them trying to escape the spirit of prosecution & the soldiers of faith.

In dark and stormy waters pirates sail the coasts of the Americas and dominate the South Seas. Robbery and murder their calling cards. Great rewards are offered for their heads, treasures & and secrets of the seas.

Finally the War between the great nations of England, France & the Dutch, rage constantly and the waves of conflict crash into the new world. Drawling solders, colonist & there native American Allies into their tide. Death by wild animals, starvation, exposure, musket or tomahawk is a constant companion.

But if you a swift, cunning and brave then Fame, Fortune, and prosperity & maybe a kingdom can be yours.

I love it. Last year I read David Drake's "Old Nathan," which takes place in early colonial times, and thought "Man ... you could make an interesting campaign setting out of this!"

Good luck with this one as I'd love to see it.

Yowza - that sounds awesome! I hope you've given my home city of Montreal a good treatment!

As I see it, these are your potential routes:

1. Publishing it as a book - you might approach Alephtar Games (Rosen McStern here on this forum - send him a PM) and see if they will be interested. Since the manuscript is mostly done, I imagine there's enough there for him to evaluate it. Similarly, Chaosium might be interested in the manuscript. I don't know about the other franshisees but there may be other people to approach, too.

2. You could take out a franchise yourself from Chaosium and publish it yourself, but then you have to commit to producing more books, so it might be more than you want to tackle.

3. There's the monograph route as already mentioned. 188 pages might be too long for a monograph - not sure. If you want to go this route just e-mail your ideas to Dustin - he usually responds pretty quickly.

4. I imagine you could put it up as a free book here. I have no idea what sort of copyright concerns there may be, however (if any) - others can answer this better. There are other similar resources for download here.

Thalaba

Edited by Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Sounds good, but you ought to know that Sixtystone Press plans to publish a sourcebook, a scenario book and a campaign book for Colonial Lovecraft Country through 2010. The sourcebook is being written by Kevin Ross. Colonial Lovecraft Country's default setting is 1750 but the sourcebook will cover the whole eighteenth century.

That said it sounds like you are doing something broader and non-Cthulhu orientated so there should be room for both of us. And hopefully sales of one will feed the other.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited

Hey thanks for the words of encouragement and for the ideas I am going to be looking at all of this tonight and deciding which way to go… I will post something tomorrow once I figure it out... but whichever way I have to tell you guys the response is enough to triple my enthusiasm in working on this project … I just hope that I can do the whole setting the justice it deserves !!

Hopefully you guys will love the book and it will give you tons of play time with you and your crew !

Yowza - that sounds awesome! I hope you've given my home city of Montreal a good treatment!

As I see it, these are your potential routes:

1. Publishing it as a book - you might approach Alephtar Games (Rosen McStern here on this forum - send him a PM) and see if they will be interested. Since the manuscript is mostly done, I imagine there's enough there for him to evaluate it. Similarly, Chaosium might be interested in the manuscript. I don't know about the other franshisees but there may be other people to approach, too.

2. You could take out a franchise yourself from Chaosium and publish it yourself, but then you have to commit to producing more books, so it might be more than you want to tackle.

3. There's the monograph route as already mentioned. 188 pages might be too long for a monograph - not sure. If you want to go this route just e-mail your ideas to Dustin - he usually responds pretty quickly.

4. I imagine you could put it up as a free book here. I have no idea what sort of copyright concerns there may be, however (if any) - others can answer this better. There are other similar resources for download here.

Thalaba

Thank you for your suggestions and help :D I have sent an email to Alephtar Games and I hope to hear something from them pretty soon .. I will make sure you get a copy of the game.. come rain or shine for all you have done for me thanks :)

I have read Pendragon's email and we are interested, indeed. The concept sounds good. However, we cannot publish this book before 2010 due to an overcrowded work schedule. You will understand this better when I make Alephtar Games' release schedule public (Trif, when will you be back from Indochina?)

With this I do not want to discourage neither Pendragon nor other would be writers. Send us what you have and if it is interesting I will manage to have it edited, illustrated and published as soon as we have room for it.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 2 weeks later...

This looks a good project, but I'd be wary of calling it Brave New World. I actually thought it was going to be a BRP version of Paranoia from that title. Call it 'Land of the Brave; Home of the Free' or somesuch

Other possible confusion could be the (now out of print) Brave New World from Pinnacle games (supers).

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

Other possible confusion could be the (now out of print) Brave New World from Pinnacle games (supers).

That was my thought, as well, especially considering that I think there's talk of that setting being revisited for Savage Worlds and apparently is also in development for a film.

How about just The New World?

Hey guys I really Appreciate the advice and interest that this project is generating and thanks for the heads up about the title I have been concidering that for a little while here.. I don't think that it is going to be the final name of the game.. just a title for the project so far.. it is moving along at a very good clip taking up most of my free time .. in between the occasional pause to watch UFC .. But to let those of you who are interested in the setting know, I have gotten a couple offers to publish this one so I am reasonably sure you will see this out sometime in 2010.

keep the advice rolling in cause, every little bit helps ~:D

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys just a quick update .. the sweat is rolling and the book is coming along... still working out some kinks and setting issues ( and looking for a new name !! ) but all is well !!

and when it is done and submited you guys will be the first to know !!

No I don't have a deal yet .. I am going to submit it to Alephtar Games and see if they like it enough to publish I have already been approached by them.. I have put a lot of work into it so far, and I am sure it will see the light of day in some way.. and I am in it for the love of the project so however it turns out it's a win.. win :) as for page count after some alterations etc it is standing somewhere around 136 pages.. I am trying to make sure it can stand on its own.. as its own setting reworking monster, myths and legends etc... I have given myself a stop date of sep 15th so I should have something for you guys definitely by then or a few days after :D

• 1 month later...

I must admit this does sound good. What I'd really like to see is something set about 100 years earlier when the colonies in the north are even more tentative. Of course the Spanish and Portugese have South America pretty well sown up by that point. Still this will keep me quiet until my dream is fulfilled :D

Mind you, if this sells well maybe there could be a early days supplement in there somewhere.......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Blurb !!! ... I wish I could give an exsact ETA for you guys but I can't really ... sorry : ( however for the blurb I would go with this:

Brave new world, (working title)

It is the colonial era; a time where desperate and ambitious people from around the globe race to stake their claim in the New World. Legendary creatures, Pirates, highwaymen, witches, warlocks, soldiers, native warriors and many more all compete to establish their place in the new world. Beyond the settlers tiny seaboard towns lie the sprawling native nations but further west awaits a vast and mysterious unknown, waiting to be explored. It is America; 1733.

Comprising over 200 pages of source material including an allegiance system, period correct weapons and original spells for this 'alternate earth', the system will provide a GM with all they need to run a campaign from the first days of settlement to the War for Independance. Other features include a new system for Alchemist, trapping and monters unique to the New World.