Which year would you prefer to play in?

Which year for an RQ Glorantha Sandbox  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer an RQ sandbox set in 1613 (classic) or 1625 (modern)

• 1613 (classic)
    • 1625 (modern)
    • No preference (either would be fine)

10 minutes ago, Thaz said:

I've run and played both. And in fact still am. 馃槃聽Why not both?

The passage of 12 years will change any setting significantly. But if you want to see both, I suppose it would make sense to develop the earlier one first, and then make a (none-binding) suggestion how the situation may have changed in the meantime.

It will be difficult to allow for in-campaign changes when writing such a second module, though.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Just now, Bill the barbarian said:

Well, this is a novel idea, but it does have flaws,

Being as this is meant for a sandbox聽set in Sartar the classic period is set in a nation occupied, while the modern would be a setting of a liberated nation. Much work would have to be doubled and scenarios would have to be tailored to both settings or generic or be useless in one of the settings.聽聽The leaders would need to be doubled up and all while being the same price (who wants to pay more for material that they will not use?). If it was written as a Great Sartar Campaign this could work, but... Thanks for the idea but as stated I am not sure it would fly.

Cheers

I happen to know the Great Sartar Campaign is currently being worked on by Jeff.聽 馃槈聽 However I have run both rq3 in the Classic period 1610 ish and new RQC 1625. Both are cool. I am currently GMing one campaign set in 1627 (Storm and about to enter 1628), playing in another exactly the same and alsoplaying in one set in 1610(?) but using RQG rules . So I get to have my cakes and eat them too.聽

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The passage of 12 years will change any setting significantly. But if you want to see both, I suppose it would make sense to develop the earlier one first, and then make a (none-binding) suggestion how the situation may have changed in the meantime.

It will be difficult to allow for in-campaign changes when writing such a second module, though.

Why not just play through with the events of your adventures and King of Sartar as your timeline?聽Yes you players may alter established events...but that's cool .聽

10 minutes ago, Thaz said:

Why not just play through with the events of your adventures and King of Sartar as your timeline?聽Yes you players may alter established events...but that's cool .聽

Main reason, this is not for me but for sale. They will not be my players,聽but the customer鈥檚 who might not want to pay for the extra work that would require. In a game I run, that is no problem.

As a scenario writer yourself, surely you feel my pain.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Main reason, this is not for me but for sale. They will not be my players,聽but the customer鈥檚 who might not want to pay for the extra work that would require. In a game I run, that is no problem.

As a scenario writer yourself, surely you feel my pain.

Th Grand Campaign is coming. To be honest now It might be best to play from 1611 and up to the dragon rise and then your players are all set for the rise of Argrath. Or possibly their kids in true Pendragon style

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Main reason, this is not for me but for sale.

Sorry reading this again. If you are writing now :- No contest. The old time line is history. Write for the new stuff.聽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Being as this is meant for a sandbox聽set in Sartar

How big is the sandbox? That is: is it set across more than half of Sartar, or is it set in a small corner (a couple valleys) ?聽 If it's in a small corner, it might be possible to more or less easily convert between the 2 times, depending on what the focus of the sandbox is.聽 If it's a wide sandbox, then yeah you have to pick a date.

Another question is: do you actually have any strong themes to your sandbox? What do you want the stories to be about? You might realize that one date works a lot better than another?

All things being equal, like I said I think our goal should be to provide more material to newcomers, and help grow our community (and Chaosium's audience and therefore revenue and therefore longevity of the RQ line). It seems to me that post-1625 better achieves that.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to聽 The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

5 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

How big is the sandbox? That is: is it set across more than half of Sartar, or is it set in a small corner (a couple valleys) ?聽 If it's in a small corner, it might be possible to more or less easily convert between the 2 times, depending on what the focus of the sandbox is.聽 If it's a wide sandbox, then yeah you have to pick a date.

Tribal... I would rather not say more... yet!

Joerg and I have a few surprises in the pipeline, and this is one. Oops, oh poo, did I say that out loud?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Tribal... I would rather not say more... yet!

Joerg and I have a few surprises in the pipeline, and this is one. Oops, oh poo, did I say that out loud?

Another question is how long (in-game) the sandbox is expected to run. If it鈥檚 years and years, it might be better to start it off earlier, just to allot the time for it to complete.

Edited by Akh么rahil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Akh么rahil said:

Another question is how long (in-game) the sandbox is expected to run. If it鈥檚 years and years, it might be better to start it off earlier, just to allot the time for it to complete.

this was part of the thinking.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:47 AM, Akh么rahil said:

Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of Sartar in general at this point, and with all the Jonstown Compendium stuff coming out, honestly "yet聽another Sartar Clan campaign" is among the least exciting things I can imagine.聽

(However, I'm probably an outlier, so go ahead and do what you feel like doing -聽that's far more important than trying to please me specifically! But goddamnit would I love a Safelster, East Isles, Fronela or Fonrit campaign!)

My solution to this was to stop playing in Glorantha for 25 years. Extreme, I'll admit. But it worked. I came back with (mostly) new players and a fresh approach.

Edited by pachristian

On 5/19/2020 at 7:47 AM, Akh么rahil said:

Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of Sartar in general at this point, and with all the Jonstown Compendium stuff coming out, honestly "yet聽another Sartar Clan campaign" is among the least exciting things I can imagine.聽

(However, I'm probably an outlier, so go ahead and do what you feel like doing -聽that's far more important than trying to please me specifically! But goddamnit would I love a Safelster, East Isles, Fronela or Fonrit campaign!)

Given the long dearth of Sartarite material, I've been quite pleased to see the wealth of material set there now, both providing clan-based and episodic material.聽

But I've always liked running campaigns along the fringes of the "known world", too.聽 Eventually I'll get my Imther material in shape for further release (if I can get done with other writing first).聽 I briefly ran a Maslo-based sea-faring campaign that was headed towards Fonrit which was a very different view (plus you get the offspring of the Mother of Monsters, wrecked Dragonships, etc.).聽 And I outlined a Vormaino campaign that I would love to do, but just don't have time for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1