ACES HIGH - A Weird Wild-West Supplement for the BRP System

Trifletraxor

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo yeah! Well life has been rather exciting recently:)

My freebie thing is about 90% done, and it has kind of pointed me in a direction for a much larger campaign, scenario,thing. This is about 10% thought of! It does include a couple of new critters and some other new stuff though...

Spirits is something I would love to expand on but having been accused of being a rascist due to my poor choice of words :o I'm going to treat that with a lot more thought...

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

How so ? ( if you don't mind me asking )

Redskins!

Redskins is a bad word, and I used it exclusively with almost no thought. Or rather, I thought it sounded cool and wanted the AH book to 'flow' so I found every instance of Native, American and Indian (and any combination) and changed it to Redskin, but I have been told it is offensive. Which I think I understand. However, having never seen a real american indian, other than in movies, I was treating them like a mythical race, like a wendigo or an ogre or some other fantastic race. But they are real, and understandably a bit touchy about this kind of causal thoughtlessness. I also have to point out that it wasn't my intention to be offensive... but that's not the point.

Oh well... Live and learn, I wont be making that mistake again!

So, there wont be 'Redskins' book but there might be a 'Skinwalker' book at some time in the future.

FWIW I just got my grubby mitts on a copy of "Aces High" along with a few other monographs. Looking forward to reading it!

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Redskins!

Redskins is a bad word, and I used it exclusively with almost no thought. Or rather, I thought it sounded cool and wanted the AH book to 'flow' so I found every instance of Native, American and Indian (and any combination) and changed it to Redskin, but I have been told it is offensive. Which I think I understand. However, having never seen a real american indian, other than in movies, I was treating them like a mythical race, like a wendigo or an ogre or some other fantastic race. But they are real, and understandably a bit touchy about this kind of causal thoughtlessness. I also have to point out that it wasn't my intention to be offensive... but that's not the point.

Oh well... Live and learn, I wont be making that mistake again!

So, there wont be 'Redskins' book but there might be a 'Skinwalker' book at some time in the future.

You know what your problem was don't you ? You weren't offensive enough to everybody equally If you'd just called all the white people 'palefaces' you'd have been fine ;-D

Seriously though, don't let it put you off doing more material. I really liked Aces High. It's pretty obvious you've done extensive reading about Amerindian tribes, mythology and folklore ( in itself I'd of thought that showed an interest that ran against any accusations of rascism )

Anyway, more stuff would be welcome. Maybe you could do regional books focusing on various parts of the old west ? Mississippi valley, great plains , western deserts, rocky mountains etc etc. You could look at geography, history, tribes, ( including magical traditions ), flora and fauna , supernatural creatures and spirits. A bit like the old MERP campaign modules if you're familiar with them , but for Aces High

• 1 month later...

I got AH in the past month and am starting the campaign this Friday. I've got to say thank you (it didn't hurt that both AMC and TCM both had Western specials as of late).

We'll see how it plays out though.

Two concerns/questions though:

1: I wouldn't have minded some hints/examples for pulling off a train/stagecoach robbery (such as The War Wagon with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas).

2: Would you suggest bringing over the Core BRP Spot Rule for Dueling in AH, or leave it separate? I'm just curious.

I got AH in the past month and am starting the campaign this Friday.

Thank you and welcome aboard.

1: I wouldn't have minded some hints/examples for pulling off a train/stagecoach robbery (such as The War Wagon with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas).

I see you've already found the Wild West chases thread. Some heavy hitters in there offering some sound advice, don't think I could be more specific myself. Personally I tend to run my games with 'relaxed' rules, they're guide lines. If the situation demands a train robbery I'll offer the incident with appropriate rolls based on how hard or easy I want to make it. I would probably give my players two or three chances to fail! A ride roll, followed by a jump, followed by a luck roll if necessary. If they fail the ride they can't even catch up with the train, if they fail the jump roll they throw themselves off their horse, if they fail their Luck roll they land on the track...

Don't think I've seen the War Wagon, I might have to check it out...

2: Would you suggest bringing over the Core BRP Spot Rule for Dueling in AH, or leave it separate? I'm just curious.

Are you talking about Quick Draws (p230 BRP)? I had a parallel set of rules which we dropped for the AH book because they were very similar. Rather than use the Spot skill, I used Insight. Which I thought represented seeing the intention to draw rather than actually seeing the draw. However, the Quick Draw rules in BRP work, I have no objection to them and most characters have a higher Spot skill than Insight. But then I can be quite cruel when I'm running a game...

If the character has the Fast Draw skill (p16AH) or you are using the Shoot from Hip option (p17AH) you might want to give them a bonus to their Dex for the BRP Quick Draw.

Basically, if you want to do it... do it!

• 2 months later...

Extraordinary People - The James Younger Gang

A small freebie taster download. Hopefully one of many more to come.

Meet the James and Younger gang, a notorious gang of Outlaws that rained havock on seven states between 1868 and 1882. Learn of their violent lives, fight beside them or, if you dare, against them!

Read details of the firearms they used, learn the skills of a Bushwhacker, see what True Grit truly represents.

Edited by MrJealousy
Website Update

Interesting.....are you sure about the Colt 1860 being .38 though ? I always thought it was .44 calibre.

:) Nope! You're quite right. That is a historical error from the AH book, curse my sloppy research. But I've updated the pdf so I think we might have got away with it without anybody noticing ;)

I do have 'The History of the Gun, 1600 to 1900' on my to do list. But I am no gun nut and thats a lot of work about a subject I don't know a great deal about... at the moment. However, I seem to be collecting a lot of reference books which could be useful for this project and, I joined my local gun club just so I could buy, own and shoot a colt dragoon. Which is a lot of fun, huge bang, big puff of smoke and a hole about an inch across in the target.

So the idea is there and I think the format for the weapons will be more like those in the James Younger pamphlet than in the AH mono.

• 3 months later...

Well just got the Golden BRP book (returning to my roots) and after a long talk with the players over what type of campaign to start with. We ended up with deciding on a Wild West campaign with suparnatural influences. I will run it as a regular Wild West campaign but throw in strange stuff now and then to keep the players on their toes. Just ordered the Aces High pdf to check it out and have only skimmed through it but so far seem to be exactly what I needed for my campaign. Also have Devil's Gulch on the way in the mail. I remembered a popular system less adventure I ran at a convention some time way back with GURPS named Cray Canyon Cold Snap. Also found a lot of official material and adventures on page dedicated to a swedish rpg called Western that could easily be used. Seems like the campaign can become a very long one with the amount of material I have found so far.

I can't help to post another movie suggestion for you Cowboys and Aliens so now we have a wild west movie with ninjas and another one with aliens.

Once I can afford it I will order a print of Aces High. As I live in Sweden the postage is a little steep for a single book and it have to wait when I have the funds to spare. But once I have read through the book more properly I will probably post a review of it too.

So far it looks very promising.

Edited by Chorpa

just got the Golden BRP book (returning to my roots)

Let me be the first to welcome you back!

will run it as a regular Wild West campaign but throw in strange stuff now and then to keep the players on their toes.

Excellent! That's exactly what I try to do.

I'm checking it out now...

Seems like the campaign can become a very long one with the amount of material I have found so far.

Let me know how it goes.

I spotted this a while back but then kind of forgot about it. It may be time to have another look.

Once I can afford it I will order a print of Aces High. As I live in Sweden the postage is a little steep for a single book...

I always prefer the hard copies myself and I live in the UK so post is also a deciding factor on what monographs I buy too.

will probably post a review of it too.

Please do. I'm always interested in what people have to say. In some cases it does directly influence what I'm working on next. I really believe in learning from mistakes and I know I made a few with the AH book, hopefully the next one will be better because of the feed back (both positive and negative!). I'm no expert or professional at this kind of thing. I do it for fun, and I hope the people that buy the product have fun with it. That's all I can hope for really.

Well I obviously agree with that statement;D But the AH book mainly deals with Native myth, so no actual Cthulhu, but there is a wendigo... actually there's a couple... or maybe more...

And chickens... don't forget the chickens.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"