Lunar campaign in Dragon Pass

Eagle Talon

Another immediate inspiration for a "Heartlanders-in-the-Provinces" campaign- Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China. You have no idea what the hell you walked into, but your third eyes are firmly open their eyelids are wiggling very strongly indeed, and that's all you need, right? 

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

10 hours ago, Eagle Talon said:

I am looking for interesting ideas for a new campaign. The setting will be around 1627 in Dragon Pass after Argrath lights the flame of Sartar. 

However the PCs will be Lunars from the heartlands drawn into the conflict. The main focus will be adventuring while fighting for the victory of the Red Goddess against the rebel gods. 

So the war is viewed differently than usual. Now viewed from the Lunar side. I’m not considering the published material describing the future of Dragon Pass (past 1627) but instead concentrating on how my Glorantha may vary. 

Any good ideas for Lunar PCs in such an environnement? 

Heartlanders sent to the Provinces are going to be trying to stabilise the situation in the Provinces. By 1627, Aggar is in full rebellion, much of Vanch and Imther are in rebellion, parts of Holay are effectively independent, and Tarsh is divided between King Pharandros and Fazzur Wideread. You have a lot going on. The tempo speeds up faster when news comes in1628 that the Red Emperor is coming to Tarsh, along with Jar-eel the Razoress. Schemes, plots, and manouevres - and then the Battle of Heroes. To the shock of everyone, the rebels counter everything the Lunar Army traditionally uses to win its battles - magicians, cavalry, and even a monstrous god-monster who can take down Jar-eel. The battle is a rout and the Red Emperor needs bodyguards to get him rapidly to Mirin's Cross and then Glamour.

And then the real campaign begins.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Heartlanders sent to the Provinces are going to be trying to stabilise the situation in the Provinces. By 1627, Aggar is in full rebellion, much of Vanch and Imther are in rebellion, parts of Holay are effectively independent, and Tarsh is divided between King Pharandros and Fazzur Wideread. You have a lot going on.

Not only the Provinces in rebellion, but the whole Lunar Provincial Administration is effectively gone, both administratively (Appius Luxius) and magically (Icilius Overholy and the leadership of the 7 Mothers).  Communication between Mirin's Cross and the Heartlands is gone.  What's happened to the tribute due?  What's happened to the treasures in Mirin's Cross?  Can communication be reestablished with Pharandros?  Can supplies get to Tarsh through the rebels and bandits now plaguing the provinces and along the river?

• Like 1

Yeah, this is why sending in a party of imperial troubleshooters who think they're empowered (with resources back home they can reliably call on, local rulers and forces who'll be at their beck and call, a meaningful understanding of local mythology, and so on and so forth) is so appealing to me. Warlordism beckons, and might even become the adventurers' best option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Become rich and the Red Emperor's best friends!

Which Red Emperor? Canny GMs have all sorts of rug-pulling action lined up for Season Two.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Leverage has five archetypes

Big shout out to Nick for recommending Leverage!

Lunars, being more "modern" in feel, fit it well with a lot more TV / movie action / thriller tropes.  There's always some evil conspiracy somewhere...

One of my characters was, essentially, La Femme Nikita.  Spy / assassin working for a small secret agency reporting to Jar-Eel.  Another PC was an undercover Danfive political officer, and man, did we have fun together!  The other PCs thought he was a dumb Bisos fighter and I was the Yanafal NCO 2nd in command.

• Like 2

Did I mention that I’ve been intermittently working on a Gloranthan Bond movie scenario, starring Count Julan? My working title is “The Spy Who Foxed Me,” though I did consider both “Moonfall” and “RuneMaker.”

872D407F-96F5-4447-BC66-05B238ACD06D.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

That guy sure gets around - both James Bond and Batman!

I think you’ve been misinformed. Maybe someone else has Count Julan as Batman? Ours was always Paulis Longvale.

(I do partner Julan with a Blue Moon Assassin who’s a dead ringer for the Huntress in my scenario, mind, but that’s just the way I roll)

• Like 1