Father Rat

Godlearner

8 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

In Strangers in Prax, Arlaten had bragged about defeating the cult of Father Rat in the city of Wolfbood.

Is there any more information anywhere on this cult or the situation in Wolfbood? How often do Malkeoni have to suppress outbreaks of this (or such) cults?

Probably came out of Mike Dawson's campaigns since he developed Arlaten.  There might be more in the Codex fanzines but I don't recall, and don't have them immediately accessible.

Wolfblood is in southern Ralios towards Tanisor.  See the Guide p.387: "Wolfblood (small city): The keep of this ancient city was built by a Dawn Age wizard who used wolf blood instead of water for the mortar. Tucked away amid difficult hills, it has an ancient reputation for the ferocity of its inhabitants in its defense. For several centuries it has also been the seat for the Counts of Daran."

2 hours ago, Godlearner said:

In Strangers in Prax, Arlaten had bragged about defeating the cult of Father Rat in the city of Wolfbood.

Is there any more information anywhere on this cult or the situation in Wolfbood? How often do Malkeoni have to suppress outbreaks of this (or such) cults?

1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

Do you know if there are Wererats in Glorantha?

Nothing has been officially written up for a rat-deity or wererats, but there is no reason why Glorantha wouldn't have them.

I can see a Rat Cult and wererats being found in Nochet, especially in the sewers.

One of the Hero Wars or HeroQuest supplements had an episode where you met a rat/mouse deity, or its avatar, a very odd scenario.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

Is this the one with the Fort of Doors? I ran that one in the past, but in it Brother Mouse was more of a Eurmal type figure 

I can't remember, to be honest. It might be in one of the HW supplements that I don't have as PDFs.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

Yes, its possible or caught behind the enemy lines so to speak. But, I am also thinking of Chaos connection and or a Thief cult similar to Black Fang.

Given that many Malkionized Hsunchen have become specific warrior fellowships in Ralios, it's possible that a Rat Hsunchen group survived as an underground, subaltern thievery fellowship. Probably not a "cult" in the strictly theistic sense of the word, but if it's a closed-off group that has a close contact with an otherworldly patron entity the difference is mostly in game mechanics. 

This is up to you, of course, just mentioning that Ralios offers a ready pattern to emulate, if you so desire.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Given that many Malkionized Hsunchen have become specific warrior fellowships in Ralios, it's possible that a Rat Hsunchen group survived as an underground, subaltern thievery fellowship. Probably not a "cult" in the strictly theistic sense of the word, but if it's a closed-off group that has a close contact with an otherworldly patron entity the difference is mostly in game mechanics. 

This is up to you, of course, just mentioning that Ralios offers a ready pattern to emulate, if you so desire.

Agreed, although in this specific case Arlaten mentions a Priest, a Champion and a Temple and calls them idolaters. Sounds more like a theistic cult. (p64 in Strangers in Prax)

Just now, Godlearner said:

Agreed, although in this specific case Arlaten mentions a Priest, a Champion and a Temple and calls them idolaters. Sounds more like a theistic cult. (p64 in Strangers in Prax)

I supose you could assume Arlaten is an unreliable/ignorant narrator, but beyond that this does indeed seem theistic.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

I can see a Rat Cult and wererats being found in Nochet, especially in the sewers.

I had a Rat Queen in the sewers of Nochet when I was running a campaign there.  Didn't include wererats, just her ability to summon and control them.  

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

One of the Hero Wars or HeroQuest supplements had an episode where you met a rat/mouse deity, or its avatar, a very odd scenario.

In the HW Narrator's Book, the scenario called The Food Thief, IIRC.  Deity was Velet Bolter, a mouse god.  The mouseholes are very handy and can go all sorts of places (like the Underworld).

2 hours ago, Godlearner said:

I think its pretty open to use how you wish.  Could be a local version of Lanbril with the Priest known as Father Rat.  Could be a rare Hsunchen cult hiding out in the urban setting.  Could be a spirit cult ala Black Fang.  Or perhaps a cult more like Yinkin and Odayla, but associated with either Argan Argar or Xentha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Or perhaps a cult more like Yinkin and Odayla, but associated with either Argan Argar or Xentha.

I forget where I read it, but I seem to recall that rats are already a cult creature of Argan Argar.

e: to the extent that rats were suggested creature for binding cult spirits to familiars

Edited by dumuzid

2 hours ago, dumuzid said:

I forget where I read it, but I seem to recall that rats are already a cult creature of Argan Argar.

Yes, they are.  Possibly it was in RQ3 Gods of Glorantha.  

Edit: Yes, it was RQ3 GoG.  Page 20 has a table of what each cult uses to house Allied Spirits, and Argan Argar uses the rat. 

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...