How to become immortal (RQG Stat + heroquest myths or other means)

Years ago, I read somewhere* that hill of gold quest reward could be immortality, if you are Yelmalio.

But how other people (and even yelmalio) can gain immortality ? (an orlanthi, for example...)

I believe that an Hero( aka with enough worshippers) could manage to leave the mundane world to stay "for ever" in the hero plane, but how to become immortal (or at least not touched by time) in the mundane world?

And how could it be "translated" in rqg stats ? does that mean you have death rune at 0 ? or another rune at 100 ? or ... is it just an heroic ability ?

* maybe @soltakss site, by the way the only site I used for a decade, so thank a lot for that sir ! 

We do not share the same philosophy about stats in rq, but I definitly like your stories

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Years ago, I read somewhere* that hill of gold quest reward could be immortality, if you are Yelmalio.

That is one of the traditional rewards, if you do it properly.

8 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

But how other people (and even yelmalio) can gain immortality ? (an orlanthi, for example...)

Arcane Lore, I think has immortality as one of the rewards of becoming a Hero.

9 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I believe that an Hero( aka with enough worshippers) could manage to leave the mundane world to stay "for ever" in the hero plane, but how to become immortal (or at least not touched by time) in the mundane world?

Becoming ageless might happen if you move to the God Plane permanently, as time does not pass there.

9 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

And how could it be "translated" in rqg stats ? does that mean you have death rune at 0 ? or another rune at 100 ? or ... is it just an heroic ability ?

Heroic Ability - You do not age. So, your characteristics don't wither with age, you don't physically age, you don't look older.

10 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

* maybe @soltakss site, by the way the only site I used for a decade, so thank a lot for that sir ! 

Thanks, glad you found it useful.

11 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

We do not share the same philosophy about stats in rq, but I definitly like your stories

If everyone agreed about everything it would be a boring world.

• Like 7

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well becoming vampire grants you immortality too, though you are not really alive anymore. 

Sorcery and alchemy can make you immortal, but it would most probably need periodic rituals or taking an immortality potion every certain time for them to maintain the effects.

I wouldn't say you loose the Death rune, it not only means the mortality of the subject. Hell Humakt is immortal and he owns the Death rune so. 

• Thanks 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

5 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Clearly Ethilrist is an example of a hero who has achieved some level of agelessness.  Not necessarily the same as immortality, but that is likely an heroic ability.

Harrek, Jar-eel, and Androgeus seem to be another level as they have gained the Infinity Rune and thus seem to be "anchored" into the Godtime's "timeless" world.  Immortality in that sense is like Argrath's ultimate quest - as it states in King of Sartar, that story is "how one man became a god". 

Part of this would seem to tie in with the Hero Soul - having part of your soul in the Godtime.  Perhaps once you have more power stored in the Godtime than in the mortal world you have reached this level?  (I don't think it has anything to do with the level of your Runes though, except perhaps for gaining the Infinity Rune.)

• Thanks 1

thinking about my own question... I had another idea... But I m not convinced...

Let's say a character just died and will soon meet Daka Fal, aka the first dead, if I am not wrong.

If the character can prove Daka Fal is not his ancestor, what happens? should Daka Fal send back him  to the mundane world ?

well there is an issue with age (what about becoming a liche, arg not good) but at least the character could not die ?

32 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Let's say a character just died and will soon meet Daka Fal, aka the first dead, if I am not wrong.

If the character can prove Daka Fal is not his ancestor, what happens? should Daka Fal send back him  to the mundane world ?

Daka Fal is not just Grandfather Mortal, he is also the Judge of the Dead - that is, the Judge of ALL the Dead.  Everyone who dies comes to his Court and their lives are weighed and measured.  If one of the gods speaks for you, and you are found worthy, you are released to that deity's afterlife.  Those whom no one speaks for are most likely gathered into Ty Kora Tek's Court of Silence, as she tends the unmourned dead.  Those who are deemed unworthy are cast into one of the Hells of the world for eternity.

So, no, Daka Fal will not send them back to the mundane world as they are still dead.

2 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

So, no, Daka Fal will not send them back to the mundane world as they are still dead.

but how can they be dead if they are not mortal

The logic I had was :

you (daka fal) are not my ancestor. So as you are the first mortal and the ancestor of all mortals (*) I cannot be mortal. If I am not mortal, I cannot be dead. I am here for others reasons and I want to go back home, not in any death place.

(* that is the point i don't know)

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

but how can they be dead if they are not mortal

If you are not dead, why did you walk the Road of Silence to the Court of Judgment?  That's where you meet Daka Fal.

Even most of the gods died.  About the only ones you could say did not are those of the Sky Dome (Dayzatar, Ourania, Polaris) or those of the Underworld (Subere, etc.) or the True Dragons.

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

So as you are the first mortal and the ancestor of all mortals (*)

Grandfather Mortal was the first MAN, and the ancestor of all those who bear the Man Rune.  Yes, he was also the first to die, but remember that Death was stolen, and many others died including gods.  He is not the ancestor of all those who died (i.e. mortals).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Grandfather Mortal was the first MAN, and the ancestor of all those who bear the Man Rune.  Yes, he was also the first to die, but remember that Death was stolen, and many others died including gods.  He is not the ancestor of all those who died (i.e. mortals).

Ok that was my mistake then.

True agelessness, as opposed to eternal heroic existence on the Hero Plane, seems to be pretty hard in Glorantha. Even people like Belintar and the Red Emperor do sequential body immortality instead.

(And then there’s Vadeli/Brithini/Mostali, but that’s not the kind of agelessness anyone else can pick up. Nor in most cases, want.)

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2021 at 6:34 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

On 2/21/2021 at 6:46 PM, soltakss said:

So... you get to be a loser forever??

On 2/22/2021 at 1:19 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

On 2/22/2021 at 5:58 AM, jajagappa said:

If you are not dead, why did you walk the Road of Silence to the Court of Judgment?  That's where you meet Daka Fal.

Trickster LIE - "Hey DF, I'm not supposed to be here - can you send me back?"

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Trickster LIE - "Hey DF, I'm not supposed to be here - can you send me back?"

definitly, but I was thinking about a guy who voluntarily  took the gea "never lie" (not a yelamlian, do not humiliate him !)

I had the idea of the filiation between the guy (human) and Daka Fal but if Daka Fal is not the only one who gives a so nice attribute to his progeny... I have an issue

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:
On 2/21/2021 at 10:46 AM, soltakss said:

Yes, one of the drawbacks of completing the Hill of Gold HeroQuest as Yelmalio is that you get to be a Yelmalian forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Are you though?  When all other lights in the world have gone out, everything else has died, you remain, and is it not your prayers and meditations that bring the world back to life?  That brings the Sun back from the Underworld?  Is this not the ultimate Life test?  That when everything is lost, you can still find your way to take the step forward and continue living?

Well, as the survivor of the Hill of Gold, you get stuck in a permanent Greater Darkness shape. You become indestructable and don't age any more. Do you still change?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Except that winning the Hill of Gold is not an apotheosis. Or is it?

You emerge as a demigod, perfectly bound into the role of the successful survivor of the Hill of Gold. You return to your people, who now have a solar guardian to put between themselves and any Chaos foe, and a great number of other foes.

You aren't immune to damage, and may be dismembered or even eaten in whichever altercation you may have with enemies. You'll return next sunrise, healed, ready to engage again. The battle may have been lost in your absence.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

16 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Are you though?

Yep!

When all other lights in the world have gone out,

Except Elmal...

everything else has died, you remain,

Well, except for the Lightbringers who brought your sorry ass back to the world 😛

is it not your prayers and meditations that bring the world back to life? 

Nope...

That brings the Sun back from the Underworld?

Orlanth and co....

Is this not the ultimate Life test?

Not really...  That'd be - to survive (and thrive) without someone else's help.

That when everything is lost, you can still find your way to take the step forward and continue living?

Oh, you're talking about Issaries - sorry, my bad!

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Well, except for the Lightbringers

They are dead too.  They say that they came back to life because they compromised with Yelm, but they were still dead.  Who's to say it was not the prayers of the living Yelmalio which lit their spark and reawoke them?  We should believe Eurmal? 😉

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

They are dead too.

When I posted this, I wished to have some solution to become ageless. Finally, I gain more knowledge thas expected (but not yet good option except... perhaps.... this point...)

I believed the lightbringers decided to go alive into the Hell !

How did their death happen ? Did they leave their life when they passed the western gate ?

I saw it like Orpheus visiting the underworld, alive among the deads

5 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I believed the lightbringers decided to go alive into the Hell !

How did their death happen ? Did they leave their life when they passed the western gate ?

I saw it like Orpheus visiting the underworld, alive among the deads

It's a debated question, but Death is required to pass the western gate or the other underworld crossings.  Now, they aren't quite dead in the same way and seem to have some additional free will along the way, but I believe they all "died" in some way/capacity during the Underworld passage too.

8 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

It's a debated question, but Death is required to pass the western gate or the other underworld crossings.  Now, they aren't quite dead in the same way and seem to have some additional free will along the way, but I believe they all "died" in some way/capacity during the Underworld passage too.

when a lore master answer contains "debat", my wings lose feathers. I don't want to become a ... statischild.. or worse a human !