is This Fay Jee?

kr0p0s

22 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Also kind of reminds me of that one chaos god whose eye is either the sun or the whole sky, though I don't remember their name.

Yelm? 😉

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 2 years later...

In lieu of starting a new Fay Jee Trade thread I assume this is as good place...

Fay Jee is ruled by an ambitious Trader Prince who seeks to supplant Handra as a commercial center. We are looking at sabilizing/reestablishing the ties between the Caprati of Nochet with Fay Jee & Peelos.

With the idea that before the closing there may have been a trade route from Nochet to Fay Jee but due to tribute/bandits the southern coast was more equitable after the opening until the pirates made that to risky?

There seems to be a viable caravan route across land but mostly up and down rivers that doesn't have incredible elevation changes. Its about 315 miles as an estimate.

Fay Jee, Fort Digger, Bath, Kithma, Solung, Thelos, Jorsh and Rhigos before Nochet.

Sailing is about 530 miles but is much faster depending on wind and a much larger cargo could be carried but the pirates?

We will tie this trade venture into the old Huts of Darkness scenario by MOB from TotRM 09 as well as all the good stuff in Blood Over Gold.

image.jpeg.1ee81ac96c0924220e19ea77b76de655.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So reading in some other threads posted on trade and of course continue reading the GtG.

I found The Manirian Road write up which helps a lot.

The GtG states: Caravans of mules transport iron, teas, kafl leaf, hazia, slaves, textiles, fine glassware, and other luxuries produced in Seshnela and Ralios.

Where would the largest number of slaves be taken from and what might their destination be?

Is there a Wenelian equivalent to say Pimper's block?

Would there be any slave trade to Wenelia or is it mostly east bound heading to the Holy Country and the Lunar Empire?

2 hours ago, metcalph said:

Solanthi captives as Greymane

I did read that but am curious is Fay Jee a slaver's port or is there another location like Pimper's Block in Wenelia? Also are the up river slaves mainly going east from Fay Jee if that is the case.

It could be that Peelo is that city? It seems a little more reclusive and so possibly more sleazy... or then again both of them could have a slave market of sorts?

31 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I did read that but am curious is Fay Jee a slaver's port or is there another location like Pimper's Block in Wenelia? Also are the up river slaves mainly going east from Fay Jee if that is the case.

It could be that Peelo is that city? It seems a little more reclusive and so possibly more sleazy... or then again both of them could have a slave market of sorts?

The slaves quote was about the Manirian Road.  Both Fay Jee and Peelo are not on the Manirian Road.  As near as I can make out, the Road extends from Highwater to Yolanda.  It's not likely to go through Ryzel so will probably go to Selgos, where Castelain is buried, and then to Ferry, the Temple of Peace and Solanthi lands proper.  Slaves would probably be bought in there, perhaps Yellowstone, as that's where most of the war captives would be.  It seems odd for the Solanthi to ship their captives to be sold at places outside their control.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Slaves would probably be bought in there, perhaps Yellowstone, as that's where most of the war captives would be.  It seems odd for the Solanthi to ship their captives to be sold at places outside their control.  

Agree, the Solanthi would just have local markets for their captives. Yellowstone seems likely. Saltcastle for the Ditali. 

The Pralori may also be taking captives during raids into Ralios or Caratan and then sell them to merchants heading east - probably at Highwater. Slaves might be put to use as porters during the journey and then sold as field laborers in Esrolia.

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Would there be any slave trade to Wenelia or is it mostly east bound heading to the Holy Country and the Lunar Empire?

The Solanthi or Pralori would just take slaves in raids - no need to buy such. But they will sell, and those would be heading to the Holy Country, primarily Esrolia.

4 hours ago, metcalph said:

The slaves quote was about the Manirian Road.  Both Fay Jee and Peelo are not on the Manirian Road. 

I agree with that but in 1600 the opening of the seas had allowed water borne trade (slaves as part of this) to flourish and avoid the tribute/tariffs/whatever to the barbarians. Not until a bit later did the pirates become dangerous enough to walk the trade route again?

I was guessing the Manirian Road had seen its zenith by 1590 as sea trade increased, until the Wolf Pirates forced them inland again...

The GtG was saying the slaves were being sent to the Holy Country and the Lunar Empire, was guessing it would have been by ship (1590-1610 is our window) and thus some ports would have prospered once again that is until the pirates' resurgence. With Greymane's First Raid against Esrolia occuring in 1614 per the Wiki, I am gaming that from about 1590-1610 sea trade is at its high tide. (great pun no)

Again was trying to tie, Huts of Darkness, Blood Over Gold and maybe even some fun with the Baron into a few trading ventures along the coast.

Appreciate the discussion and input as always Sirs!

39 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I agree with that but in 1600 the opening of the seas had allowed water borne trade (slaves as part of this) to flourish and avoid the tribute/tariffs/whatever to the barbarians. Not until a bit later did the pirates become dangerous enough to walk the trade route again?

I'm not seeing the evidence for water-borne trade in slaves.  If the Solanthi had a port then possibly but they don't.  I'm extremely skeptical about the long-distance traffic in slaves, especially to places like the Lunar Empire.  There's too many lawless and hostile areas in which human transport is extremely risky.

For example, the Solanthi have some Esrolian slaves which they seek to sell in Lunar Markets.  How are they going to get them into the Lunar Empire?  The first country they go through is... Esrolia.  You see the problem?  The Trans-Atlantic trade was  far simpler in that you had a big boat going most of the distance.

The main sources of cargo vessels in Maniria are the Esrolians and the Seshnegi, neither known as slave-traders.  The Wolf Pirates might be willing to dump their excess in Handra and Fay Jee but such places would be far more likely to convert the slave price into a denture ("we freed you now pay us") rather than have a sizable population of slaves.  The Fonritans and Vadeli might but neither are present in Maniria in large numbers.

Pimper's Block was significant because it was a traditional trading place and also because the Lunar Empire had a huge need for captive labour to build the Temple of the Reaching Moon.  I'm not seeing a similar motivation for widespread slave trade in Maniria other than prisoners of war taken by the Solanthi and Pralori.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, metcalph said:

How are they going to get them into the Lunar Empire? 

I  was searching for something like Pimper's block in Wenelia. If there isn't or its relatively local then so be it. Thought down the river to Fay Jee, as it was a trade center?

The Trans-Atlantic trade was  far simpler in that you had a big boat going most of the distance.

That was my point with Fay Jee, I am guessing its no more than 500 miles tp Nochet from Fay Jee whereas the Atlantic say west coast Africa to Florida is about 4,500 miles. (Strange enough google says Maine is closer to Africa than Florida, never thought of that... makes sense with sphere shape, etc.) Better 500 miles by boat than 400 by land, faster and more cost effective?

The main sources of cargo vessels in Maniria are the Esrolians and the Seshnegi, neither known as slave-traders. 

I felt the same on this as well.

The Wolf Pirates might be willing to dump their excess in Handra and Fay Jee but such places would be far more likely to convert the slave price into a denture ("we freed you now pay us") rather than have a sizable population of slaves.

I do like this and it fits with what we are looking to do. Coastal raiders take captives and sell them at Fay Jee or , they earn their freedom as an indentured serf or something like that.

Thanks again.

For pure adventure seed reasons, I would have a delegation of Vadeli in Fay Jee buying slaves  and shipping them to places unknown. Good background evil if you need something bad to happen. It would also mean slave caravans from Yellowstone to Fay Jee, or Esrolians going to Fay Jee to ransom family from the Vadeli, or even hire someone to negotiate with the Solanthi to ransom a captive. I can easily see such a Brown Vadeli go-between, specialized in finding missing captives...

It makes sense to move slaves away from their homeland, so there may well be exchanges of Ralians and Esrolians among Solanthi and Pralori. The Romans did it all the time, as language is also a barrier to escape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JRE said:

For pure adventure seed reasons, I would have a delegation of Vadeli in Fay Jee buying slaves  and shipping them to places unknown.

That's good, these guys from far away taking a fair number of slaves, driving up the costs and they are even likely the ones behind the recent uptick in coastal raiding, entire steads are disappearing with little but suggestive guessing as to what happened to them... this is per Wolf Pirates so it works for us. Thanks!

On 7/9/2023 at 2:45 AM, JRE said:

For pure adventure seed reasons, I would have a delegation of Vadeli in Fay Jee buying slaves  and shipping them to places unknown. Good background evil if you need something bad to happen. It would also mean slave caravans from Yellowstone to Fay Jee, or Esrolians going to Fay Jee to ransom family from the Vadeli, or even hire someone to negotiate with the Solanthi to ransom a captive. I can easily see such a Brown Vadeli go-between, specialized in finding missing captives...

It also works well because the Trader Princes are failing, and Fay Jee desperately wants to replace Handra as the primary Manirian port.  That sort of desperation is the sort of thing the Vadeli can smell.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is there a best source to look at the Vadeli, likely I'll look at the GtG, all the old zines, etc. fandom and the well of daliath... assuming the taste of the Vadeli is out there in print?

The best sources aren't great...

I'd argue Revealed Mythologies is probably the best? Maybe the Guide, esp V.2?

They're a boogeyman that's 2 steps off camera.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nevermet said:

I'd argue Revealed Mythologies is probably the best? Maybe the Guide, esp V.2?

Picture of a Brown Vadeli merchant lounging around in the Guide p.510. And definitely some useful content on current Vadeli situation.

Best for background is Revealed Mythologies, but that is deep background/mythos.

There's also a bit on the Vadeli in Nick's History of Malkionism.

• Thanks 1