Backford Aeolian Campaign

Erol of Backford

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

I wonder whether the falling Blue Moon will actually increase the uphill current in the Syphon, as the pull would also befall the river's head into the Chaos hole in Foulblood Forest.

So the Syphn's flow would increase at high tide for sure.

It goes without saying that boats going to the Bay would want to return there when at low ide as the current might be less that is assuming there are no low or shallow water water locations. I assume the Heortland CCC would be there dredging and eliminating sand bars, etc. to keep the channel deep enough for trade shipping.

9 hours ago, Joerg said:

Rather than fish pens, my idea of coastal Kethaela are fish fences oriented against the quick flow.

I am guessing the pens/fences are adjacent to the river channel and water is "irrigated" to  supply them rather than being in the actual channel. (I know nothing about fish farming but I suppose its never to late to learn...)

The Eorl will do what they might to increase Backford's status as a trade center of course. Thank you for the input as aways.

32 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

It goes without saying that boats going to the Bay would want to return there when at low ide as the current might be less that is assuming there are no low or shallow water water locations. I assume the Heortland CCC would be there dredging and eliminating sand bars, etc. to keep the channel deep enough for trade shipping.

That's a reason Backford isn't a "sea" port - getting back "upstream" to the Bay is difficult. The flow is always in to the Footprint. There's no one who would have skills there for dredging and the coastline is rocky. You can probably get oxen to pull boats back towards the Bay, but only where there's banks along the river. 

• Sad 1

The Syphon has a channel deep enough to maintain a fish road throughout its course, although that may become uncomfortable and akin to spelunking as the river flattens out at the ford of Backford, and then climbing up cliffsides and meandering into the Stone Forest and Foulblood Forest.

My model for the ancient rivers are tendrils creeping inland but carrying the energies and nutrition back  to the Sea. This involves a structure of currents and counter-currents inside, the turbulent outer current pushing water up the land and eroding the soil when in contact, while there would remain a laminar inner current returning to the Heart of the Seas carrying the goodies. There may be interior zones of stillness or of stationary rotating loops, growing and shrinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, jajagappa said:

You can probably get oxen to pull boats back towards the Bay, but only where there's banks along the river.

There is in the works a tow path of course, I think we have it getting engineered in 1603-04 and work starting in 1605 follow the Building Wall Battle.

But lets face it, Glorantha is a magical place with Undines. If some small craft on the Zola Fel have undine power for going upstream large vessels with costly time sensitive cargo like fish or fresh produce would surely have magical propulsion.

Especially in the new RQ rules where characters get reusable rune magic much more time-cheaply then RQ3 where you at least needed to be an acolyte.

6 hours ago, Joerg said:

The Syphon has a channel deep enough to maintain a fish road throughout its course

So it surely doesn't get so rocky a boat could not pass... 

The big question is did the God-king use the fish road to get into and out of Hell? What type of craft did he deploy? Was it a Gato-class submarine? More likely it was like the old Captain Nemo's submarine. On the other hand, couldn't he just go to the underworld if he willed it?

image.png.423de1401b71223ba135cfde18a476dc.png

I keep going back to the submerged subway station entry to the fish road especially at Backford where the "real dimension" doesn't actually fit in the river channel.

Come to think of it wouldn't boats be able to run in the fish road? I think we spoke to this a long while back, why bother with the tow-path, just take the craft into the fish road...

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

But lets face it, Glorantha is a magical place with Undines.

True, undine power is a possibility as long as you've invested in the summon and command spells (and don't mind spending the Rune points).

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

True, undine power is a possibility as long as you've invested in the summon and command spells (and don't mind spending the Rune points).

Or have a sorcerer on your crew with a good MP supply. There's a reason why the two most dominant sea powers (Waertagi and the MSE) have been Malkioni!

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

a good MP supply

The Great Crystal: Only a 10x5 meter face of this great crystal is revealed, but it's bulk is many time greater. Most remarkably, the crystal glows dully as though it has been attuned. The idea that someone of something might be attuned to such a mammoth crystal and draw power and magic from it should trouble the dreams of any Gloranthan...

7 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So it surely doesn't get so rocky a boat could not pass... 

The big question is did the God-king use the fish road to get into and out of Hell? What type of craft did he deploy? Was it a Gato-class submarine? More likely it was like the old Captain Nemo's submarine. On the other hand, couldn't he just go to the underworld if he willed it?

The point of the fish road is that you can travel the sea (or river) bottom as if it was a road on dry land. No special vessels required.

Theoretically, walkers could tow a submersible that did not pass through the nexus but was brought into the Fish Road waters from regular waters.

Come to think of it - the Syphon part of the Fish Road might serve as a towing path.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

18 hours ago, Joerg said:

Come to think of it - the Syphon part of the Fish Road might serve as a towing path.

I was thinking this as well, why dredge, construct and maintain tow paths on the surface when they exist for you already?

So when you come out of the fish road is everything and everyone soaking wet or do you magically become dry... or is there a giant air curtain that dries you as you exist like in a car wash? Could there be a swarm of water elementals that pull all the water off you and your items as you exit?

Maybe its like chilled water system with a supply and return? Does the water flow the same speed in both directions or is it sitting still in the fish-road-tube-thingy?

Actually the items/vessel regardless would fit and so who cares about dredging if the fish road transports everything no matter the size?

The dwarves developed the Trim VX model fishroad pod car which flows with the current and can be customized to look like a fish? Maybe its steam powered? 

We spoke to this earlier in the thread... I keep going back to the old D&D Module D2, you wade into or guide your craft, wagon, whatever into the shrine water which is like a subway station and somehow become acclimated to the being able to breathe an function under water.

Obviously the currents would assist you (like in Finding Nemo) in both directions or you'd be moving very slowly and then what's the point?

image.png.82f85054928d99fa07040723231d1ae8.png image.png.d84ae80a0bb8ed4903d9fbfa6f2a3ade.png image.png.75864e678ae9551a34b01e231d53e9e3.png

From the House Campaign p.79: PHARAOH’S GAZETTE - SEA SEASON/1620 THE HOLY COUNTRY NEWS Late Edition

PEASANT REBELLIONS IN HENDREIKI - Everywhere else in the province the peasants have taken up arms and murdered the new knights when they can. 

Where are these "new knights" from? Who are they, who leads them? King Rickard?

I think some of this is where I got the notion that the Aeolians were suppressing the pagan Oranthi and stealing their idols when they discovered them.

Backford at blue arrow.

image.png.0c22cf54a56babbd9dcfcaf6d4da8181.png

Where are these "new knights" from? Who are they, who leads them? King Rickard?

I think some of this is where I got the notion that the Aeolians were suppressing the pagan Oranthi and stealing their idols when they discovered them.

Obviously this is from the very, very early RQ days when there was still a lot of cross-over. But, yes, these would be Rikard's western allies (and not the local Aeolians). 

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 5:58 PM, jajagappa said:

"Greenwood is noted for its eponymous woods which remain green year-round, and for a nearby copper mine."

Noting Greenwood, is there a "best map" of the woods - wooded areas along the Heortland Plateau? Have AAA and the Sartar Companion which shows Bullpen, non canon and so assuming the areas shown as wooded are not as extensive as shown?

image.png.48ac3130d9c84f435c0f42f726d032c7.png image.png.98d9975685c9dec1b8bdbafce8869a72.png

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2024 at 8:31 PM, jajagappa said:

At the moment, the Argan Argar atlas map that you included above is the "best map".

Is there a way to get a "teaser map" of the Plateau? Might the Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook be on sale at the Con next week?

I am looking at placing several scenarios near Backford of course and hope to acquire this very promising release near future.

It there were a presale with a map link that would be quite nice....

13 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is there a way to get a "teaser map" of the Plateau?

What Jeff has previously shared on FB and available in the Well of Daliath is it: Heortland Map

14 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Might the Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook be on sale at the Con next week?

I've no insight where it is in the queue at this point, but definitely not part of this year's releases.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

Heortland Map

I am such a nerd, it's the background on my laptop with Backford just left of center.

You had named some villages or towns a while back, one with a mine, located not too far from Backford IIRC and so was hoping some forward progress was being made on the books release.

Forgive me for saying this but as I have being gaming off and on in Glorantha for many years I am much more interested in new yet to be published material than renovations or enhancements of material previously or partly released...

Will keep waiting for the Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook but hope it's not going to take as long as Hero Questing rules... Thank you once again Jaja!

6 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Forgive me for saying this but as I have being gaming off and on in Glorantha for many years I am much more interested in new yet to be published material than renovations or enhancements of material previously or partly released...

Will keep waiting for the Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook but hope it's not going to take as long as Hero Questing rules...

There's a lot of good content in the RQ pipeline - we just have to patiently wait to see what proceeds through the queue.

In the meantime, there's lots of good stuff in the Jonstown Compendium! Take a side venture over to Nochet or a sea journey off to Teshnos and the East Isles. 🙂 

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 3:08 PM, jajagappa said:

Take a side venture over to Nochet or a sea journey off to Teshnos and the East Isles. 🙂 

I already have a 2' section of shelf space from the Jonstown Compendium including Nochet...

Been waiting for the Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook to come along, its amazing its in queue at all so I'll just keep hoping!

Edited by Erol of Backford

Been waiting for the Heortland & Hendrikland sourcebook to come along, its amazing its in queue at all so I'll just keep hoping!

I think Chaosium's intent is a series of regional sourcebooks for Dragon Pass and Prax.

Sartar, of course, comes first. But there's a lot of content in the queue after that, so we'll wait and see.

• Like 1