Backford Aeolian Campaign

Erol of Backford

40 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Some of the Aeolian zzaburi work with the Emanation of Darkness and undoubtedly, they want specific substances related to Darkness to enhance the efficacy of their spells. 

Black Arkati you can be sure... (or will be in our Glorantha!)

43 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Argan Argar is one of the Emanations of the Invisible God, and there exists the Night Temple upon the right foot of the Mount Passant itself (just as Ehilm's Temple sits at an equivalent point on the left foot of the mountain).

I wonder if Mt. Passant isn't Orta's older brother? Night Temple (cave) at Right Foot...

image.png.476935ef0eb420b51de023ea2de43830.png image.png.afd2ef2d055140324aed093d3e96eca7.png

58 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

fight their way north while getting harried by rebellious clans

This is a good plot mechanism to insert All Quiet on the Eastern Front from the Green Covered TT issue?

image.png.f96bf573afb8ef8e36a462da243cfbbc.png

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

While increasingly "outnumbered" in Nochet by the Nolos refugees, they do not worship at the same temples (which may make some difference). But how that plays out remains to be seen, and may depend on who gains the allegiance of Queen Samastina.

There was a note that many had prices on their head, can't recall where I read that or if it were the Nolos refugees or some of the Esvulari inon them!?

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Black Arkati you can be sure.

Excited Aeolean Magician:
That’s exactly it!
I need twelve ounces of powdered Black Arkati to trace a pentacle.
You can get me some?

Argan Argar Trader:
It’ll cost you.

Excited Aeolean Magician:
No problem.
And four candles.

Argan Argar Trader:
Not this, again.
Out of my shop, now.
Out!

• Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

9 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Black Arkati you can be sure... (or will be in our Glorantha!)

Not all Darkness needs to be Black Arkat, nor is there a specific connection of Arkat to the Esvulari. There's much more connection between Arkat and the Troll Woods. However, that doesn't preclude one from existing.

Darkness is also Solace, Healing, etc. Darkness is an Emanation of the Invisible God as is Air and Earth and Water and Fire, i.e. it is part of and from the Invisible God, part of what was revealed to the world. They may well understand it as part of the Elemental Cycle. 

I wonder if Mt. Passant isn't Orta's older brother?

Well, Mount Passant isn't as big as Gonn Orta, and the "feet" are more like long downsloping ridgelines, so the Night Temple would be more at "knee-level" if you're thinking giant.

12 hours ago, jajagappa said:

There's much more connection between Arkat and the Troll Woods.

I figured and had earlier on assumed there was a Black Arkati HQ hidden in there somewhere...

Troll Cults Book, p24. In Heortland there is supposed to be the House of Black Arkat, a temple of the cult which teaches sorcery to its human initiates... otherwise is like any other troll cult... or something like that. The Kitori... smells like trouble.

Our PC's get a shapechange human to troll matrix from Uncle Erekanst (ToTRM 13, p37) who happens to be a member of the Kobakuruum, there's nothing stopping them from getting to the Dragon Pass championships!

Backford Ballers sponsored by your local Yelmalio temple!

12 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Night Temple would be more at "knee-level" if you're thinking giant.

OK, so Mt. Passant is Orta's half brother and is vertically challenged!? But you did say at the foot of...

17 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

But you did say at the foot of...

It's a somewhat squat, somewhat triangular mount. There are ridgelines that slope down to the west and to the south. The city is situated in the vale between the "feet" (i.e. the sloping ridges). When looking towards the peak from within the city, your gaze rises up past the zzaburi hall, past the talar hall (and the temples of the elemental emanations to the right and left of the talar hall), and then to the Temple of the Invisible God before reaching the peak.

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Troll Cults Book, p24. In Heortland there is supposed to be the House of Black Arkat, a temple of the cult which teaches sorcery to its human initiates... otherwise is like any other troll cult... or something like that. The Kitori... smells like trouble.

This was apparently a thinko for Arkat's Hold which is in North Esrolia.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So its noted in the GtG that Belintar secretly supports the Kingdom of Sartar against the Lunar invasion.

1591 (7/20): Kingdom of Sartar (Dragon Pass) invaded by Lunar Empire. Belintar the God-King secretly supports the Kingdom against the Lunar invasion.

How does he support, does he send troops? Maybe there are some Heortlanders at the Battle of Grizzly Peak as well or some sort of expeditionary force sent north by Belintar to help garrison the borders of northern Sartar?

Does anyone know more on this?

I see Grazers, Tarsh Exiles, etc. in WBRM but there isn't anything on Heortlanders...

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

How does he support, does he send troops?

Money, supplies, mercenaries (i.e. not outright army, but possibly Volsaxi clans mustered).

Maybe there are some Heortlanders at the Battle of Grizzly Peak as well

Yes, of course there were. Tarkalor dominated the tribes/clans around Whitewall until his death there.

Belintar secretly supports the Kingdom of Sartar against the Lunar invasion.

Also bear in mind that Belintar changes approximately every 13 years (likely some flux, but that is the average). We know from WBRM that there's a Tournament of Luck and Death around 1601, just before the Lunar invasion of Sartar, so Belintar's form/personality changed then as well. So the Belintar of ~1590-1601 was pro-Sartar, but there's no record of army movement out of the Holy Country (and likely Belintar's power drops or is minimal outside of the Sixths, so anything aiding Sartar is likely covert).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So from the Holy Country notes with maps post on the WoD there are references to the Orshanti Clan, the Gardufar and the Vandarland.

From Fandom: Orshanti Clan - A clan of the Hendriki that lived south of the Solthi River. Both Sartar and Colymar came from this clan. It is unclear whether it still exists.

What if any ties might still exist between the Orshanti and the Colymar Tribe and Sartar which were formed from this clan. Would Sartar or the Colymar not have relatives still in the Backford area assumingly of the Orshanti even though it would be about 300 years later?

Also from Fandom I found that it was an Earl of Gardufar and so can someone tell me how to change my tag to Earl in lieu of Eorl: Andrin the Renewed created the post of Earl to replace the King of Hurlant during the Volsaxi Revolt...

image.png.7b32ae3e5a11a00d99e5c7fccdb9cb57.png HotHP p.86

Both Orshanti and Gardufar are close to Backford and so am curious as to their status about 1600 some 16 years before Belintar died and Broyan and Rikard staked a claim.

I suppose the Orshanti is mostly just west of Backford and possibly including Backford? They are on the various maps and hover in about the same location. Are they somewhat anchored by Backford but slightly to its west side both up on the plateau and down in the Syphon Valley? Maybe they knowingly live west of Backford so it will somewhat shield them from anything that comes from the Print?

Additionally there is the Vandarland area which I am not finding anything on. It seems that about half the area for them is split between the Hendriki and central sections of the plateau? In the newer 1616 map it seems it has just become part of the Gardufar area which includes Backford as I am able to tell?

I also see that from the HotHP p.62 that Leskos is Esvalaring but I thought the Esvalaring were further south, likely they were appointed as administrators of Leskos and some other cities including Backford further north but not as far as Jansholm?

Beside the History of the Heortling Peoples is there a source with more information? (Yes waiting for Jaja's Heortland/Hendriki release and I hope it included the Plateau and not just the area around Whitewall!?)

The last and perhaps most intriguing query for me would be that if there were to be a Vigan Larnsti, divine tattoos and all, even though born an Esvulari noble, would displaced Uroxi and Hendriki near Backford follow her after the death of Belintar, assuming she was strong and charismatic enough to pull them together of course? Say she is more interested in the fight against the chaos of Jab and the Print than the squabble between Rikard and Broyan...

If you have a strong argument as to why or why not please advise and formulate how it might be changed so this Larnsti Vigan Esvulari could be a strong leader of men and women against Chaos and well maybe Lunars too!? 

Thanks again.

image.png.5357942f702f81d6d4f0ad813ef15abe.png Heortland map 1571-1616

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/holy-country-notes-with-maps

image.png.1f91f83fb9f7004fb834767155cb9514.png  HotH People

image.png.28d26233d37984ad31c3b270a417d663.png

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/the-holy-country-after-1616/

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Additionally there is the Vandarland area which I am not finding anything on.

"Vandar" means "loyalist", i.e. loyal to Belintar. It's basically all of central Heortland excluding Volsaxiland (and usually excluding Esvular, too).

What if any ties might still exist between the Orshanti and the Colymar Tribe and Sartar which were formed from this clan.

Some connection, but more likely with Sartar than Colymar. The Orshanti are still a clan in Heortland. But the Colymar left 300 years ago, Sartar left 120 years ago.

I suppose the Orshanti is mostly just west of Backford and possibly including Backford?

Jansholm. The description in the Heortland material is: "The largest, wealthiest, and most magically powerful clan in Hendrikar, it was from the Orshanti that both Colymar and his Black Spear clan, and later Sartar, came.  The clan has dominated Jansholm and the Solthi River vale for centuries."

Beside the History of the Heortling Peoples is there a source with more information? (Yes waiting for Jaja's Heortland/Hendriki release and I hope it included the Plateau and not just the area around Whitewall!?)

No, there is not. Hence why useful to actually get the area into a sourcebook. My work covers all of Heortland.

Also from Fandom I found that it was an Earl of Gardufar and so can someone tell me how to change my tag to Earl in lieu of Eorl

The medievalisms have been removed so don't expect to see any earls or eorls going forward. While Belintar ruled, aside from his Governor, there really was no need to have any larger structure than a clan. 

I also see that from the HotHP p.62 that Leskos is Esvalaring but I thought the Esvalaring were further south

Gardufar is the mixing ground between Heortling and Esvulari culture. Durengard was the center/capital of Heortland and where the Governor lived and Belintar's magic road descended. Leskos is the deepwater port for Durengard. 

The main difference between Heortling and Esvulari is that the latter are caste-based. There's a noble caste (but they still interact with and lead the cults of Orlanth and Ernalda), and a wizard caste (who lead worship of the Invisible God, and interact with the other emanations), and a commoner caste (who is everyone else).

The last and perhaps most intriguing query for me would be that if there were to be a Vigan Larnsti, divine tattoos and all, even though born an Esvulari noble, would displaced Uroxi and Hendriki near Backford follow her after the death of Belintar

Esvulari nobles still worship, and in fact lead, the cults of Orlanth and Ernalda in southern Heortland. The cult forms likely vary as the gods are recognized as emanations of the Invisible God, not independent entities, but it's still Orlanth and Ernalda.

Anyone who can manage to bring the clans together (and these are clans that fully embrace the slogan "No one can make me do anything"), has the opportunity to become a leader.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Esvulari nobles still worship, and in fact lead, the cults of Orlanth and Ernalda in southern Heortland. The cult forms likely vary as the gods are recognized as emanations of the Invisible God, not independent entities, but it's still Orlanth and Ernalda.

I thought there would be resentment by the Volsaxiland as they generally would not wish to be lead by an Esvulari but to your point if she's fighting what they don't like, enemy of my enemy might work? I assume this Vingan would need to be anti-Rikard somehow. I'll need to work on that especially when the Volsaxi seemed to have suppressed the Esvulai in the past with foreigner laws of sorts on more than one occasion?

Jansholm. The description in the Heortland material is: "The largest, wealthiest, and most magically powerful clan in Hendrikar, it was from the Orshanti that both Colymar and his Black Spear clan, and later Sartar, came. 

The area on the Heortland map 1571-1616 map seems to show closer to Backford but no issue for me to have it at Jansholm. Mentions of the Backford leadership be "hard pressed" makes me think they are strapped for cash, thus the much earlier thoughts on increasing trade centered on or moving through Backford.

Oh, knowing that Jansholm is closer to Kitori lands do they happen to have a minor league trollball team?

aside from his Governor

Orngerin the Sophisticate? 1603-1617 did he not die of a strange disease rather than via an outcome of one of Broyan of Whitewall's hero quests? 

All good stuff and thank you for the info Jaja!

(Sorry to see Earl is gone... did you sort out an index yet!?)

I thought there would be resentment by the Volsaxiland as they generally would not wish to be lead by an Esvulari but to your point if she's fighting what they don't like, enemy of my enemy might work?

Until you get post-Broyan, that's the unifier of Volsaxiland. Once Broyan is dead, then they need a new champion which might be one of Broyan's companions, or someone else charismatic. (If you're playing in the period 1600-1610, then you've got Belintar's governor and the gods themselves to keep rebellious Volsaxi in line.)

knowing that Jansholm is closer to Kitori lands do they happen to have a minor league trollball team?

Why would they? This is the heart of the Storm Tribe. 

I'll need to work on that especially when the Volsaxi seemed to have suppressed the Esvulai in the past with foreigner laws of sorts on more than one occasion?

The Esvulari have largely been in power for 300 years since Belintar defeated Andrin (except periodic rebellions in Volsaxiland). References to anything prior to that - well, there's simply not much contact between the two as there are large woodlands between.

Orngerin the Sophisticate? 1603-1617 did he not die of a strange disease rather than via an outcome of one of Broyan of Whitewall's hero quests? 

Belintar's death triggers the Tournament of Luck and Death. For Broyan to claim leadership of the Storm Tribe (i.e. heir of Vingkot) he must defeat his rival for leadership, i.e. Orngerin. That could play out in any number of ways - could be direct battle/wrestling with the manner gaining a magical part from the loser (which could then play out as a "strange disease"), could be some other contests, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

From TotRM 08 p.36 does anyone have a guess as to the year Jaxarte's love Mellissa went to try to convert the Scorpion Queen of Jab to the Seven Mothers cult? I assume it was after his census in Prax having been done in 1617...

The MOB story is linked as a refence, it's a nice plot link and as it gives a good reverse side of story on Broo being the victims after saving Jaxarte from the river...

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/mobs-glorantha-page/gloranthan-fiction/jaxarte-and-the-chaos-fiends/

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

From TotRM 08 p.36 does anyone have a guess as to the year Jaxarte's love Mellissa went to try to convert the Scorpion Queen of Jab to the Seven Mothers cult? I assume it was after his census in Prax having been done in 1617...

The MOB story is linked as a refence, it's a nice plot link and as it gives a good reverse side of story on Broo being the victims after saving Jaxarte from the river...

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/mobs-glorantha-page/gloranthan-fiction/jaxarte-and-the-chaos-fiends/

1622, see Glorantha Sourcebook, page 35, the WIP here at the bottom: and the final picture on page 392 of 13th Age Glorantha. She clearly didn't manage to convert her though...

Edited by David Scott
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Form one of Joerg's previous posts: Presumably yes, at least as head of an expeditionary force like the one Fazzur led deep into the Marzeel Valley in 1605. Targeting the most important Earth temple in the region sounds like a proven Eel-Ariash strategy, and may have been underwritten by Moirades of Tarsh.

What might the force of Lunars been made up of and their numbers. Did they bypass Whitewall or was there another circuitous route to get to the Marzeel Valley.

As this is getting close to Backford and the PC's would likely be involved in attempting to thwart and Lunar incursion into the Heartland Plateau we'd like to develop this into a scenario maybe the mounted PC's are scouts and end up skirmishing with the likes of the Silver Shields?

And as part of that note, what would be the most important Earth Temple in this region if its not at Whitewall is it at Smithstone?

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

And as part of that note, what would be the most important Earth Temple in this region if its not at Whitewall is it at Smithstone?

Vorda Hill is an important one, though that's WNW of Whitewall. 

There's also a significant Earth temple along the northern edge of the Godman Hills (the whole range of which is largely an outdoor Orlanth temple). [Those hills are south of the Marzeel.]

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Vorda Hill

image.png.8eacf95e3743a6f1aa9237dee4578fe9.png 

There was discussion previously that Betimagor Uzbane's Hero Cult was possibly centered there and we are leaning towards a shrine to a subcult of Humakt and or one of the Thunder Brother's. We also look to use the Vinga's Ford scenario (as Rodney Dangerduck suggested) somewhere along the north end of the Dreven River. The Daughter of Darkness ties well to Sun County and Kilgorn Brightspear who happens to be married to the aunt of one of the Backford's PC's. He doesn't like the Marsh and actually hangs with Durulz in their passion against undead. very interesting Yelmalio Light Captain...

image.png.5b5d7bbf1d129da5c678b9fa187b87e3.png 

The Earth Temple at Godman Hills will need to be detailed a bit but assume the entry would be set back into the hill and carved into the rock strata somehow, guessing form-set stone was used by dwarves who helped make it close to the Dawn... the open air Orthanth temple is assumed to be similar to others in plan.

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

the open air Orthanth temple is assumed to be similar to others in plan

It's the entirety of the hill range. And in my view, they have a great Orlanth statue which they haul around by wagon. The east and west ends are the most sacred points though.

• Helpful 1

When looking for the Earth Temple at Vorda Hill, there seem to be a set of monoliths at the top.

Anyone care to explain? I want to set some sort of night jumper or uzbane shrine there but knowing it clashes with the current thought that the Curtali tribe (if that's who's there) is a peace loving tribe I want it to make sence.

Maybe it was a shrine that fell into disuse after the long siege of the hill ended?

I suppose an uzbane or a Humakti shrine could be in the Old Elf Ruin at the north side of the stream? It might well go with Fodronu Enchasol's shrine the Leafless Warrior...

Where would the Night Jumper shrine be?

image.png.5a37d95354dfd31e97f8b235b3fed7b2.png

image.png.90cf4e7294d637cdfd956e3ba1120c79.png

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

That would be a minor temple of Orlanth Thunderous. The Earth Temple is at the base.

I see the box/cube at the east side near the "S" on the map. I was hoping for a Night Jumper and or Humakti shrine up there along with Orlanth but since one note had Fodronu Enchasol's shrine the Leafless Warrior related I suppose it'll go in the Old Elf Ruin just as well?

The Night Jumpers' shrine might well be part of the Orlanth Temple... if not where else might it be?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

The Night Jumpers' shrine might well be part of the Orlanth Temple... if not where else might it be?

I'd treat the Night Jumpers the same as the Stormwalkers (Lightbringers 39), but as an exclusive subcult of Orlanth Adventurous. Give them Permanent Fly and Night vision.

• Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/