BRP Preview Images

Jason D

In a local used bookstore, there are copies of some of the Kult 2nd edition sourcebooks.

I hold these up as the standards of RPG materials clearly (over)designed without any practical thought to actual usage.

I'm not a huge fan of Hobo variants either, as they imply beergarden menus to me, but the graphical design of the book is outside my control.

I've seen some Kult stuff. Frankly I thought Chill 2nd edition was worse (and we are talking format here), although I see what you mean. Lots of tilted text boxes, important stuff broken up over several pages to make room for art, and a font that was an easy on the eye as a sharp stick.

Hobo wouldn't have been my first choice, but at least it is legible, and that's the important thing. As long as I can read it, understand the rules, and find stuff on the book when I need to without a search party, it will do. Based on what the previews look like (well, like CoC and Elric! in layout), I figure I should be able to do all three. :thumb:

I wonder what Kind Hobo would look like? :confused:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basic character sheet doesn't seem to have hit locations on it.

Hit locations and strike ranks are the two things that I found gave RQ a better simulation feel that any other game.

Does anyone know if these are going to be in there?

They are one of the optional sub systems that were in the play test draft: I used them in some of my play test games, but not in others.

Likewise, Strike Ranks were in the play test draft as an optional system.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

There are a number of things that Jason chose to include on the character sheet (or leave off) that make it pretty unusable for me as is, too. That's OK, and nothing new, though. I have several home-made character sheets on my desk right now, and I don't think I have ever been happy with a published one anyway,Chaosium or otherwise. Just whip up one for yourself with the hit locations included...from the approach taken with the book in general I think that is an expectation (lots of customization of the rules, to have a version of BRP just right for each individual) of the authors' anyway, although I could be dead wrong about that. In earlier posts Jason indicated that the option for hit locations is included with location formulae and the whole nine yards.

Hit locations and strike ranks were 2 of the 3 things RQ needed to change, IMO (the 3rd being a mechanism to reward roleplaying). And it looks like they have been - good!

And if they're still available as options, everyone's happy - right?

PS I like the font (there, I've said it!).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

The basic character sheet doesn't seem to have hit locations on it.

Hit locations and strike ranks are the two things that I found gave RQ a better simulation feel that any other game.

Does anyone know if these are going to be in there?

They're optional rules, but I'm not sure why Charlie left them off the character sheet.

I know at one point he suggested having variant character sheets on the website with different configurations of optional rules.

There are a number of things that Jason chose to include on the character sheet (or leave off) that make it pretty unusable for me as is, too. That's OK, and nothing new, though. I have several home-made character sheets on my desk right now, and I don't think I have ever been happy with a published one anyway,Chaosium or otherwise. Just whip up one for yourself with the hit locations included...from the approach taken with the book in general I think that is an expectation (lots of customization of the rules, to have a version of BRP just right for each individual) of the authors' anyway, although I could be dead wrong about that. In earlier posts Jason indicated that the option for hit locations is included with location formulae and the whole nine yards.

That's also my point.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Hit locations and strike ranks were 2 of the 3 things RQ needed to change, IMO (the 3rd being a mechanism to reward roleplaying). And it looks like they have been - good!

And if they're still available as options, everyone's happy - right?

PS I like the font (there, I've said it!).

Actually, no. As no hit locations is the default, all published material will most probably exclude them as well, making extra work for those who liked it. As it is, I'm not happy with the major damage table from Stormbringer.

With a mechanism to reward roleplaying, are we talking Hero Points again?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I know at one point he suggested having variant character sheets on the website with different configurations of optional rules.

I would like that even if I'm sure I will use customized ones.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

P.S. And I will use hit locations. And strike ranks. And skill categories.

Actually, no. As no hit locations is the default, all published material will most probably exclude them as well, making extra work for those who liked it. As it is, I'm not happy with the major damage table from Stormbringer.

SGL.

On both point's I'm afraid you're right, even if for the 1st point I think it is logical.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

They are one of the optional sub systems that were in the play test draft: I used them in some of my play test games, but not in others.

Likewise, Strike Ranks were in the play test draft as an optional system.

We went there in the Playtest Group.

I pointed out that the basic character sheet didn't contain Hit Locations.

Jason pointed out that Hit Locations were an Optional Rule and so shouldn't be in a generic sheet.

I pointed out that EDU was an Optional Rule and shouldn't be in a generic character sheet.

Jason said "Yah! Boo! Sucks to you!".

Or something like that, anyway. Obviously, I paraphrase :)

But, any character sheet that has EDU and no Hit Locations screams COC to me (and not in a good sense).

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

As no hit locations is the default, all published material will most probably exclude them as well, making extra work for those who liked it.

So everyone's not happy after all - oh dear. Can't you make do with rolling location for significant hits, instead of every hit? I don't know the 'Stormbringer major damage table', what's wrong with it? And why does it matter?

Possibly - but, sorry, I must have missed where they were talked about before. Could you please direct me tothe nearest Hero Points discussion? (I don't know if the new book even has such a mechanism).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

In a local used bookstore, there are copies of some of the Kult 2nd edition sourcebooks.

I hold these up as the standards of RPG materials clearly (over)designed without any practical thought to actual usage.

Even now you get people who should know better who have lapses here (some of the design elements in Eden's Witchcraft line come to mind; even when the printers don't screw up, white text on black background is _not_ a good idea).

They're optional rules, but I'm not sure why Charlie left them off the character sheet.

While you can't expect the core sheet to necessarily take up landscape for something as relatively space consumptive as hit locations when its an optional rule and not presumeably expected to be routinely used, it _would_ be helpful to have an optional sheet that includes them I have to say. Not that I'm not used to people putting their own sheets together anyway, but still...

Soltakss, you could probably use the MRQ sheet...>:->

I've never seen a good character sheet in any roleplaying game rulebook.

I know that people will say "Look at so-and-so or such-and-such a game" and point out some examples. But, I've never seen them.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Me either. The one that came closest was the Elric! sheet, but since I wanted skill categories and bonuses even it fell short.

So the sheet in this new book would not get used by me, but is not a particularly negative factor in my decision whether or not to buy it.

Me either. The one that came closest was the Elric! sheet, but since I wanted skill categories and bonuses even it fell short.

So the sheet in this new book would not get used by me, but is not a particularly negative factor in my decision whether or not to buy it.

It's really not hard to cook up one's own character sheet in Excel or Word or similar programs (in my case, FileMaker Pro).

It's really not hard to cook up one's own character sheet in Excel or Word or similar programs (in my case, FileMaker Pro).

The 1st ones I made up (20 years) ago were real cut and paste, but now any spreadsheet or word processing makes the work for us.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster