Troll ignorance : wonderhome, mundane world, death, hell

I wish you a nice night :20-element-darkness:

Reading in runequest forum a topic about pc visiting hells, it gave me the memory of my (kingdom of) ignorance

I m definitly not clear about the wonderhome :

• I understand that is a part of the underworld
  • I understand the underworld is related with hell (the place of all the deads, not only the bad people)

So a dumb theory could be :

to please the trolls living on mundane world, you just have to kill them, the good trolls will go back the lost wonderhome

What is wrong then ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I wish you a nice night :20-element-darkness:

Reading in runequest forum a topic about pc visiting hells, it gave me the memory of my (kingdom of) ignorance

• I understand the underworld is related with hell (the place of all the deads, not only the bad people)

to please the trolls living on mundane world, you just have to kill them, the good trolls will go back the lost wonderhome

What is wrong then ?

Yelm visiting the underworld for 12 hours a day makes it not much different from the surface world where he is also 12 hours present. 
The difference is: On the surface world there is soooo much more to eat. 

Wonderhome (the perfect world the Uz would like to get back to) was: 
- No sun in the underworld, not even for an hour a day
- No Dark Trolls anymore (and of cource no Trollkin, just Mistress Race Trolls

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ve run a heroquest to Wonderhome in my 13th Age Glorantha campaign because my players returned the 3 troll ghosts from Vinga's Ford to the Mothers at the Castle of Lead. 
I used the Elemental Cycle to decide what each stage would be: Darkness (Castle of Lead montage), Earth (dancing Maran challenge), Air (questing Orlanthi fight), Water (chaos infested river challenge), Fire/Sky (questing Dara Happan fight). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

What is wrong then ?

The trolls earned their right to the surface world by being the greatest and most successful foes of Chaos.  They saved the world, or at least Genertela.  They should have a share in it.  The Great Compromise and the cosmos as such would not exist without them--it is their world too.

And as others have pointed out, the Underworld is still bedeviled by Yelm for half of each day.  Death takes them to the current Underworld, not Wonderhome proper, which can only now be reached by heroquesting to the Golden Age and earlier.  Trolls want to go to the afterlives prepared by their gods and cults as much as any other theistic people, but like most people, they don't want to get there too fast.  You never really run out of new things to eat on the surface, after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

The Dark Trolls themselves were never actually in Wonderhome, they are an adaptation of the Surface World, and likely fit there best, despite what many trolls might think.

Wonderhome is where their ancestresses got that bad sunburn. The surface world they fled to had only local suns able to burn them, but Yelmalio never has been blamed for the hurt status of the lesser troll race, the Dark trolls.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

21 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Yes, Wonderhome was where the Trolls used to live, before Yelm came with his burning light.

It is in what is now known as Hell.

Then Yelm came, after he was killed, and destroyed legions of trolls with his burning light.

The Trolls ran away to the surface World, for that was now without Yelm, so they thought that it was Darkness.

Afterwards, Grandfather Mortal, or Daka Fal, made Hell the Realm of the Dead and this included Wonderhome.

21 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Yes, that is exactly the case.

Trolls believe that they will go to Wonderhome when they die, where insects are plentiful, they don't need to work and where they can sit and eat all night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here