Are birthdays celebrated in Glorantha?

AndreJarosch

1 hour ago, narsilion said:

The main difference between the Earth and Glorantha may be the rest of the sky: is it moving with the Yelm/sun, creating universal east/west? Becouse on our planet the stars are rising just like the sun and the moon, so the sun rising is not the only factor that determines east, but one of a few.

The Sky Dome rotates around the Pole Star, which (in first approximation) stands direcly above Magasta's Pool. A rotation of the Sky Dome (at least the constellation visible on the sky dome) takes roughly as much as a full day, but there is a daily overshoot or undershoot (no idea which) which causes a precession, so that the constellation of Lorion is visible above the Gates of Dawn at sunrise at the spring equinox (Day 1 of Sea Season) and above the Gates of Dusk at sunrise at the autumn equinox.

According to the Copper Tablets (in the Guide) there were no stars or constellations before Umath invaded, but this rotation of the sky dome seems to have been active even before, defining the "days" of the Golden Age and later when the sun(s) stood motionless in the sky above holy mountains or ziggurats.

Planetary motion to Hell and back seems to have started irregularly upon the sky invasion by Umath, and regularly after the disintegrated Yelm marked the path and Dark Dendara completed the circle, as did her child Lokarnos. (Veldara went a different way, following Lorion).

The Sky Invasion of Umath caused the northward tilt of the Sky Dome, when Shargash/Jagrekriand crashed the Storm King into the North Pillar. That tilt was countered by Kalikos at a later point of Godtime, and reversed southward, until the Sky Spill burnt away the Nargan Sea, and the lightened Sky Dome tilted back upwards. After the Dawn, this tilt had become an annual cycle.

The Sunpath from the Gates of Dawn to the Gates of Dusk past Pole Star is now shared by several celestial bodies that move along it with different speeds. Mastakos/Uleria is the fastest, needs 8 hours to run across the Sunpath, then reappears immediately at the Gates of Dusk. Yelm takes the entire day to traverse the Sunpath above (and the night to traverse it below), and Lightfore takes the entire night to reproduce Yelm's path from half a year ago against the Nightsky. The Sunpath is also traveled by Dendara/Moskalf and Lokarnos.

There is another planetary path, the Southpath, which is shared by three bodies - Shargash/Tolat, Artia the Bat, and the Twinstars (a double body). It starts slightly north of the Gates of Dawn and ends at a range of positions in the southwest.

There is the Red Moon, immovable above the Crater, usually in the northwestern sky unless you are too close to the Crater or too far northwest in Glorantha.

There are thee jumper stars visible in the night sky, Rausa the Dusk jumper around sunset in the west, Kalikos the northern jumper around midnight in the north, and Theya the Dawn jumper around dawn in the east.

There is Orlanth's Ring, rising from Stormgate (a fixed spot in the western sky) up to Pole Star, over the course of a week, then disappearing beyond the Sky.

There are a few other irregular celestial objects, like Zenith (stationary), the Juggernaut (completely irregular), Stormgate (mentioned above) and a few rarely occurring effects, and there is a panoply of fix stars on the sky dome, with Pole Star in the center of the sky dome. The stars occupy four major regions of the sky, the Sky River dividing the lower sky in a half and then going around the celestial city in the center of the sky dome (as the second of the regions), the forest and the desert.

Only the stars that occupy the lowest part of the sky dome get to rise and set across the horizon when the tilt is strong enough. Mainly in the north around Midwinter, but possibly in the south around Midsummer too. No following the sun (or rather Lightfore), but rotation instead.

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I think birthday celebrations are a "thing" in Lunar and Orlanthi cultures.  They will be celebrated with pleasant food and drink and perhaps some small gifts.  The celebrations will be oriented to family and friends, and more important for people of higher status who have more family and friends.  

I don't think they celebrate by singing Happy Birthday to You, but likely have a couple of birthday sing-along songs.  Songs with names like:

"Your runes have come around again"

"Pour the Ale and Roast a Goose."

"How many cycles have you lived?"

"Open the honey pot." 

"The Moon looked down and counted."

• 6 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 10:56 PM, jajagappa said:

• A year is a year. You age at the same rate - it's just a bit more compressed (or faster aging) in Glorantha.
  • However, there is one event that is distinct: pregnancy. Length of pregnancy is roughly the same. In our world = 9 months; in Glorantha = ~1 year (though magic can accelerate/decelerate the time of delivery)

I just stumbled on queen Jocestis of Elkoi in "Griffin Mountain". She is 35, her eldest son is 22

O_o

jar-eel_crimson_bat.png

To roll your birthday:

1d20= 1-4 Sea Season, 5-7 Fire Season, 8-12 Earth Season, 13-16  Storm Season, 17-19 Dark Season, 20 Sacred Time.

(Seasons results tweaked for fertility and length)

1d8 for week= 1 Disorder Week, 2 Harmony Week, 3 Death week, 4 Life Week, 5 Stasis Week, 6 Mobility Week, 7 Illusion Week, 8 Truth Week.

1d8 for day= 1 Freezeday, 2 Waterday, 3 Clayday, 4 Windsday, 5 Fireday, 6 Wildday, 7 Godsday, 8 Day associated with character's primary rune.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 2:06 PM, jajagappa said:

Sometimes old works did not pay enough attention to realistic birth dates. 

Bah 13 is possible to be mother

I heard about 9/10 years old girls in our world

(what ? Am I speaking about irl to answer a gloranthan topic ?! Argh! Is@Joerg leading me to his path ? 🥰 )

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

(what ? Am I speaking about irl to answer a gloranthan topic ?! Argh! Is@Joerg leading me to his path ? 🥰 )

If so, I would have preferred being called out to in a less sensitive environment.

Issues of child abuse - be it age of consent, early motherhood, child soldiers (Household of Death) or weaponization of infants (Jar-eel breaking the Syndic's Ban) - are X-card territory for a good reason.

We are playing a game where mutilation is almost celebrated ("It isn't RQ if there are no limbs flying!") and the deaths of characters and more so of their opponents are part of the game. Where we explore magic and mythology which resolves around the breaking of social taboos. Where we shamelessly appropriate religious practices of other cultures for our enjoyment, and hopefully with some reflection about what we are doing by projecting such activities.

Did the authors and publishers of Griffin Mountain do the math? No idea.

Do we need to re-evaluate or even re-write Romeo and Juliet?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Bah 13 is possible to be mother

I heard about 9/10 years old girls in our world

Yes, its possible, especially it was pretty normal in ancient days. AFAIR Papal States only recently changed the official female marriage age, that was just 13...

But we were talking about it in a context, becouse earlier in this topic i observed that 13yo in glorantha is not 13yo on earth:

"A year has 294 days there. So an 18-year-old man has 5292 days. And this is 14.5 our years."

jar-eel_crimson_bat.png

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

If so, I would have preferred being called out to in a less sensitive environment.

sorry for that

my point was not about the how but about the biological possibility

there is no english page for this so the french version(and yes irl there is probably a sadly part of bad things but don't know if in other context, in other cultures, - i mean isolated people in isolated lands, people of 13 may be considered as adult, biologicaly and culturaly )

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_plus_jeunes_mères_du_monde

3 hours ago, narsilion said:

But we were talking about it in a context, becouse earlier in this topic i observed that 13yo in glorantha is not 13yo on earth:

"A year has 294 days there. So an 18-year-old man has 5292 days. And this is 14.5 our years."

I wouldn't count in day to compare biological evolution of a being. there is nothing saying that 1 gloranthan day = 1 earth day after all, or that one G-second = one E-second

If i remember, people can be initiated from 12 years old in the background (even if the pc generation is 15-16)

as if you are initiate, I understand it as  you are an adult in all points, identified by the nature, the gods, the mortals as able to do what an adult is able to do.

On 9/9/2023 at 11:14 AM, Darius West said:

1d20= 1-4 Sea Season, 5-7 Fire Season, 8-12 Earth Season, 13-16  Storm Season, 17-19 Dark Season, 20 Sacred Time.

(Seasons results tweaked for fertility and length)

1d8 for week= 1 Disorder Week, 2 Harmony Week, 3 Death week, 4 Life Week, 5 Stasis Week, 6 Mobility Week, 7 Illusion Week, 8 Truth Week.

1d8 for day= 1 Freezeday, 2 Waterday, 3 Clayday, 4 Windsday, 5 Fireday, 6 Wildday, 7 Godsday, 8 Day associated with character's primary rune.

or just use the Core Rules system in Age, and Year Born, page 81

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/