Introducing the RuneQuest Wiki: rules and setting overview, as well as quick-reference for your gaming table, all in once place!

MOB

20 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'm inclined to ignore the >100% reduction entirely and just rely on the higher special and critical chances to break the tie.

I ignore it completely. First because it feels wrong to me, and then because it reduces the probability of specials and criticals, and then because it cause such questions and problems.

14 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Your special and critical is NOT reduced with the skill reducion. 

14 hours ago, Ryan Kent said:

I interpret the text to mean the converse.  "As with other skills or abilities, the final modified value is always the one used to determine the chance of special or critical successes, as well as fumbles."

I read it the same way as Ryan.

14 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

This is correct.

Sorry Bill, but I can find Ryan's text, not the other.

No worries, Kloster, as Andre said, it is hard to keep up with errata... In the core book, it states what I said. Mind you the core book I used was first printing and I did not check WoD or the other (later) edition of the core book... (hope I will not have to double check or triple every ruling I make with WoD but I fear I might). 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I'm pretty sure I will (as a HR) be keeping %Crit & %Special as per the full skill, even as they climb over 5% & 20%.

Mastery of a weapon should mean you just do those amazing things more-often (like 1-shot'ing a Great Troll or whatever).

I actually like the "Drop melee skills of everyone involved, by as much as is needed for the best person to be at 100%" rule.

===

HOWEVER, this ru;e seems to nerf the archers harder than anyone else -- they drop to 100, but it's meaningless to drop ranged foes' parry and melee-attack scores.  And while I guess one "could" drop opposing archers' skills... that frankly kinda seems silly!

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

HOWEVER, this ru;e seems to nerf the archers harder than anyone else -- they drop to 100, but it's meaningless to drop ranged foes' parry and melee-attack scores.  And while I guess one "could" drop opposing archers' skills... that frankly kinda seems silly!

Archers would only reduce their skill if the foe has an opposing skill. Shields don't parry missile weapons - instead they cover a few locations. And a great sword or battle axe never opposes a missile. Thus no skill opposes the archer skill. Hence the e.g. Composite Bow skill is not decreased. 

Dodge is another story. Against missiles, dodge takes the entire round and the dodger cannot fire back. Example: Archer with 140 Composite Bow fires from 70 meters away and someone dodging with 75 skill. Then the Archer rolls as though 100 skill and the dodger only get 35%. Which is actually marginally better for the Archer.

Archer critical success 7% vs 5%. But the dodger goes from 4% to 2%. And every roll above 02, the dodger receives critical damage. Archer impales 08-28, but the dodger goes from 05-15% to 03-07% special dodge. And every normal success is ignored. I think the archer wants the dodge to be decreased. The archer never cares is the dodge is a better level of success, because they miss anyway. It isn't as though the critical dodge is going to damage the bow.

Thus, when you get the critical and special results through a lucky roll, you want the dodge skill as low as possible.

At least as I read it.

17 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

No worries, Kloster, as Andre said, it is hard to keep up with errata... In the core book, it states what I said. Mind you the core book I used was first printing and I did not check WoD or the other (later) edition of the core book... (hope I will not have to double check or triple every ruling I make with WoD but I fear I might). 

No problemo. I also have problems with using the WoD. But my book and pdf are second printing. This is why I am asking for an official errata file, not a web site.

31 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

Ok better yet, an updated PDF ready for a third printing! 

No, it has to be in addition: People that have not bought their book directly from Chaosium don't have the pdf, but they also need the errata. I know of 'bits and mortars' but it is not available from outside US. 2 of my players have the book (1 in english and 1 in french), but none of them has the pdf. And we need a searchable file, not a web site, because we don't always play with a connection available, and we need to know where to look in the WoD.

• 1 month later...