True Sword and Fire Blade

Stephen L

On 5/15/2023 at 10:45 AM, Erol of Backford said:

Just by chance was reading through TotRM 08, strangely enough the broo in question should have had a d4 damage bonus but it wasn't included in the stats. I suppose if we ever run this this horror they will get 3d6+d4+6:

image.png.4d440a80d94d0736550c55b4e13fc964.png image.png.9b07015858689da7eed27fa53dd6e6f4.png

Would anyone suggest that the Fireblade would neutralise the poison? Would it have any effect on the disease? (is the disease a spirit?)

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Read the text on the left side.

What are you reading into the text that I am not? The text says, "Bladesharp-6 on cutlass and Fireblade on cutlass." I only see one cutlass listed, so I infer the description means that Bladesharp and Fireblade were both cast at the same time on the same cutlass. Which the descriptions for Bladesharp and Fireblade say is impossible.

The description includes the terms, "Devotio Magic" but I don't recognize that phrase. What is Devotio Magic and how does it make two incompatible spells compatible?

4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Would anyone suggest that the Fireblade would neutralise the poison? Would it have any effect on the disease? (is the disease a spirit?)

Mythically, fire cleanses. So yes. In the real world, fire or heat kills most bacteria and viruses and burning causes a chemical change that will probably affect a poison. So yes for disease, and probably yes for poison. Though burning some irritants, like Poison Ivy, will cause it to aerosolize. Poison in the lungs can be worse than poison by contact. Of course if it aerosolizes the poison would affect the Broo first.

Edited by Bren

1 hour ago, Bren said:

The description includes the terms, "Devotio Magic" but I don't recognize that phrase. What is Devotio Magic and how does it make two incompatible spells compatible?

Tales of the Reaching Moon 8 (1992!) had a special Chaos issue, with the article on the hero cult of Ragnaglar, Ulforg and a related adventure, Stoney Bones:

Ulforg Master of Devotio

A Chaotic Hero-Cult By Michael O'Brien and Jon Quaife

within the writeup was

The Ritual of Devotio

Ritual ceremony, nonstackable, reusable.

This ritual allows Ulforg devotees to receive extreme magical power in return for the service of their souls to Ulforg for a limited period of time.

It's similar in concept to the non-standard magic found in the Smoking Ruin, basically making an NPC very tough in an unexpected way. It's powerful chaos magic that breaks the rules.

Perhaps one day @MOB will JC it.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

5 hours ago, Bren said:

What are you reading into the text that I am not? The text says, "Bladesharp-6 on cutlass and Fireblade on cutlass." I only see one cutlass listed, so I infer the description means that Bladesharp and Fireblade were both cast at the same time on the same cutlass.

image.png.0749d5621ba6cfb2b665507c797ddea2.png

Ulforg can do this because chaos.

RuneQuest scenarios have frequently overridden the core rules with exceptions.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 12:13 PM, David Scott said:

Tales of the Reaching Moon 8 (1992!) had a special Chaos issue, with the article on the hero cult of Ragnaglar, Ulforg and a related adventure, Stoney Bones:

Ulforg Master of Devotio

A Chaotic Hero-Cult By Michael O'Brien and Jon Quaife...

I do not have that issue. Thanks for the explanation.

On 5/16/2023 at 4:54 PM, PhilHibbs said:

image.png.0749d5621ba6cfb2b665507c797ddea2.png

Somehow I missed the parenthetical. My bad.

• Like 1