True Sword and Fire Blade

Stephen L

2 hours ago, Godlearner said:

Dismiss magic is available to most cults. I see someone's sword glowing like there is no tomorrow, I blast it.

That's great, but it's 2 Rune points. Dispel Magic is cheaper, but less common - taught by Daka Fal, Seven Mothers and Storm Bull to their initiates and associates.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Dismissing Spells on the sword is kindof boring, but, in the end, very logical, feasible, and necessary.

Dismissing Spells on the character is hard cause they likely have up a lot of Shield and/or Countermagic.  And somewhat boring.

By "boring" I mean it becomes a battle of attrition of Rune Points or Magic Points, not necessarily a battle of skills or tactics.

24 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Disruption spam is nice as well, as even one point of damage requires a concentration check.

Also part of the battle of tactics (rarely employed because somebody that uses Fireblade + Truesword is most probably protected by several level of shield or countermagic, but might be worth it).

59 minutes ago, Kloster said:

Also part of the battle of tactics (rarely employed because somebody that uses Fireblade + Truesword is most probably protected by several level of shield or countermagic, but might be worth it).

If you have enough crystals or spirits, you may be able to punch through that with Boosting. But yeah, as soon as Shield is in play, your priority must be to get rid of the Shield (or engage in Spirit Combat, as that is one of the very few weaknesses of Shield).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kloster said:

Fireblade + Truesword is most probably protected by several level of shield or countermagic

Unlikely, at least i have not seen it used very often. countermagic once in a blue moon, shield never. The choice is always the character or the sword, and character wins every time.

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Disruption spam is nice as well, as even one point of damage requires a concentration check.

For a Fireblade. The best tactic for Fireblade is the one I first seen in the Cradle scenario where the second rankers cast Fireblade on the spears of the Yelmalio templars int he first row.

On 1/23/2022 at 5:34 PM, Darius West said:

And that's why Humakti (like everybody) need to invest in countermagic.

Yes, you could cast Countermagic on your sword after you cast Truesword or Bladesharp on it. And you could cast Countermagic on yourself to protect your Sword Trance.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So what is the official ruling on an iron sword that has fireblade that hits a troll. Will any damage via the fireblade and damage bonus be doubled once armour is penetrated?

Example: 3d6 fire blade gets you 12 and damage bonus gets you 4, total 16, the troll has 8 points of armor so 8 gets through. Would the full 8 get doubled to 16? i assume yes or it gets clunky...

Additionally if the sword were enchanted to do double damage against darkness creatures would (assume again once armor is penetrated) the 16 doubled by iron would now become 32?

Sorry if I missed it in this thread on my skim but what's official per the rules as written? 

14 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

So what is the official ruling on an iron sword that has fireblade that hits a troll. Will any damage via the fireblade and damage bonus be doubled once armour is penetrated?

No.

Example: 3d6 fire blade gets you 12 and damage bonus gets you 4, total 16, the troll has 8 points of armor so 8 gets through. Would the full 8 get doubled to 16? i assume yes or it gets clunky...

No

Additionally if the sword were enchanted to do double damage against darkness creatures would (assume again once armor is penetrated) the 16 doubled by iron would now become 32?

No, the Fireblade replaces the weapon damage. Per the Firelade Q&A.

You either have the sword's special abilities or the fireblade spell. Not both.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Does it keep its improved HP from being en enchanted iron weapon?

In my mind, yes. The spell states "This replaces the normal damage done by the weapon." It does not state it replaces the HP of the weapon. Would we allow the players to cast Fireblade on a bronze sword with one remaining HP and say it now has 12 HP for the duration? Of course not.

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Cast more powerful dull blade, say 4 points and it's a big turn, -20% to hit -4 damage versus 3d6.

I know everyone (rightly) go for Sleep on their CA cultists, but a big Dullblade is hilarious in boss fights.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Just by chance was reading through TotRM 08, strangely enough the broo in question should have had a d4 damage bonus but it wasn't included in the stats. I suppose if we ever run this this horror they will get 3d6+d4+6:

image.png.4d440a80d94d0736550c55b4e13fc964.png image.png.9b07015858689da7eed27fa53dd6e6f4.png

Never mind the Fireblade + Bladesharp - my players would rebel against a burning, poisoned, infected weapon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Just by chance was reading through TotRM 08, strangely enough the broo in question should have had a d4 damage bonus but it wasn't included in the stats. I suppose if we ever run this this horror they will get 3d6+d4+6:

image.png.4d440a80d94d0736550c55b4e13fc964.png image.png.9b07015858689da7eed27fa53dd6e6f4.png

That entry is wrong. Bladesharp is incompatible with Fireblade (see the spell description). And even if it were not incompatible, Bladesharp adds to the damage of the weapon. Fireblade replaces the weapon damage. So Bladesharp cannot add to the damage of the Fireblade.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bren said:

That entry is wrong. Bladesharp is incompatible with Fireblade (see the spell description). And even if it were not incompatible, Bladesharp adds to the damage of the weapon. Fireblade replaces the weapon damage. So Bladesharp cannot add to the damage of the Fireblade.

"this is chaos, Ulforg can do this!"

• Thanks 1